P1492 Battery Temperature Sensor Voltage Too High - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Neon Talk > Dodge Neon - Performance Talk

Closed Thread

jetfuel07

P1492 Battery Temperature Sensor Voltage Too High - Posted: 05-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Post #1

Hello all, 1st post here but I have taken alot of your tricks and suggestions for fixing my neon before, thanks to all, but this time I can't seem to find anything about this problem.

OBDII Code P1492 - Battery Temperature Sensor Voltage Too High

Here's what happened. I changed my fan relay yesterday and when I took out the battery, which by the way is old, the positive "thingy" where you clip the positive connector almost came out. I stuffed it back in and reconnected the battery, the car started up no problem but the battery light came on. I checked the code and it was P1492. I thought it was simply time to change the battery which I did tonight, I erased the code and started the car. The battery light came on again and so did the code. I did that a few times to see if it would stop showing up but the light and code keeps coming back.

I'm just wondering what it could be and could it be damaging to anything under the hood?
My Neon's a 1998 2.0 DOHC

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

alaskaneon

Posted: 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM
City: Soldotna
State: AK
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Put a voltmeter on it. What reading are you getting? Try unstarted but key turned as far as you can go before turning the engine over. Try a reading when engine is running.

Engine: AEM Cold Air Intake, K&N Air Filter, 60mm MPX Throttle Body, MPX Long Tube Header, High Flow Cat, Borla 2.25 Catback Muffler, Gripforce F1 Racing Clutch, Short Throw Shifter, Booger Bushings, AF/X PCM, MPX Underdrive Pulley, Prothane Motor Mount Inserts, 8.5 Accel Fire Wires, Catch Can.
Suspension: KMC 17in Wheels, Riken Raptor ZR Tires, Vibrant Front & Rear Strut Bars, Megan Racing Adjustable Coilover Dampners, BC Rear Camber Plates, Prothane Short Rear Control Arms.
In & Out: Euro Clear Headlights & Turns, Fog Lights, Clear Corner Lenses, Clear 3rd brake light, Euro Clear Tail lights, Swapped Out Instrument Cluster For One With A Tach, 35% 3M Tint, Alpine Head & Speakers, Ipod Direct Connect, Rockford Fosgate 200 Amp, JL 10 Sub, Stubby Antenna, Kaminari Ground Effects & Ram Air Hood, De-Badged, Sparco Shift Knob, SRT-4 Pedals, Various Interior Pieces Painted Silver.
Not Yet On Car: Tint all Lights but Headlights, Smoked License Plate Covers, Black Mesh Grill Inserts

A Member of the God Squad - Hoo-rah! Life without Jesus is just plain
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

scottrachel01

Posted: 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
City: Dayton,Ohio
State: OH
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Do the terminals need cleaned up? Buy a good cleaner take them off and clean them real good, maybe they are not secure causing them to heat up.

Future Mods--, Battery relocation, Head P&P, Cams, Move CAI....

GOD Squad member since 1999 #65
Acts 2:38-39

jetfuel07

Posted: 05-31-2007, 03:50 AM
Post #4

Terminals are clean, I tried the trick about starting the engine and disconnecting the negative cable to see if it's the alternator and that's fine.

Could it simply be the battery cables? I noticed on the negative, the wire's exposed a little.

scottrachel01

Posted: 05-31-2007, 06:14 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Look for anything lose or worn. When electric has resistance it heats up. Maybe try messing with the positive terminal again. You mentioned it came lose. It could also be a bad cell in the battery,not likely but we're reaching for answers.I believe the prob is in that area so keep looking.

jetfuel07

Posted: 05-31-2007, 06:27 AM
Post #6

Yeah the positive terminal was loose, but that was the old battery, now it's a brand new one.

What about buying another sensor, how much do they go for?

scottrachel01

Posted: 05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

I don't know how much they are. Does it run and start ok? Take it to autozone have them put it on the computer and erase the code again and get their ideas too.

jetfuel07

Posted: 05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Yeah it runs and starts fine, I just wanna make sure I don't damage anything while driving.

Thanks

donald7150

Posted: 06-02-2007, 10:06 AM
State: OTHER
View This User's Garage
Post #9

check to see that you didnt damage the battery tem sensor, you could easily drop the battery on it when you take it out or put it in

The sensor is used to regulate charging rate/voltage based on the ambient air temperature, and if its not working right it can mess up your charging rate, (too high or too low voltage)

Last edited by donald7150 : 05-06-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Rick99

Posted: 06-02-2007, 03:10 PM
City: NH
State: NH
Post #10

That error will be set by an "irrationally high" sensor reading. If the sensor is bad it could be shorted out so that it reads 5 volts (the wiring to the sensor could be shorted somewher too, so you might want to check that). I think your best bet is replacing that sensor after checking the wiring, it can't be too much at the dealer. As stated above, the battery temperature sensor is used by the PCM to determine whether the battery charging rate is proper. You could damage your new battery if you don't fix the sensor.

BTW, you should never disconnect the battery to test the alternator. While this was acceptable in the old days, modern cars have a lot of sensitive and expensive electronics that can be damaged by this (not that you weren't lucky this time). The battery absorbs a lot of the electrical "noise" created by the alternator and also moderates any voltage spikes.
Just got a new set of BFG All-Terrains
Planning retrofit to 4WABS

1999 Durango SLT+
4x4, 5.2l
Mods: B&M Supercooler, Ford OEM Remote Start/Keyless Entry/Alarm, Heated Seats

01 T&C Limited 3.8l
Closed Thread