Park lights won't shut off until fuse pulled. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

budman-mo

Park lights won't shut off until fuse pulled. - Posted: 10-15-2007, 10:25 AM
City: Columbia
State: MO
Post #1

This is my first Dodge so unsure if this is a "typical - easy fix" or a real pain.
It's a 95 2500.

First day I own it, on the way home it gets dark and I turn on the headlights and I have no dash lights. I am smart enough to go check the tail lights, sure enough no tail or park lights, head lights on ok.

I stop at my brothers and start looking, I find a fuse (under the hood) that is pulled out and laying in the fuse box. Sure enough I put it in and the lights work. I then joke to my brother that when I wake up tomorrow and see the lights on or find the battery dead I will know someone pulled it out.

So now the lights work, I turn the lights off and they are still on?
I pull the fuse and they go out.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Please let me know if you have any good suggestions before I start digging.

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

budman-mo

Posted: 10-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Post #2

Surely someone has a suggestion...
I am thinking a screwy headlight switch?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Dave3825

Posted: 10-19-2007, 06:32 AM
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman-mo

So now the lights work, I turn the lights off and they are still on?
I pull the fuse and they go out.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If you pull the fuse and the lights go of then the fuse is good..lol

Seriously it sounds like the headlight switch is fried or if there is a relay in the headlight circuit,it is stuck in the energized position (on) .

Usually the relay carries the heavy amperage load to the headlights and the switch just triggers the relay...

Hopefully someone with a 95 can advise if there is a relay and where its located.

34000 Front u joint blows apart $20.00
38000 Lights blow out on radio Got Kenwood
39000 Tailgate cable snaps $8.00
40000 Ignition wire in column breaks $2.00
42000 Auto window rolldown stops working not fixed
51000 Power steering pump blows $35.00
52000 Multifunction switch blows $87.00
54000 Overdrive in tranny blows $1200.00
60000 Gas steady @ 3.13 a gallon
60106 Plenum repair
61380 Master cyclinder 140.00 (dealer)
61398 Gas down to 2.99
80000 steering box fails
100232 2nd trans dies
100102 ac clutch bearing failed
123256 Fuel pump fails
124562 2nd steering box failed
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Dave3825.jpg

Shortyg

Posted: 10-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Post #4

First thing that I would check is the headlight switch. If it is turned off and the lights stay on, it may be bad. Just unplug it. If the lights go off, you know that the switch is bad. If the lights stay on, it must be further down the line. I would try the parking light relay next.

KTS

Posted: 10-19-2007, 07:34 AM
BoJivin'
City: Marthasville, MO
State: OK
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #5

Heck I think it may be easier to switch the relay with the headlight realy instead of trying to get to the switch, should be the same realy, just pull the parking lights ne, and the headlights one, and then put the headlight one in the parking lights, shouldn't need to mess witht he parking lights one after you pull it since when you put the headlight one in the parking light spot if the lights stay off, you know it's the relay.

It might also be a wire problem somewhere if somebody wired the extra lights or something.
Black Truck Club Member # 88
Black '04 2500 HEMI QC SWB SLT 4x4

Mods:
3'x5' U.S. Flag flying proud.
3'x5' MIA/POW Flag flying to never forget.

Black Gizzly Double-Single Rollbar
Black 3-5"x9" eagle eye off-road lights
2 KC HLites 130watt each
Black Tough Country Deluxe front replacement
Black Superlift 6" Lift
Superlift Dual Steering Stabalizer w/ Black boots
Black lettered 37x13.50x17 Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains
Black 17x9 AWI Daytona's w/ 5" BS
Black Deezee tube steps
Black Coin holder
Black AVS Headlight covers
K&N drop in air filter

Future Mods:

Stats:
1/4 Time: 17.351 seconds @ 78.78 mph
216Hp @ 4500 rpm & 266.3 Tq @ 3800 rpm
COIN HOLDER ASSOCIATION MEMBER #4 S.N.A.T.C.H. SpecOps -- Major Killer Turtle

budman-mo

Posted: 10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Update.
I found the headlight switch and plug melted.
I replaced both, still have the problem.

I don't see any park / headlight relays?
They aren't in the box under the hood, where else?
The fuse I am pulling to turn them off is the trailer lights fuse.
I am thinking bad trailer plug wiring but if there are relays I will try that first.

Give me your thoughts.

budman-mo

Posted: 10-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Post #7

I finally got the time to figure this mess out.

It was a combination of problems.

First the headlight switch pigtail was melted, and the switch was cooked too.
I replaced both.

The second problem was (for reasons that I can only guess) someone had installed trailer adapter plugs /tee's into the stop/tail plugs behind the lights.
These were not hooked to any trailer plug but one tail wire was ran down to the factory trailer wiring into the tail light circuit. This created the "loop" that when energized would keep the lights on.

After finding this and removing it I had no tail lights at all.
Found the fuse (in the inside fuse box) was blown.
I had checked it with a test light and thought it was good but now realize it was showing good because of the loop effect.
Now it all works ok.

I also removed a bunch of old crappy wiring for fog lights and other impossible to understand wires while I was poking around.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to wire on anything

Shortyg

Posted: 10-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Post #8

Great...a little patience and some common sense can get you far! Thanks for the update. It's hard to help very much without seeing what's going on.

Ateup2damax

Posted: 10-29-2007, 12:55 AM
City: Ocoee, FL
State: FL
View This User's Garage
Post #9

ppl, really need to start checking fuses first, instead of some po'dunk redneck engineering to fix electrical problems