Random Rough Idle - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - Drivetrain Talk

Closed Thread

Laetus_Lupus

Random Rough Idle - Posted: 11-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Post #1

2004 ram 3.7 5sp 75k miles

I've read a lot of similar threads but nothing really hit my problem dead on

I've had the truck for about 6 months, about 2 months ago I came to a stop and the engine idle dropped to around 400 and was shaking hard, (normal cold idle is 1000 warm is approx 700) then it cleared up in a few seconds with out me doing anything before taking off, then a few weeks after that it did it again, if I gave it gas it would rev up fine but drop to 400 again with rough idle and then cleared up on takeoff. the last 2 times it did this, again weeks apart, it seemed worse, I thought it might die but never did, as I took off it run rough and barely accel. and the engine light was blinking but as soon as i got over 2500rpm it cleared up and took off like a bat out of hell.

The hesatation reminds me of a 86 ranger i had that got moisture in the fuel a lot but it had problems all the time, not intermittently. I have a short drive to work so it never acts up cold, only after it warms up.

This may not be connected, but when I got the truck, I noticed it started knocking a bit under 2000 rpms with moderate to heavy accel. engine code said misfire cyl 1, so I changed the plugs, probably the first tune up it had,fixed that problem. I'm the second owner, amazing the truck didn't act up until after I bought it.
I wonder why all the problems clear up at high rpms? I would think it would stutter all the way through the rpms if it had a real problem.

The truck has always had a slight rough Idle just enough to let you know its running, most vehicles do, the idle I'm talking about feels like its going to shake itself apart or something. The only thing I could compare it to is that ranger. One cold morning I started it, it didn't want to run, gave it gas to keep running but i swear it felt like it was running on 2 cylenders. or compare the shaking to an earthquake

back to the dodge
just did the key trick, no codes.

What could be causing this problem?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Laetus_Lupus

Posted: 11-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Post #2

I may have solved this. I filled up and add two bottles of stp fuel treatment due to the 30+ gallon tank I got. I guess it worked. that stuff cleans injectors, removes moisture etc. well, until next time.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Laetus_Lupus

Posted: 12-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Post #3

Nope, did it again today, worse as ever. In about a 10 minute time span, I'm driving along and then it starts to bog down and run rough, engine light flashing. when I came to a stoplight it idles real low shaking truck but didn't die. then I take off and it runs real rough and then straightens up a few seconds and starts running rough again. about 2 minutes from my house it straightens up again all the way home it's fine like nothing ever happened. did the key trick, no codes. Confusing as hell. Could it be moisture in the fuel? I'd change the fuel filter if it wasn't in the tank. If I had a bad sensor somewhere wouldn't I get a code? Any one have this problem?

BlackSmoke1989

Posted: 12-11-2007, 07:01 PM
The Silver Bullet
City: Louise
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

go to oriellys and find out what is causing the code to pop up

Member "The Red Truck Club" #245

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
K&N Air Filter.
More mods to come soon!

piper18

Posted: 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #5

Sound like the throttle body needs to be cleaned or EGR valve.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs

MikeHTally

Posted: 12-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Got 2 Hemis
City: Tallahassee, FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper18
Sound like the throttle body needs to be cleaned or EGR valve.
TB was my first guess. Maybe it wants plugs? Is the air filter clean?

'03 1500 QCSB Hemi
Vent shades/15% tint
A.R.E. Tonneau/Bed Rug
Nerf step bars
Rear LED light bar/LED frt. turn signals
LED tails & 3d brake light/White Night backup lamps & LED interior lights
Halos/projector headlights KC HiLites Titanium Driving lights
Tailgate Easy Lift & EZ Down
E&G Classics mesh grill
WeatherTech Floor Liners
Overhead console with HomeLink
JVC KD-AR780 Receiver & CH-X1500 Changer
Jensen 6x9 3-way up frt., 5 1/4" 2-way rear
GenTex auto-dimming mirror & Towing mirrors
Fender liners & Ram splash guards
Silver Truck Club Member #140
S.N.A.T.C.H. Club Member 666-666
2 1/2" level kit
Jetstream Scoop/Power Wire
MagnaFlow Stainless Cat-back SI/DO
TrueFlow intake kit
Hellwig 7651 sway bar
Flex-a-lite Black Magic Extr. 180 Elect. Fan
Dick Cepek Chrome DC-1s/Bridgestone Revo2 285/70

