Dealer said transfer case needs replaced because of one failed bearing? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 AM
klfeck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dealer said transfer case needs replaced because of one failed bearing?

So I took my 2001 Durango into the dealer for what I thought was a wheel bearing replacement. The truck makes a womp womp womp sound when turning at low speeds. The dealer calls me back and says the wheel bearings are fine but that the vibration is coming from a bad bearing in the transfer case. . That failed bearing is causing the front driveshaft to vibrate. The service manager said that Dodge recomends replacing the entire transfer case. It seems very odd to me that they want to replace the entire tranfer case for a failed bearing. By the way the cost is $1600. I have been living with this noise for a few years and it does not seem to be getting any worse. I tend to believe that since the truck already has 105,000 miles I should just let it go until it fails then replace it myself with a used unit from a salvage yard. Why would they not just replace the failed bearing? Any thoughts?

Last edited by klfeck; 08-23-2007 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Additonal information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM
hemimech

I'd remove the front prop shaft, put the lever or switch in 4X4 high range and drive it for a while. Don't worry you won't hurt it. If the sound is still there its not likely its the transfer case. Does it sound like it is coming from the front of the truck or underneath you?
#3 Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
klfeck

(Thread Starter)
Funny thing is that I only hear it when I am making slow speed turns. Now the dealer did say that my tires are cupped and I do hear a hum while on the highway, so that hum could be the cupped tires or the front shaft from the transfer case vibrating. What is the worst that can happen if that bearing totally fails? Will it just get louder and louder and make the 4x4 worthless or could it cause damage to the front axle or transmission?
#4 Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 PM
hemimech

A failing bearing in the t-case will slowly get louder then eventually spin its outer shell in the case. At that point the aluminum case will be junk. A reputable 4X4 or gear shop would do a rebuild on the t-case for a lot less than your dealer quote. Slow turns would cause the spider gear asmy. in the front axle to rotate rapidly...possible source of noise. So check the fluid level in the front diff. My 2000 DN RT has a front prop shaft with a double cardian u-joint set up(at the back of the front prop shaft) The pivot ball in the center of the joint went bad on mine, causing a light thump at slow speeds. I'm not sure if your 01 has that style joint or not, sometime in 01-02 they went to a CV type of coupling at the rear of the front shaft. Take a friend for a ride to try and isolate the location of the noise before you spend big money on something you might not need.
#5 Old 08-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Kinjirra

I learned a long time ago that dealers will always try and get you to spend the most money you can even if they can fix it for cheaper.

Example...Took a chevy 2-10 into the dealer for a low RPM missfire. Mech told me the engine was shot and I needed a replacement asap or I should buy a new Truck. I drove that truck for 3 more years with no problems.

Example Two: My Ex had an old model Dodge car(late 80's) that she was having tons of problems with. After she spent 1500 bucks in repairs the dealership told her to buy a new car because they couldnt fix the problem, the car was just too old. I replaced the TPS and did a tune-up, Car is still running fine and its been 5 years now.

Now I dont know your dealer but be very leery about them since INMO they are just out to screw you.

1998 Dodge Durango SLT 5.2L 4x4

Bone stock for now.....
#6 Old 08-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Don Fox

klfeck:

What T case do you have (NV233 or 244), and where are you located? I happen to have a 100% good NV233 with 56K that I need to find a home for. This was removed only because I installed an NV244 case to have the AWD option.

I want $249 + UPS shipping from 45056 to your door or if you are close we will meet somewhere in between .

Let me know if you are interested.

Don

2004 SLT Hemi Durango AWD Flame Red
w/ 3.55 gears. New in the stable since 03/26/10.

05 Linen Gold Pearl Grand Caravan SXT
w/3.8L (hers) since 09/30/06
#7 Old 08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
Dakotah18
Troubleshooter

dealers always try to get more, especially now when the car market is not at its best, they gotta make it up somewhere.

To the victims and their families of the shooting at Northern Illinois University, my heart and prayers go out to you. 02-14-08 Will not be forgotten.
'08 Chevy Impala SS 5.3L - 122,000 miles, all factory options, 20% Tint rear and 45% tint front, police horn

'92 Dodge Ramcharger Canyon Sport 4x4 5.2L - 169,000 miles on body, egr and cat delete, rebuilt engine and transmission, windshield visor with marker lights and ram head with lighted eyes----sold

'95 Dakota 4X4 SLT 318 - 245,000 miles, Duals, CAI, 2 Toolboxes, amber lightbar, side mounted lights, 12V outlets in bed, 150W power inverter, fogs and secondary reverse lights, strobes, all factory options, 31" tires, drop-in bedliner, bedlined lower panels, 2nd gen rear bumper, several aftermarket mods. Planning to add more strobes and lights----sold
#8 Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
klfeck

(Thread Starter)
Transfer Case

I have a 233D. I live in Cincinnati and from what I can tell you are near Oxford. I may be interested in your T case.
#9 Old 09-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Don Fox

kfleck:

If you want, email me at taurusshoguy@yahoo.com. I would enjoy finding a new home for this T case. You are close enough that we could meet in between for some lunch or coffee near Colerain or Tri County.

If you are looking for a good NV-233 T case, this is the one.

Don.

2004 SLT Hemi Durango AWD Flame Red
w/ 3.55 gears. New in the stable since 03/26/10.

05 Linen Gold Pearl Grand Caravan SXT
w/3.8L (hers) since 09/30/06
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.