#1 Old 06-13-2007, 10:23 PM
overANDover1
overandover1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
smog pump???

my truck a 1990 dodge 150 excab...318 with a 518 trans. anybody have any thoughts on removing the smog pump? how to, and any pros or cons???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

Only remove it if you don't have emissions testing where you live.

Don't know of any "cons" of removing the smog pump.

Nate Breece

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
#3 Old 06-14-2007, 12:39 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

The "cons" that I know of are:
1) The catalytic convertor is more likely to become clogged due to overheating. This is because the air pump injects air into the exhaust upstream to help oxidize unburnt hydrocarbons (HC)before they get to the convertor.
2) It's illegal to do so. I experimented on my '78 van and found no loss of power or mileage with the air pump connected so it's still on.

Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300
#4 Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 PM
overANDover1
overandover1

(Thread Starter)
smog gone...shhh!

thanx guys, we dont have any emissions testing in fl. it's getting custom duals so the cat is gone too.......thanx again.
#5 Old 06-16-2007, 08:10 AM
threetwos
AirFuelEddie

Wanna sell the old pump. I would like to use it on my 360 Magnum.
#6 Old 12-13-2007, 02:01 PM
DodgeThis_AZ

If you still want one, I'm about to take the smog pump off my brothers RAM with a 360.

2006 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie SRW • Brilliant BLACK • SRT-10 RAM Air Hood • Red Painted Calipers
Banks Power BigHoss Kit • 4” Lift Kit • BFG A/T Tires • Custom Skid plates • Mopar iPod Adaptor
Upgraded 56g Fuel Tank • 115gal Aux. Fuel Tank • Custom Sliders • Slotted Brake Rotors
Warn 16.5ti Winch • Line-X Bed Liner • 18k Firth Wheel • Radar Detector
Buckstop Front & Rear metal Bumpers • Duel Antenna CB

I try to keep it at 2,000 RPM on the highway, but while merging, there is no point in trying to get great mileage if you are about to become a hood ornament for an 80,000 lb Freightliner coming at you.

#7 Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM
threetwos
AirFuelEddie

How much you want for it? Why do you want to take it off? Under acceleration it's not used anyway, it also helps to scavenge the crankcase which aids in keeping oil from leaking and prolongs ring life. The pump itself may use 1-2 hp at the most and then only at rpm's that the truck probably never sees. I would leave it on.
#8 Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
DodgeThis_AZ

I just got done taking the belt off the two smog pumps this truck has. The thing burns fuel like mad so any thing I can do to keep it from doing so I will. If the mileage doesn’t change I mite hook them back up.

I don’t see any point for them to be there at all. Its a rather weird set up. I've never seen an engine with two smog pumps like this truck has. This whole engine set up is different from what the computer says too. Book says it should be a 4BL carb when its TBI, no cats, no 02s, yet two smog pumps. I'm lost.

If my bro doesn’t want the pumps back on, I'll see if he wants to sell them, give them away, or what ever. Will know when he comes to get the truck next week I think. Do you have the mounting brackets for them? The mounting bracket that these are on also holds the P/S pump and reservoir.

2006 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie SRW • Brilliant BLACK • SRT-10 RAM Air Hood • Red Painted Calipers
Banks Power BigHoss Kit • 4” Lift Kit • BFG A/T Tires • Custom Skid plates • Mopar iPod Adaptor
Upgraded 56g Fuel Tank • 115gal Aux. Fuel Tank • Custom Sliders • Slotted Brake Rotors

I try to keep it at 2,000 RPM on the highway, but while merging, there is no point in trying to get great mileage if you are about to become a hood ornament for an 80,000 lb Freightliner coming at you.

#9 Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
threetwos
AirFuelEddie

No I need the brackets too. It's going on my stroker motor,(512)
#10 Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 AM
DodgeThis_AZ

All right. I will see what I can do if my brother dosent want them. Theres a bone yard a few miles from here, I will call them and see if they have any 360s with smog pumps I can steal the brackets off of. Or even the whole set up if their cheap enough.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.