Liftgate Problems! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango - Interior/Exterior

Closed Thread

GI Jones

Angry Liftgate Problems! - Posted: 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
City: Highlands Ranch
State: CO
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Is there a way to release the liftgate manually? The Servo that unlocks the lift gate crapped out while on vacation in South Dakota and now I can't open the lift gate. Any help would be appreciated Thanks.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Hemi4wheeling

Posted: 09-01-2007, 10:02 AM
City: United States
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #2

Oh crap! I have not clue, have you checked the manual.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

GI Jones

Posted: 09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Yeah, I checked the manual and nothing. I guess I have to visit the dealer on this one.

abcone

Posted: 09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
State: NH
Post #4

Can't find anything in the service manual on this but there has to be a way to manually do it otherwise you could not change out the latch. My guess would be that it has something to do with removing the 1 inch plastic circle in the lift gate interior trim panel and fishing down a thin metal rod to manually unlock the latch.

Hemi4wheeling

Posted: 09-01-2007, 02:57 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Some people are thinking.

Hemi4wheeling

Posted: 09-01-2007, 03:11 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #6

According to the service manual, it appears that you can gain access through that grommet on the inside of the hatch.

GI Jones

Posted: 09-01-2007, 09:44 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

I crawled in the back today and removed the trim circle and the liftgate light and couldn't feel anything with my fingers but I will try removing the trim circle again and fishing something down there tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys

GI Jones

Posted: 09-01-2007, 09:48 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Once I do gain access and get the back panel off. Is replacing the servo mechanism something I could do in the driveway or should I still take it in to the service department? Again thanks for the responses

snhudurango

Posted: 09-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Swamp Yankee
City: Northeast Kingdom
State: VT
Post #9

Confused? I have a handle on my 04' liftgate from the outside. What do you have that I do not?

2004 Dodge Durango 4.7L 136,143 Miles -TRADED

GI Jones

Posted: 09-01-2007, 10:59 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

I have a release on the out side too. The servo that controls the locking mechanism on the keyless entry crapped out in the locked position and I cannot open the liftgate.

Hemi4wheeling

Posted: 09-02-2007, 09:38 AM
View This User's Garage
Post #11

You can replace it in the driveway. Go to http://www.2ndgendurango.com/extras/Service_Manual.zip
("save as" the link) THis will guide you through the whole process.)

GI Jones

Posted: 09-02-2007, 01:09 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Thanks for the link. I'm in the process of downloading it right now. Thanks again for the help.

GI Jones

Posted: 09-08-2007, 02:11 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #13

Yeah, It works again! and I didn't have to do a thing. It just started working again. So I'm going to leave it alone for now. I did pull the covers off just to see how things were set up and it seems to be easy to replace in the driveway if it come to that. Thanks again to all of you that answered back and a big thanks to HEMI4Wheeling for sending the link for the service manual.

Hemi4wheeling

Posted: 09-08-2007, 07:24 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #14

No problem! That is what this forum is all about!

sngorman

Posted: 09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Post #15

I had the same problem about 2 months ago, it would work and then quit and then for no apparent reason it would work again. The only way to open it was to lock and unlock the doors until the servo worked again. Took it to the dealer and had the fix it under warrantee.

GI Jones

Posted: 09-29-2007, 10:00 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Well, It Crapped out again. I went to the dealer and purchased the parts from the local dealer and will attemp to install it tomorrow. I will let you all know how things work out.

GI Jones

Posted: 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #17

Just got finished with the install and Yeah! I have access to the Liftgate again. I was a very easy driveway install. Just a matter of removing the trim panels, Removing 3 star head bolts, disconnecting the 2 wiring connectors, the rod that connects to the exterior handle, and swap out the assemblies.

dmrhoades

Posted: 06-02-2008, 03:09 PM
City: charlottesville Va
Post #18

I know this is old, but after searching I cant find any other threads on this. I need the same part. do you know the name of the servo? I tried to get one from my local dealer and they looked at me like I was crazy?

Gold5th

Posted: 06-02-2008, 07:31 PM
City: Athabasca, Canada
State: AB
View This User's Garage
Post #19

some places call it a seloniod... most dealerships can pull of a picture of the liftgate from there you should be able to point at the part and say that thing...

*just incase nobody has the part # handy.

Military Truck Club #82|LED/DASH Light Conversion Member #4|Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #68 | Hemi Owners Club Member #28.5
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi with 6spd, LSD, auto 4x4, aFe CAI
04 Dodge Durango Limited - 5.7L Hemi - Mine - Magnaflow cat back, AirRaid CAI, Black Magic 180 E-fan(waiting to be installed), 4300K Bi-Xenon HID Headlights, 5000K HID Fog lights. SuperChips 3865. Custom Amber roof top LED wrecker light bar. 44" 24,000LM LED light bar on the roof. Body line down paint matched bed liner.
02 Chrysler Neon R/T - 2.0L HO 1/2 a Hemi - Hers - AEM CAI, 4200K HID headlights, 3200K HID in fogs

Closed Thread