How to Install Serpentine Belt in Dodge Caravan 1999? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-11-2007, 03:38 PM
Yash

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How to Install Serpentine Belt in Dodge Caravan 1999?

Hello,

Anyone know how to install Serpentine Belt in 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, as my belt comes off and I installed new one at Pepboys and they installed the regular one not the Gates brand.

Thanks,
Yash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-11-2007, 04:03 PM
Rick99

There should be a diagram under the hood (on the radiator support I think) that will show the proper routing around all the pulleys.

The fact that it keeps coming off suggests that your tensioner may need to be replaced. Something could be mis-aligned, but it's more likely the tensioner.

2003 Durango SLT
AWD, 4.7l
Mods: Remote Start
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l
#3 Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Yash

(Thread Starter)
I saw the diagram that's fine but I need some guidance for installation. Like how to put belt back on the pully.

Thanks,
Yash
#4 Old 07-11-2007, 10:19 PM
TomQuick

There is a tensioner on the engine. It is a pulley mounted to a spring loaded arm. Your routing diagram should identify where the tensioner is. Put a wrench on the bolt in the middle of the tensioner, and use the wrench to pull the tensioner down towards the front / bottom of the engine. This will give you some slack in the belt, so you can get the old one off, and put the new one on. Once the new belt is on, release the tensioner, and it will push against the belt, applying the proper tension to it.
#5 Old 07-12-2007, 09:56 PM
mrbizness1

Put the belt on everything but the idler pulley. Then when you pull on the tensioner all you have to do is slide the belt over the idler pulley. Its much easier than pulling on the tensioner with one hand and trying to put the belt on the tensioner pulley with the other.
#6 Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM
bngreenchev

i own the same year caravan, they make a special tool that comes with different adapters just for changing belts. it is very helpful considering theres not alot of room to work with.
#7 Old 09-30-2007, 03:00 PM
mikemass

I agree with an earlier post. If it is coming off, you have another problem. We had our belt lose a part and came off. It was a bear getting the new one on, especially since it was cold (rain, hail and wind on the side of a busy road). The specialty wrench mentioned earlier is a special tool you can rent or buy from a parts store for serpentine belts. The problem was (at least with ours), the engine mounts were in the way and I couldn't get a good enough swing. I ended up making a tool. Bought a cheap (I think it's a 10mm) combination wrench from the local pawn shop, welded a piece of square tubing into the open end portion of the wrench (slightly off-set to match the angle of the boxed-end portion) so I could put the tensioner and a 1/2" ratchet onto the modified opened-end part of the wrench. Had to file out the piece of square tubing to get the ratchet to fit. But, by doing so it allowed me to swing the ratchet, grab and hold the wrench in place, and swing the ratchet some more, giving me enough of a swing on the tensioner. It is slightly problematic though when releasing it as you need nearly the full swing back, so be careful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.