??? Vapor Lock ~ ~ Orrrrrrrrr ??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

Parson4

Question ??? Vapor Lock ~ ~ Orrrrrrrrr ??? - Posted: 06-07-2007, 01:47 PM
City: Brenda
State: AZ
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

I have a problem with my 79 PW 360 that I had plumb forgot about, because it has been parked out in the pasture for 10 years. Now that I am restoring it to at least good running condition the problem manifested itself again on my last trip to the hills. It only seems to happen on hot days in the summer, which we will have plenty of for the next 3 months, so I need to figure out what is wrong with it.......soooooooooooo I am asking for your "EXPERT" HELPPPPPPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any and allllllllllllllll discussion will be greatly appreciated, and I will follow YOUR instructions on how to check this problem out...and post accordingly.

It acts like their is a vapor lock (does anyone know how to stop vapor locks?), orrrrr that the accelerator pump is not working.

It will be running along just fine, and then it will start missing. It is a lot worse especially when going up hills, to the point of slowing down from 55 mph on the flat to 3 mph going up the hill. If I pull over to the side of the road in the middle of the hill, and shut it off for about 10 minutes, it starts up and runs fine for sometimes up the rest of the hill or sometime for only 50 feet or so and then starts all over again.

When it starts this, if I put it in neutral, it reves up fine, but the moment it is back under load goes right back to no power. The following is what I have, maybe this will help you help me figure it out:

(1) The timing seems to be good as it starts perfectly by just reaching in and turning the key to to start without even being in the truck

(2) It has an electric fuel pump, but still has the mechanical pump in the line as well (don't ask me why), someone told me 20 years ago that the elec. would help assist the mechanical in the mountains

(3) I am pretty sure it is NOT electronic ignition (as I heard they can break down at times during extreme heat)

(4) The vacumn advance is working properly on the dist, as far as I know

NOTE I had it to two diff mechanics several years ago, and they couldn't figure it out, but I just gotta get it running right after all of the money I have put in it now

ANY AND ALLLLLLLLLL HELP WELCOME..........PLEASSSSSE !!

1979 Dodge W200 Powerwagon ~ Me and it are both about wore out !
2006 Jeep Liberty w/top rack & light bar...
1985 Furd 3/4 ton diesel in pristeeeeen condition 87,000original miles...
1967 Furd 1/2 ton in the restoration phaze...
1973 Furd 3/4 ton w/full work body...
1991 Furd 3/4 ton Econoline van with wheel chair lift ~ FINALLLLLLLLLY !
2004 Polaris 600 twin ATV...
2008 POLARIS RANGER ~ Candie Apple Red ~ 4" Lift Kit ~ 2" wheel spacers ~ Oversize 28" tires ~ Nascar racing harness ~ Beefed up roll cage ~ Mix chip,84mph top end ~ 6 8" Helig off road lights.....Still Adding .... FUNNnnn

Honored to be a card carrying active member of the Minutemen

Proud Member #4 of the "You Ain't RIGHT, Boy" Club

Cowhand As Trade, Preacher By Calling

Would You Like To Visit The God Squad?? ~ Clickie Here

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Parson4

Posted: 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

Bumpppppper :d

2008 POLARIS RANGER ~ Candie Apple Red ~ 4" Lift Kit ~ 2" wheel spacers ~ Oversize 28" tires ~ Nascar racing harness ~ Beefed up roll cage ~ Mix chip,84mph top end ~ 6 8" Helig off road lights.....Still Adding .... FUNNnnn

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

B-300

Posted: 06-07-2007, 02:37 PM
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
State: OTHER
Post #3

If its been in the weeds for this long I would replace all the fuel hose and mechanical pump because the MTBE in gasoline will eat these parts over time. Also the carb may need to be rebuilt as gaskets shrink and leak. The accelarator pump piston on the 2bbl carter carbs are leather and will shrink up an fail to work.. This might be the problem. Don't forget to change the fuel filter.
I would also change all of the fluids and flush the cooling system and flush/ bleed the brakes since it hasn't run for so long.
If the gas smells bad you may want to clean the tank. If it's nearly empty you can probably skip this and just dilute with fresh fuel.
Ram Van/Wagon Club Member #4
B-300

