1996 Dakota window wind noise - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 1st Gen (87 -96) Forum

Closed Thread

havanail

1996 Dakota window wind noise - Posted: 11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Post #1

I have a 1996 Dakota club cab. At speeds 60 mph and above and running in winds it develops a high pitched howl at the door windows, also does this when passing or meeting a large truck. When it is making this noise you can feel a very rapid vibration when touching the window. Even lowering the window a little does not stop the noise, the window must be lowered by half to three quarters of an inch or more to stop the noise, and by then you have normal wind noise for an open window. All weather stripping and seals appear intact and in good condition. Thanks for any help.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Autoglass

Posted: 11-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Autoglass
City: Louisville
State: KY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Have your doors realigned / adjusted, They are probably out of proper settings. Is the top of the doors able to move accessively? This is a idea from an old friend who ran a bodyshop.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RPMRamFury

Posted: 11-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Cant see me
State: ND
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

All the 1g dakota's I've ridden in have that wind noise from the factory.

Dakotah18

Posted: 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Troubleshooter
State: IL
Post #4

my '95 and '93 don't have this noise, but my guess would be a bad door seal or misaligned door

'92 Dodge Ramcharger Canyon Sport 4x4 5.2L - 169,000 miles on body, egr and cat delete, rebuilt engine and transmission, windshield visor with marker lights and ram head with lighted eyes----sold

'95 Dakota 4X4 SLT 318 - 245,000 miles, Duals, CAI, 2 Toolboxes, amber lightbar, side mounted lights, 12V outlets in bed, 150W power inverter, fogs and secondary reverse lights, strobes, all factory options, 31" tires, drop-in bedliner, bedlined lower panels, 2nd gen rear bumper, several aftermarket mods. Planning to add more strobes and lights----sold

Bandit22

Posted: 11-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Post #5

well there are no adjusting the doors all hinges welded. I learned this by hitting a deer buyin a door and having a nitemare with getting it to line up and not howl had to crank the top of the door in to adjust it but after we were done all is good. The wind will howl if only a fraction out so crankin the top of the door helps

havanail

Posted: 11-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Post #6

Yes, I forgot to mention that I had a body shop look at it and they told me that the hinges were welded from the factory and were not adjustable. They checked the fit of the door seals and the window seals were in good shape and they seemed to be properly adjusted. I have the factory service manual and under wind noises they said to check to see if it had all the plugs in engine compartment and door hinges in place and sealed to keep air from entering the cab as that could cause the noise (the noise is very annoying) but I find no problems that I can see. They caution that adjustments to door and window seals could cause other problems such as premature wear on seals and problems latching the doors. They also said that some window noises can occur when running in high crosswinds, but I have noticed that noise also always occurs at higher speeds even without crosswinds. I love this truck, but I can't stand those noises (happens with both windows.)

dizzyD

Posted: 11-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Registered MOPAR User
City: 714
State: CA
View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #7

I had a hinge pin go bad on my old 93 Dak, but b4 it broke, i had a door alignment issue. I never had wind noises b4, also the door side of the striker could be loose not allowing the door to close correctly, This is just input to look at. How does the weather stripping looK?

1999 Durango SLT+ leather, 360ci 4x4, hughes plenum rebuild, superchips 3865, tow pkg, 3.55 LSD, rear tail light guard, K&N CAI, FM 50MM TB, crystal clear headlights, Torsion/shackle lift, Rancho RSX's, Pacesetter headers, dual trans & oil temp a-pillar pod, chrome deep trans pan, drilled & slotted rotors, 10 disc cd changer.

2004 Ram 1500 SLT 2WD QC LB 345ci, FM 84MM TB, slotted brake rotors, step bar, diamond plate pedals, locking gas door, tow package w/ 3.55 lsd, Hellwig LP-15, shell and carpet kit, 18% door window tint, Magnaflow 12641, Slammed1's 3" spindle lift and 2.5 coil spacer, rear lift shackles, Airraid MIT, superchips 3815, 6K front winch & custom Winch Plate, Autometer phantom trans gauge mounted in Mopar SRT A-Pillar single pod, lumber/roof rack, Rancho 9000X shocks, ATS fender flairs, 1" BL, gap guards, black grille, silver painted bezel(soon 2b white)
Next: HD rear lift bags

Gone but not forgotten 93 factory freak CC dakota lifted 4x4 318
Closed Thread