External Lift Pump 2003 Dodge Ram Diesel - Recalled? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
RichInMaine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
External Lift Pump 2003 Dodge Ram Diesel - Recalled?

I own a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, 5.9L Cummins. I have the stock lift pump installed which is external to the tank, with the lift pump directly bolted to the fuel filter housing.

Question1: Was there an official Dodge recall to replace this external, fuel filter mounted lift pump with an intank lift pump? Is so, could someone direct me to an official Dodge link about it? I have heard of people going from the external lift pump to the intank lift pump but have not found anything official about it.

Question2: If going from the external lift pump to the intank lift pump was an official Dodge move, why was it done? Was it perhaps because the external lift pump (mounted on the fuel filter) was not putting out enough pressure? I have been having a chronic injection pump problem (have already replaced one injection pump and suspect my second injection pump is on its way out) and was wondering if the external lift pump could somehow be tied into my chronic injection pump problem. Does that make sense? Could they somehow be tied together? I do have a pressure guage tied into the inlet to the injection pump and I consistently run 6 to 9 psi at that location; is that too low? The Dodge manual says the lift pump should be able to put out a minimum of 11.5 psi, but of course there will be some pressure drop through the fuel filter and the line between the two pumps.
Closed Thread