smog pump??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 1st Gen (88 - 93) Forum

Closed Thread

overANDover1

smog pump??? - Posted: 06-13-2007, 09:23 PM
overandover1
City: lakeland fl
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

my truck a 1990 dodge 150 excab...318 with a 518 trans. anybody have any thoughts on removing the smog pump? how to, and any pros or cons???
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodgevanman

Posted: 06-14-2007, 06:09 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Only remove it if you don't have emissions testing where you live.

Don't know of any "cons" of removing the smog pump.

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

B-300

Posted: 06-14-2007, 11:39 AM
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
State: OTHER
Post #3

The "cons" that I know of are:
1) The catalytic convertor is more likely to become clogged due to overheating. This is because the air pump injects air into the exhaust upstream to help oxidize unburnt hydrocarbons (HC)before they get to the convertor.
2) It's illegal to do so. I experimented on my '78 van and found no loss of power or mileage with the air pump connected so it's still on.
Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300

overANDover1

smog gone...shhh! - Posted: 06-15-2007, 08:15 PM
overandover1
City: lakeland fl
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

thanx guys, we dont have any emissions testing in fl. it's getting custom duals so the cat is gone too.......thanx again.

threetwos

Posted: 06-16-2007, 07:10 AM
AirFuelEddie
City: Terre Haute
State: IN
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

Wanna sell the old pump. I would like to use it on my 360 Magnum.

DodgeThis_AZ

Posted: 12-13-2007, 01:01 PM
City: Scottsdale
State: AZ
Post #6

If you still want one, I'm about to take the smog pump off my brothers RAM with a 360.

2006 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie SRW • Brilliant BLACK • SRT-10 RAM Air Hood • Red Painted Calipers
Banks Power BigHoss Kit • 4” Lift Kit • BFG A/T Tires • Custom Skid plates • Mopar iPod Adaptor
Upgraded 56g Fuel Tank • 115gal Aux. Fuel Tank • Custom Sliders • Slotted Brake Rotors
Warn 16.5ti Winch • Line-X Bed Liner • 18k Firth Wheel • Radar Detector
Buckstop Front & Rear metal Bumpers • Duel Antenna CB

I try to keep it at 2,000 RPM on the highway, but while merging, there is no point in trying to get great mileage if you are about to become a hood ornament for an 80,000 lb Freightliner coming at you.

threetwos

Posted: 12-13-2007, 02:46 PM
AirFuelEddie
Post #7

How much you want for it? Why do you want to take it off? Under acceleration it's not used anyway, it also helps to scavenge the crankcase which aids in keeping oil from leaking and prolongs ring life. The pump itself may use 1-2 hp at the most and then only at rpm's that the truck probably never sees. I would leave it on.

DodgeThis_AZ

Posted: 12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Post #8

I just got done taking the belt off the two smog pumps this truck has. The thing burns fuel like mad so any thing I can do to keep it from doing so I will. If the mileage doesn’t change I mite hook them back up.

I don’t see any point for them to be there at all. Its a rather weird set up. I've never seen an engine with two smog pumps like this truck has. This whole engine set up is different from what the computer says too. Book says it should be a 4BL carb when its TBI, no cats, no 02s, yet two smog pumps. I'm lost.

If my bro doesn’t want the pumps back on, I'll see if he wants to sell them, give them away, or what ever. Will know when he comes to get the truck next week I think. Do you have the mounting brackets for them? The mounting bracket that these are on also holds the P/S pump and reservoir.

2006 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie SRW • Brilliant BLACK • SRT-10 RAM Air Hood • Red Painted Calipers
Banks Power BigHoss Kit • 4” Lift Kit • BFG A/T Tires • Custom Skid plates • Mopar iPod Adaptor
Upgraded 56g Fuel Tank • 115gal Aux. Fuel Tank • Custom Sliders • Slotted Brake Rotors

I try to keep it at 2,000 RPM on the highway, but while merging, there is no point in trying to get great mileage if you are about to become a hood ornament for an 80,000 lb Freightliner coming at you.

threetwos

Posted: 12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
AirFuelEddie
Post #9

No I need the brackets too. It's going on my stroker motor,(512)

DodgeThis_AZ

Posted: 12-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Post #10

All right. I will see what I can do if my brother dosent want them. Theres a bone yard a few miles from here, I will call them and see if they have any 360s with smog pumps I can steal the brackets off of. Or even the whole set up if their cheap enough.

Closed Thread