Laetus_Lupus

Posted: 12-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Post #7

OK, this morning, I started it up and the engine light stayed on. the whole trip to work was pretty good it only had slight hesitation a few times but barely noticable. When I got to work I did the key thing, it said P 0300, I looked up my haynes manual. It said misfire multiple cylinders.I put a bottle of gas line anti-freeze/water remover in to eliminate that variable(I hadn't added any this tank). I drove it a couple miles to get lunch. it seemed fine for the most part, just a little hesitation around 1400 rpm's. I stopped at the store on my way home afterwork. It drove fine except the engine light was on(I'm not extremely concerned because i know why) first and second gear are fine, third at about 1400 rpm's it hesitates and then fine in fourth cruising at 1500. I noticed if I baby it in third it won't hesitate but if I give it about half throttle it does. I wonder why?

I can't believe its the sparkplugs, they only have 2k miles on them. Its cold this time of year so I'm afraid it will have to wait til spring to clean a throttle body or egr valve unless I can do it in 15 minutes. How much would a shop charge?

Last edited by Laetus_Lupus : 12-12-2007 at 07:05 PM.

BlackSmoke1989

Posted: 12-12-2007, 10:46 PM
The Silver Bullet
City: Louise
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

It's not really hard to clean those things, considering a shop around here charges 50 dollars an hour, i would rather do it myself for 10

Member "The Red Truck Club" #245

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
K&N Air Filter.
More mods to come soon!

Laetus_Lupus

Posted: 12-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Today I left early this morning. It was dark, rainning and cold. If a vehicle is going to act up, this is usually it. But it didn't. Drove all the way to walmart with the engine light on but it drove perfectly fine. when I left walmart the engine light when off. seem fine now. I guess the ISO-HEAT water remover/antifreeze worked. which leaves the question:

Why do I have moisture in my fuel?

if that is the correct conclusion.

Laetus_Lupus

Posted: 12-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Post #10

I'm planning on continuing this thread here:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184616

siiturbo

Posted: 12-15-2007, 01:10 AM
City: Grapevine/Dallas
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #11

So did you say you did a tune-up on it with new spark plugs and everything?
Focal Component Speakers (Front)
Infinity Kappa (Rear)
Rockford Fosgate HX2 10" Sub (FOX Box)
Boss GT1500D Amp
Side-Steps (need modified)
OEM Fog lights
NGK 6987 Sparkplugs
Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift
Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust 3"in, Dual 2.25"out
20% Tint so you can't see up in my window lol
Motive 4.56gears
Auburn LSD
Superchips

Future aspirations:
Rebuild motor nice and beefy
Add Supercharger or Turbo

Laetus_Lupus

Posted: 12-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Post #12

I changed the sparkplugs, air filter, and pcv valve. What else is there to a tune up on these modern trucks?

piper18

Posted: 12-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Great View
City: Fond du Lac
State: WI
Post #13

check oil levels in the rear end and tranny.

Member of the Red Truck Club #231

Switch installed in chime circuit to turn off chime Click to learn How To add a switch to the chime circuit
Installed MDS indicator light on dash ---Click to learn How To install a MDS light
Tools Box w/ lights inside tided to cargo light
Custom made deer guard 2" pipe
Sportsmaster Tonneau cover w/top gun fabric
Mopar rear wheel liners
Iron Cross stainless 3" step bars
Tailgate open indicator light
9005 fog light bulbs
Closed Thread