Changing dash lights/colors - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 2nd Gen (97 - 04) Forums > 2G Dodge Dakota - Interior/Exterior

Closed Thread

Blakdak00

Lightbulb Changing dash lights/colors - Posted: 07-15-2007, 12:30 AM
City: Richmond
State: MN
Post #1

I was wondering if anyone had changed the lights in the dash before or if it could even be done. I want to get rid of the old green in favor of maybe red/orange. Already have red neons under seats, going to put some under truck, and a few other places inside, but I have these ugly bluish-green lights in my dash. I think it would look sweet with some red LED's instead. Just want to know if anyone else has some input on the idea before I tear my dash apart to find theres nothing I can do. Thanx.

4.7L V-8 with dual strait pipes, dual cone filter high flow intake intake. Pioneer deck, Audiobahn amp., and a Kicker sub. Factory Infinity system (loud an' proud). Set of 32-11.5 ProComp MudTerrains. Mods to continue....
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mopar fan

Posted: 07-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Retired DT Admin
City: Milan
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Here's a *How To* in the Ram forums. It should be pretty much the same for you.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...ht=dash+lights

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

pirahnah3

Posted: 07-15-2007, 01:44 PM
Official qwerty thief
City: wuss-tah
State: MA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

thanks to Yellowkota2k for this writeup that i asaved form a while ago

First off, I know this looks a little weird. Me writing a stupid little how-to, on turning your gauges different colors. Well, of the many things I've done, this is the only one that could apply to EVERY Dakota and Durango out there. Well, if I think of it, it really applies to every vehicle. This is a pretty universal modification. So many people were interested to see how easily they can do it, and what to use. Though I know I could write a how-to on many other different things, this was the one people wanted to see...

1. The bulbs:

They look a little fuzzy, but they're 5-LED Wide Angle 194 LEDs. They can be pruchased below for the different prices listed:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
(scroll down about 3/4 and look for "WLED-x5 LED Wedge Base Bulbs")

Red - $2.79
Green - $4.04
Blue - $4.14
White - $4.29

2. The bases:
In order to use these LEDs on the gauges, you MUST buy new bases for them to go in the gauges. They are 1/2" instrument cluster gauge bases, which can be found at any local auto store which would have this type of stuff. I got mine at Autozone, because it was 9:00 at night, and didn't know where else I could get them quickly. Bad thing is, they cost a whopping $3 each.

3. Now before you track down these parts, you need to know how many to get. If you want to do JUST the gauges, get 5 of each. If you also want the turnsignal lights to be the same color, get 7 of them. I did the turnsignals also, so they would flash bright blue in the daytime instead of standard green. In the end you should end up with either 5 or 7 of these:

4. The rest should be fairly easy. It's just putting them in. Start by removing the dash. If you don't know how to do this, I honestly suggest you to stop, and let someone else do it, because it's the easiest thing do remove in your truck, besides your seatbelt when it's buckled.

5. Remove the gauge cluster. There are 4 screws that hold it in. Once they're out, just pull it away from the dash.

6. On the backside you'll see the stock bulbs. You may need to get a set of pliers to twist them. It really doesn't matter if you break them or not, since you won't be using them anymore. The top two in the center are the turnsignals, the rest are for the gauge lights.

The stock bulbs you will remove look like this:

7. After that, put everything back in. It was that simple. Now your gauges should have went from this:

To this!

This can also be applied to the red LEDs. I'm not sure what color will end up if you use the green or white, since the stock gauges are green, and lighted by white (dim white) bulbs. I know the blue and red will turn then to the exact color of the LEDs you use.

PROUD MEMBER WCPW (the origional thread)

Silver Truck club member #5

Cloudcars.org

1955 1/2 Dodge Town Panel Truck Buildup happeneing
The Green Reaper

2002 Dodge Dakota R/T

Blakdak00

Posted: 07-15-2007, 04:17 PM
City: Richmond
State: MN
Post #4

Sweet, I was hoping someone had done something like this and could explain it all, thanks guys.

4.7L V-8 with dual strait pipes, dual cone filter high flow intake intake. Pioneer deck, Audiobahn amp., and a Kicker sub. Factory Infinity system (loud an' proud). Set of 32-11.5 ProComp MudTerrains. Mods to continue....

w9awx

Posted: 11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
City: waukesha
State: WI
Post #5

What about losing all the needles? Is there something that could be done about them?

zzzz'r

Posted: 12-01-2007, 04:04 PM
City: Clayton, NC
State: NC
View This User's Garage
Post #6

ditto, if the needles are gone all the cool green you saved by doing it yourself goes to the state for speeding tickets

ZZZZ'r 03' QCSB

Sound: Kenwood Headunit, Infinity Kappa Ref on the 4 corners, 10" Alpine Type R in center console, powered bye Alpine 500.1 and Alpine 400.4 amps Motivation: A freaking HEMI!!! with f/m 70 series, AEM cold air, throttle body spacer (I know... bite me), Super Chips tuner, and aux battery installed under back seat Curbside: 6" skyjacker lift, black shorty antenna, spray on bed liner rockers, 15% tint on front to match back, 35" Yoko tires, KC Day-lighters behind the grill, all metal billet grill insert, and one "bad mf'ing i'll cram it up your tail pipe" ranch hand bull nose bumper

zzzz'r

Posted: 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM
City: Clayton, NC
State: NC
View This User's Garage
Post #7

OK i just watched "Trucks" on Spike TV and he installed a new dash cluster kit that included clear needles that show any color light! If i can find the brand I'll post it for all.

ZZZZ'r 03' QCSB

Sound: Kenwood Headunit, Infinity Kappa Ref on the 4 corners, 10" Alpine Type R in center console, powered bye Alpine 500.1 and Alpine 400.4 amps Motivation: A freaking HEMI!!! with f/m 70 series, AEM cold air, throttle body spacer (I know... bite me), Super Chips tuner, and aux battery installed under back seat Curbside: 6" skyjacker lift, black shorty antenna, spray on bed liner rockers, 15% tint on front to match back, 35" Yoko tires, KC Day-lighters behind the grill, all metal billet grill insert, and one "bad mf'ing i'll cram it up your tail pipe" ranch hand bull nose bumper
Closed Thread