'97 Caravan 3.3 dies when put in gear - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

OrangeEXS

'97 Caravan 3.3 dies when put in gear - Posted: 08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Post #1

The Caravan stalls as soon as I put the automatic transmission in gear. If I gas it a lot as I put it in gear, I usually get going, but it it chugs and learches until up to speed - where it seems to run normally. Stop and it stalls again - but re-starts perfect everytime, just stalls when I move the shift lever to drive (drive, L, or 3, same result).

I did the trouble code trick, and read a 1-2 (battery disconnected in last 50 starts), which I believe is because I pulled the battery cable overnight to reset the computer.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! thanks, john c.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

tactransman

Posted: 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Transmission Man!
City: Gerald, Mo.
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

It sounds like your torque converter is going bad and staying engaged.(locked) Is the fluid dark and smelly?
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

OrangeEXS

Posted: 08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Post #3

Fluid looks good. Changed about 7k miles ago. There is no "bump" on putting it in gear, the engine just instantly dies or cuts off (unless I gas it pretty good at the same time, then it does bump and move forward). I'm not an expert, but if the TC was engaged, wouldn't I get a "bump" just before the engine dies even without gassing it?

I borrowed a loaner code reader from Auto Zone and will try that tonight - see if it gives any more detail than the ignition on-off-on-off-on code test.

thanks, john c.

tactransman

Posted: 08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Transmission Man!
City: Gerald, Mo.
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

No bump,just instant kill of the engine like you dumped a clutch at idle.
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

vabear

Loss of Power - Posted: 08-30-2007, 12:38 PM
City: Poquoson, VA
State: VA
Post #5

I would be suspicious of the idle control valve, the code scan is an excellent idea, I get mine done at Advance for free.

OrangeEXS

Posted: 08-30-2007, 11:22 PM
Post #6

OK, I take that back. There is a "bump" when I put it in gear, and it is fairly substantial, I must have missed that in all the excitement. Perhaps your original diagnosis is correct. The code reader comes up empty - no codes to report. Anything else I can do to test or otherwise firmly diagnose this problem?

thanks, john c.
Closed Thread