Rear door hinge pin - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge/RAM Van & Cargo Truck Forums > Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003

Closed Thread

landyacht318

Rear door hinge pin - Posted: 09-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Off the Grid
State: CA
Post #1

The hinge pin on my 89 b250 rear door on the bottom is broken. I know the best thing to do would be to visit a J/Y and replace the whole hinge. Knowing I could be opening a can of worms with this, I decided to try to loosen the bolts on the body and door side. The Pb blasted bolts didn't care to budge and I was not in the mood to force / strip and bend the door/ body pillar.

I want to just somehow manage to extract the old hingepin and replace it with a stainless clevis pin or similar.

From what I can see the bottom of the current broken pin is tapered. Is it also threaded or have any other method of keeping it in place other than years of corrosion?

Anybody have experience with these hinges/hingepins and some advice? The way murphy's law has been treating me lately I can just imagine the possibility of another embarassing severe temper tantrum that has the neighbors calling the cops.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

alloro

Posted: 09-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Elder User
Post #2

It will take a good punch and a heavy hammer to drive that pin out. A press is out of the question since you can't get the hinge assembly off. One mis-swing and you're going to smash your hand or the body of the van, then of course the cops will show up.

Know anyone with air tools or a breaker bar that you can use on those bolts? If you chose to disclose your approximate location, maybe someone on this board with the tools can help out.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

landyacht318

Posted: 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Off the Grid
Post #3

I have not really tried to hard yet to get the bolts off. I put about 3/4 of my body weight (220#) on the rachet and said the heck with it. I got a so many other things on my list. I knew 2 years ago this pin was busted, and just tied the hinge together with some rope and hammered a wooden wedge in between the rope and hinge, and it worked pretty well.

Part of the reason I'm looking to just replace the hinge pin is that I have not found any junk yards within 50 miles. (Sarasota, Florida) and I got a quote from some used auto parts place for 65+ dollars + 15 dollars shipping. I can get a nice 304 stainless clevis pin for 7 $ at the local ACE hware.

I was thinking I could grind off the top rounded part of the pin and Either hammer out the broken pieces from the top, or use a gear puller to push the pin out. If the pin has to come out from the bottom then It complicates things, and I'll just look for another piece of rope and an oak wedge
and call it macaroni.

alloro

Posted: 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
Elder User
Post #4

I don't believe it's a tapered pin, if it was there would be no need to have a head on it. If you were to grind the head off, you could probably hammer it downward.

van-nut

Posted: 09-07-2007, 09:56 PM
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
City: Arvada, CO
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

I've never messed with one, but I believe the pins are just a press fit into the hinges. How much of a press I'm not sure. I believe that somewhere once I saw a tool made specifically for door hinge pins. Maybe if you have a large enough "C" clamp you might be able to rig up a make shift press. A hammer and punch might work, but don't go too crazy with the hammer.

Pete

landyacht318

Posted: 09-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Off the Grid
Post #6

Thanks for the replies.

I'm gonna grind the head off and take a whack at it, or a gear puller/ c clamp type of pusher, or a cobalt drill bit. Failing that, another rope with an oak wedge.

stev

Posted: 09-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Seating for 12
City: Nashville
State: TN
Post #7

Do you know what is WORSE than getting those door hinge pins out?

Well ...

Having to remove any of the tail lamp lenses and the head to the screw breaks off! Talk about it being a real pain! Even more so since the bulb needs to be changed to pass vehicle inspection!

So, I do feel for you changing out that pin.

I'm surprised that Nate and the other guys havn't chimmed in yet. They have removed doors and a few put in gull-wing side doors on too. They have to know the tricks to get that pin out without damaging anything.

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(50)*
*DodgeTalk.com Ram Van/Wagon Member #(1)*

landyacht318

Posted: 09-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Off the Grid
Post #8

I managed to find a photo of some 70-77 plymouth cargo door hinge pins. I would like to know if anyone knows if the hinges are the same up through the '89 model year.
Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-77...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c8_1.jpg (24.6 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by landyacht318 : 09-09-2007 at 02:38 AM.

landyacht318

Posted: 09-09-2007, 02:37 AM
Off the Grid
Post #9

Found the answer to my own question.

Chrysler 2-3/4" x 17/64"(.266") x 9/16" (.56")
- Dodge, Plymouth Vans
- 1970-up Cargo doors, side or rear

The above photo makes it look like the head of the broken pin would rather be pushed up from the bottom. I also noted that my 3rd and most used door has fallen badly out of alignment over the last few months and could probably use new pins and bushings.

