How To: Automatic Headlight Control!!! - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > DodgeTalk Knowledge Base: Dodge/Ram Truck Articles > Dodge/Ram Truck Specific Articles > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 Up) Articles > 3G Dodge RAM - General Miscellaneous Articles

Closed Thread

GC714

How To: Automatic Headlight Control!!! - Posted: 12-23-2006, 03:27 PM
:D Hello!!!
City: Trenton
State: FL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
View This User's Timeslip
Post #1

Please remember that I am not a professional installer, this is how I did this in my truck and it works for me, there might be a better way, Do this at your own risk!!

Required items:

1 DEI 545T module
1 Extra 30-40 Amp 5 pin relay (3 total)
wire, wire crimps, solder, etc.

How To:

The DEI module comes with 2 relays, one is for Headlights the other for Parking Lights. On my truck I tried to eliminate one, while I was able to get the module to function properly, the headlight system acted as if there was an open in the circuit. Constant dinging like the headlights were left on, even though they were not and no key in ignition.

Red- 12 volt + constant (required)

Orange- ground when armed, Connect to Ground when Armed output of the security system (optional)

Black- Chassis Ground, use a good solid ground. At drivers side kick panel there is a factory grd. location. (required)

Blue/white stripe- Aux. RF channel input of alarm system. (optional)

Yellow- 12 volt + switched ignition, I used a pink/yellow stripe at the steering column. (required)

Green- Wiper switch input - negative (optional)

Violet- Wiper switch input Positive (optional)

Relays 1 & 2 that came with the DEI module

Brown- pin 87, parking light relay input. Connect this to a Constant 12 volt + Positive source (required)

Violet- pin 87, Headlight relay input. Connect this to a Constant 12 volt + Positive source (required)

Blue- pin 30, parking light relay output, Not connected to anything!!! (required)

Green- pin 30, headlight relay output, Connect to pin 85 on third (extra) relay. (required)

Now pull out the dash panel that holds the Headlight switch, Mine had six wires but eight pins. On the switch you will see numbers for each wire. You might need to unplug it first to see the numbers. Top right corner should be pin eight (8). On my '05 this wire was white / green stripe. Cut this wire in two leaving enough to splice onto both halves. Take two wires around 12" long and connect to the wire(s) you just cut, noting which is which, (wire leading towards truck harness- and wire leading towards plug that connects to switch.

Relay 3 or extra relay

Pin 85- connected to pin 30 Green wire for Headlight relay output (required)

Pin 86- connect to Ground (required)

Pin 87- Not connected to anything (required)

Pin 87A- Switch side wire, the 12" or so wire (required)

Pin 30- Truck side wire, the 12" or so wire (required)

I placed the Photo Cell on top of the dash, kinda pinched between the windshield & dash, with wire under the speaker cover. It has a sticky back but with the hot Florida sun it won't stick. You can place it anywhere you feel it will get direct sunlight.

Hope this is as easy for you guys as it should be!!! As you can see I did not connect anything other than the Auto Headlights/Parking lights. For wipers to turn on your headlights, you need to splice one more wire, after you determine the polarity of the wipers. And for the alarm interface you splice two more wires, very easy... On my module the DRLs were not enabled, if you did want them inside the sliding cover there is a wire. Make sure this wire is not cut.

Please ask any questions, I will do my best to help!!! Also if anyone has a better way please post it up!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dei 545t1.pdf (1.74 MB, 499 views)
File Type: pdf dei 545t.pdf (1.77 MB, 162 views)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GC714

Posted: 12-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Pics of back side of Headlight Switch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1007 (Medium).JPG (49.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1010 (Medium).JPG (55.0 KB, 80 views)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Ryan2589

Posted: 12-27-2006, 12:55 PM
City: Greenwood
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Where do you get the photo cell from?

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC Sport 4x4

JVC KW-ADV61BT head unit w/ backup cam, 20% tint, Fold-a-cover G4, Magnaflow muffler

GC714

Posted: 12-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan2589
Where do you get the photo cell from?

You get it with the Required DEI 545T from online, Ebay, maybe locally...

six pack

Posted: 12-29-2006, 09:51 PM
State: AB
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC714
Anyone doing this?
If you go to your dealer he can enable the daytime running light feature and not have to touch your wiring as it is all enabled with software.

Hope this helps
Cummins 6.7L MegaCab owner member#1.

See Pics Here!
My Challenger
My Gallery
Don't forget to nominate and vote for the vehicle of the month categories, it couldn't be any easier with the following links.Vote Here
Nominate Here

tbird2340

Posted: 05-16-2007, 08:01 AM
tbird2340
City: Poland, OH
View This User's Garage
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by six pack
If you go to your dealer he can enable the daytime running light feature and not have to touch your wiring as it is all enabled with software.

Hope this helps
So do none of the Ram's have auto headlights? Can the dealer enable it on any year?

six pack

Posted: 05-16-2007, 10:27 PM
State: AB
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird2340
So do none of the Ram's have auto headlights? Can the dealer enable it on any year?
None have automatic headlamps.
The DRL feature can be enabled on DR/DH/D1 trucks, before these(old body style) they were a stand alone hard wired module.
Cummins 6.7L MegaCab owner member#1.

See Pics Here!
My Challenger
My Gallery
Don't forget to nominate and vote for the vehicle of the month categories, it couldn't be any easier with the following links.Vote Here
Nominate Here
Closed Thread