Steering Box - Standard Rotation or Reverse Rotation? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

75 Power Wagon

Steering Box - Standard Rotation or Reverse Rotation? - Posted: 10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
'75 Power Wagon
City: Nor Cal
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

well, i got a new steering box for my truck... not thinking anything of it.... put it on... start turning left, and im going right.... so, take it back and its a standard rotation (or suppose to have been)...

does my truck need a reverse rotation?
1 Ton Axles with 4.56 Gears
Ron Francis Wiring

"It was the loudest vehicle i had ever heard in my life!" - Officer Carmen, Orland Police Department
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

75 Power Wagon

Posted: 10-08-2007, 02:44 AM
'75 Power Wagon
Post #2

anyone?
Ron Francis Wiring

"It was the loudest vehicle i had ever heard in my life!" - Officer Carmen, Orland Police Department
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Chump

Posted: 10-08-2007, 03:12 AM
State: CO
Post #3

Yes you need reverse rotation. The great Gods of Engneering designed it this way. Was the part packaged incorrectly? You should be sent to bed without your supper for not researching this before you leaped.
Here's a pic that I modified for us Mopar fans.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gear Box Identification Guide.jpg (105.6 KB, 28 views)

bherder

Posted: 10-08-2007, 08:12 AM
Mopar Madness - Get it...
City: N.E. Washington State
State: OTHER
Post #4

So do the 2WD's and 4WD's use the same box, just 2WD's are 'standard' rotation and the 4WD are 'reverse'?

"There's been a DODGE in my garage since 1974"

Restoration Photos

75 Power Wagon

Posted: 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
'75 Power Wagon
Post #5

ya... please explain what the standard is even used for chump if we need the reverse?
Ron Francis Wiring

75 Power Wagon

Posted: 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM
'75 Power Wagon
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherder
So do the 2WD's and 4WD's use the same box, just 2WD's are 'standard' rotation and the 4WD are 'reverse'?
well, after doing some more research... that's the only conclusion i can make.
Ron Francis Wiring

75 Power Wagon

Posted: 10-08-2007, 04:30 PM
'75 Power Wagon
Post #7

well... to anyone needing a reverse rotation steering box, i found a guy sitting on some for a great price!

Napa gets them for about 215... and kragens website has them for around 170, but they are out of stock... this site can get them to you for under 140 shipped... and it is the same cardone product.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...002146900&rd=1
Ron Francis Wiring

bherder

Posted: 10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 Power Wagon
well, after doing some more research... that's the only conclusion i can make.
Yeah, I'd like to find out for sure .... What I want to do, is get rid of my PS altogether and put in a manual box... I just don't know what to get...

Restoration Photos

AMP762

Posted: 10-08-2007, 07:47 PM
State: SC
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherder
Yeah, I'd like to find out for sure .... What I want to do, is get rid of my PS altogether and put in a manual box... I just don't know what to get...
\

Why would you take the power steering off a 4wd used in the dirt?

bherder

Posted: 10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
Post #10

Eh, I've just never liked PS.... In fact, every Mopar I've ever owned, if there was an option, I took it out

Less junk under the hood... I'm kinda' a fan of 'engine and nuthin' else'

Would allow me to run dual belts on my alt.

Dirt roads aren't really a prob (Some might say that manual steering lets you 'feel' the road better) ... I'm not running any Baja 500's or anything, just going up some seldom used fire/logging roads to where the elk are at

Restoration Photos

AMP762

Posted: 10-08-2007, 10:28 PM
State: SC
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

With Man. steering you'll have a slower ratio,harder to turn at low speed,and you'll surely have more road feel,drop one wheel off in a rut and the steering wheel will tear your thumbs off.Don't ask how I know this.

bherder

Posted: 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP762
With Man. steering you'll have a slower ratio,harder to turn at low speed,and you'll surely have more road feel,drop one wheel off in a rut and the steering wheel will tear your thumbs off.Don't ask how I know this.
Heh heh heh .... I know you're trying real hard to talk me out of it..

But I'm an old guy set in my ways..

Besides, who really needs thumbs?

Restoration Photos

jick

Posted: 10-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Post #13

iam with u on this one ,power steering wears tires far quicker than manual,bin driven dodge 50 6600kgs gross getting three yrs from them yoko tires by the way when u swap to a manuel steering beherder send them old power bits my way

bherder

Posted: 10-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jick
iam with u on this one ,power steering wears tires far quicker than manual,bin driven dodge 50 6600kgs gross getting three yrs from them yoko tires by the way when u swap to a manuel steering beherder send them old power bits my way
I'm kinda' hoping I can sneak the PS unit back in the box for my core charge with nobody noticing...

Restoration Photos

62savoywagon

Posted: 10-12-2007, 08:26 PM
City: South Bend
State: IN
Post #15

I am SO confused now. 1st of all, Bherder is NOT that OLD and are the boxes for the 2 wh and 4 wh drives different !!

bherder

Posted: 10-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Post #16

I am SO confused now. 1st of all, Bherder is NOT that OLD

Hey there Sonny.....

"TURN THAT NOISE DOWN!!"
"Don't you kids have anything better to do?"
"GET OFF my LAWN!!"
"You call THAT entertainment??"
"When I was your age..."
"You don't KNOW what 'hard work' is.."
"You kids don't know NUTHIN' these days!"
"You used to be able to buy that for a nickel.."
"I can remember when..."

Hahahah! I've said em' all! Is that old enough?

and are the boxes for the 2 wh and 4 wh drives different !!

That's what I wanna know!

Restoration Photos

Chump

Posted: 10-13-2007, 12:52 AM
State: CO
Post #17

Here are some part numbers from Lares Corp which is a large rebuilder of steering boxes.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Steering Gear Part Numbers.doc (19.5 KB, 16 views)

75 Power Wagon

Posted: 10-13-2007, 12:55 AM
'75 Power Wagon
Post #18

the 2wd boxes and 4wd boxes mount differently...

4wd = reverse rotation...
2wd = standard rotation...
Ron Francis Wiring

acton mike

Posted: 10-13-2007, 06:40 AM
City: acton ontario
Post #19

you will need to develop the ams of a gorilla with manual steering; at road speed not a problem but parallel parking will cause a sweat to appear on your forehead

bherder

Posted: 10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by acton mike
you will need to develop the ams of a gorilla with manual steering; at road speed not a problem but parallel parking will cause a sweat to appear on your forehead
I haven't had to parallel park in ... Oh 30 years, and my wife at times accuses me of being some sort of primate ... So I guess I'm good to go!

Hey, you can look at it this way.. If your wife or doctors says 'you need to get some more exercise' you just go drive your truck for an hour!

Restoration Photos

Closed Thread