I'm gonna make my own removal tool with a large c clamp, a large enough socket and a # 12 or 1/4 inch machine bolt. Bet I still turn the neighborhood black with curses.

Last edited by landyacht318 : 09-09-2007 at 02:50 AM.

van-nut

Posted: 09-09-2007, 11:10 AM
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
City: Arvada, CO
Post #10

It looks like if you can push the pin upwards enough to get the splined section out you'll be home free at that point.

Pete

Dodgevanman

Posted: 09-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

If you could only get the old hinge off, it would save a lot of headaches. Those pins get so rusted in that you'll never get them out. My father-in-laws 85 Dodge has both pins broken on one of the rear doors. I went to my local pick-n-pull and got both hinges for 10 bucks. It tooks us a total of 15 minutes to change both hinges. Of course we already had the interior panel removed so we could get to the bolt heads.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975

landyacht318

Posted: 09-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Off the Grid
Post #12

Nate,

I'm sure your right about the difficulty in removing the hinge pins, but I can't find any junkyards within 50 miles, and those that I've called that are farther away have quoted $20+ per hinge, and that was for a chevy van. They were trying to tell me they were identical.

I put some torque on all my hinges today and found significant slop in all but one. Suprisingly, I can find very little rust around any of them (at least on the exterior. I'm going with the replacement hinge pins, and I'm gonna soak em all in pb blaster every day for a week, and make the proper tool.

stev

Posted: 09-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Seating for 12
Post #13

As for the door being badly out of alignment, I've used a floor jack and a few 2x4's to gently and slowly push them up until the doors sprung bad into the proper alignment. Most of the time you'll need to overtravel the jack so as the door will spring into alignment. Doing it in increments works the best.

landyacht318

Posted: 09-09-2007, 09:38 PM
Off the Grid
Post #14

The doors are sagging just because of the hinge pin/ bushing slop. My 3rd door top hinge has about 7 mm of play back and forth. I bet that pin is about ready to shear
You have given me an Idea. I might rig up some sort of system using a small bottle jack to push the hinge pins up and out through the top. The one C clamp I have will be inadequate. I do have access to a giant gear puller which should work on the top hinges

landyacht318

Posted: 09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Off the Grid
Post #15

Here is the tool I was envisioning. Others envisioned it first.

I need a bigger C clamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinge_pin.jpg (24.4 KB, 5 views)

stev

Posted: 09-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Seating for 12
Post #16

Wow, we have a great artist here! I could never drawing something up that good in Paint!

landyacht318

Posted: 09-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Off the Grid
Post #17

I didn't create that illustration, I copied it from some site when searching for hinge pin removal tools.

I tried my HD gear puller tool on my third door hinges today, The nipple on the drive pusher basically dug into the hinge pin without budging it.

There is no way the illustrated tool could put out more force than the gear puller.

Maybee with a weeks worth of penetrant and some heat it would move.

I think I'm gonna make another effort to find a local junkyard and replace the whole damn hinge. I was able to bust the bolts loose on the broken one. The only real bad door is the third, and it might just stay that way.

Dodgevanman

Posted: 09-11-2007, 06:19 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

Tell you what...how many hinges do you need?

I can go down to my local pick n pull and pull some hinges and send them to you. I can't guarantee color match, but I can get you some good hinges.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975

landyacht318

Posted: 09-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Off the Grid
Post #19

Nate,

Incredibly kind offer! I just might take you up on it. However, I've already ordered the hinge pin kit(for 4 hinges) for $15.50 delivered, and really want to try to get the old pins out first.

The broken hinge I was able to remove from van and door but am still unable to budge the pin in 2 of the 3 holes. I tried the gear puller, propane torch, and a BFH. I'm thinking machine shop or a 17/64 colbalt drill bit on my old man's drill press. So far I've even managed to keep my temper in check. I guess whalin on something with a BFH is a pretty good outlet even when accomplishes nothing.

What would a machine shop do If I showed up with the hinge? Hydraulic press? Drill? How much you think they'd charge?

alloro

Posted: 09-11-2007, 07:59 PM
Elder User
Post #20

A shop will press them out, you cannot drill them since the pins are hardened steel. I suspect you'd be looking at $5 per hinge, which is pretty fair.
Closed Thread