Last edited by B-300 : 06-07-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: additional info

Parson4

Posted: 06-07-2007, 03:08 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Thanks for the input & suggestions B-300. I had this exact same problem before I parked it out in the pasture, and I have changed all of the fluids, but the one thing I haven't done is rebuild the carbureator as I am scarred to death of doing that. Doesn't seem to me that a pure novice should try that kind of mechanics. However I have purchased a kit and am trying to find some one to rebuild it that knows what they are doing............I thought about sending it to Mr. Speeeeeeedo back thar in the hills, but I am sure it should be remounted by the person that rebuild it so they can "tweek" it as they say....I think it is a holley, but I am not sure about that !

Again, thanks for the great input...

farmguy

Posted: 06-07-2007, 08:41 PM
City: the back hills of W V
Post #5

Hey thar Rick, how ya`ll doin?? I personally dont think its vapor locking. I`ll relate an experience I had yrs ago w/ a truck, during my career as a mechanic.........We had this large trash truck, an International, w/ the big straight six in her. ( Dont ask me when the CU. IN were, too many years have done passed...Anyhow, this trk would run great, going up the gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and when she hit high gear, (4th) it would just fall on its face, no power. After checking all kinds of stuff, I took off the fuel inlet hose from the carb, ran it into a bottle, started the trk and raised the motor....... At idle, the fuel stream seemed normal, but raising the motor, the fuel stream just went down to a trickle, thus, causing the symptom. The problem was------ A small seed had worked into the elbow fitting going out of the gas tank, thus restricting the flow when it was needed most. Removed the fitting, blew out the seed, and after that, the trk ran fine......... My point is, could be the fuel flow is being restricted just when you need it most. Id suggest doing the same thing i did, remove that fuel line, run it in a bottle, and raise that motor, watch the flow of the gas........Just an idea, from my memory bank, hope its helpful to ya............. take care !!

Speed Dragon

Posted: 06-08-2007, 06:29 AM
Aka Force Fed Mopar
City: Campobello, SC
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #6

I'd say it's definitely a fuel delivery problem. First thing I'd do is replace all the old fuel lines, the filter, and the pump. If that doesn't fix it, build the carb.

BocaJApache

Posted: 06-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Apache
City: Lubbbock, Texas
Post #7

I am having some what of the same issue. First thing in the morning....she starts great..then after driving it for maybe 15 min or so, if I turn the truck off, it takes for ever to start back up. Works faster when I spray the carb spary in...I am thinking it's the carb...just my two cents. Any other opinions?

Speed Dragon

Posted: 06-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Aka Force Fed Mopar
City: Campobello, SC
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaJApache
I am having some what of the same issue. First thing in the morning....she starts great..then after driving it for maybe 15 min or so, if I turn the truck off, it takes for ever to start back up. Works faster when I spray the carb spary in...I am thinking it's the carb...just my two cents. Any other opinions?
Sounds like the accel pump.

swami2806

Posted: 06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
State: CT
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaJApache
I have the same problem, but I have a quadrajunk carb (Quadrajet). It does act like it's vapor locked sometimes, but I attributed it to the quadrajet carb, many of which had severe problems coming from the factory, and they require a rebuild.

This same carb runs great, unless you drive a 1/2 hour or so, and it starts idling rough.

I'm just planning on swapping out the manifold +carb for a carter 2 bbl someday, so I don't bother troubleshooting it. .
*DodgeTalk.com 318 EnthusiastMember#37*

If Fords were the last cars on earth, I'd ride a horse.

1987 D-100
318 , A999, Quadrajet 4bbl. (came on truck).

Spring '07--Restoration has begun! Suspension and steering from Performance Suspension Technology. Front end apart and ready for install...more to come!

Reed_46052

Posted: 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Post #10

See the section under ramcharger - 5.2 surges under light load. this is my truck and rejetting and rebuilding the carb did the trick. note: today's E10 gas is leaner that gas from years ago and can cause a lean surge for lean burn engines such as mine.

reed
Closed Thread