Help me with my Neon tune up. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Lil'6cyl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Help me with my Neon tune up.

It is about time for a tune up on my car. My 1998 has just over 85,000 miles and I have noticed a decrease in mileage. What sorts of things do you do for a tune up? I am thinking changing out the plugs, maybe the wires too. What spark plugs should I use? I am not looking for some super expensive ones, just something that will fire off when I need them to .

2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 QC Cummins Turbo Diesel. 48RE trans, BHAF, straight piped, no silencer, tourqe tube

1998 Dodge Neon 5 speed Lapis blue 4dr.

Previously:
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Club cab 4x4 5.9 L V8
1992 Dodge Dakota 4X4 3.9 L V6
1984 Dodge Ram D100 3.7 L slant 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2007, 04:47 PM
rice_eater

You wont gain any power from plugs or plug wires (although you could lose power and mileage going with the wrong plugs). Any plugwire set will do, I'd recommend either NGK or Champion sparkplugs... I had bad luck with autolites. Stick with plain jane copper plugs, they are the best for neons. If you neon is a DOHC you might want to check the TB and intake manifold for sludge... Its a common problem caused by the PCV valve leaking oil into the intake and mixing with carbon from the EGR.

I would also recommend changing the timing belt and belt tensioner soon if you havent already.

'97 Neon DOHC MTX - Sold
'98 Neon DOHC MTX Turbo - Sold
'99 Neon DOHC MTX - The project begins...
#3 Old 04-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Big Ray
Country Style

Might want to consider checking out your upper 02 sensor also. It can kill your mileage. Also cleaning the injectors could help, do this before changing the plugs so it dont blow junk all over your new ones. Dont forget to replace the air filter also.

- Ray Harmon

2003 RC/SB Atlantic Blue Pearl ***Now Lifted***
1995 Dodge Neon Coupe Blue

Click here for my Mods
Click here for my Pics
#4 Old 04-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Lil'6cyl

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the tips so far. One thing I forgot to ask was if our cars have a gas filter. I looked in the books at Wally World, and the fram listing was blank under gas/fuel filters.

My car is a plain jane, SOHC, no power options, more power is not what I am in for, just an efficient puddle-jumper

I drive my truck when I want power. And smoke

2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 QC Cummins Turbo Diesel. 48RE trans, BHAF, straight piped, no silencer, tourqe tube

Previously:
#5 Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 AM
HoodooGuru
HoodooGuru

Fuel filter is in the tank.

2001 Chrysler Neon SE.
Performance Mods:

Pedders Sports Ryder Lowered springs, CSA "Velocity" 15 inch alloy wheels & Toyo T1R-D low profile tyres, 2.5 inch cat back Lukey Turboflow exhaust, Highflow cat, Comp 200 Grind Camshaft, Race Spec P & P Cylinder Head with 3 Angle Valve Job & Decked 20 thou, Universal Polished Chrome Oil Catch Can connected to pcv valve, MPX 60mm polished aluminium throttlebody, Cold air intake, Cquence Motorsport Cross Drilled / Slotted Front Brake Rotors, Racing pod air filter, Quick / short shifter, Custom mid / long tube headers, Megan Racing underdrive pulley, Top Gun 8.0 high temp spark plug cables, NGK spark plugs, SPW Billet aluminium front strut brace, over bored 40 thou with 10:5.1 high comp pistons, lightened machined crankshaft, new conrods, ACL race spec bearing / rings kit, Fuelstar Fuel Catalyst, Nolathane front control arm bushes, Gripforce Sach Stage.1 racing clutch, Sparco fuel pressure gauge under the hood, Bendix "Ultimate" brake pads, dyno tuned with a Unichip piggyback ecu.

Future Mods:
Custom Box Style Intake Manifold & a Crane 14 camshaft / magnum valve springs.

External / Internal Mods:
Full viper body kit (As sold in Australia), Chrome mesh intake grille inserts, Sirius Plus 2000 55 watt driving lights, SCA Shift 55 watt spot lights, Boschmann 550 watt 6x9s, Roar RX-8 250 watt sub / amp cannon, Crack Hi / Low RCA Converter, Full tint, Autotechnica "Monza" leather gear shift, Isotta Taladega Race / Sports seats, 2x SRT4 turbo gauge pods with Splitfire oil pressure & air / fuel gauges, Splitfire volts & oil temp gauges mounted under the radio, Gold painted calipers, And a mighty MOPAR sticker!!
#6 Old 04-11-2007, 04:21 AM
dodgeneonACR98
So whats UR excuse?

Make sure you change the time belt or you wont be jumping any puddles with that Neon. Stick with the regular cheap copper Champion plugs. The time belt is a pain to do but it's worth it considering if it breaks you can count on it being down a while if you even fix it. Most people sell em for a few hundred bucks when the belt breaks and bends the valves. The wosrt part is most people just throw on another belt and bend them some more b4 they realize they realy screwed it up in side. Looks like it was all coverd by the other guys, just thought id let you know how important the time belt is on these cars. Alot of them bust around 100K too. Later!

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...p?t=100535]God Squad member #53 [/url]

04 Neon SRT-4
98 Neon ACR-2.4 swaped with goodies
#7 Old 04-11-2007, 07:09 AM
Big Ray
Country Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodooGuru
Fuel filter is in the tank.
My 95 is not in the tank?

- Ray Harmon

2003 RC/SB Atlantic Blue Pearl ***Now Lifted***
1995 Dodge Neon Coupe Blue

Click here for my Mods
Click here for my Pics
#8 Old 04-11-2007, 04:20 PM
rice_eater

Mopar changed the fuel system setup midway through the 1997 model year. 95-96 had external fuel filters, 98 and up had internal fuel filters integrated into the fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank. 97's had either or depending on when and where it was manufactured. Fuel injectors also got changed in '97.

'97 Neon DOHC MTX - Sold
'98 Neon DOHC MTX Turbo - Sold
'99 Neon DOHC MTX - The project begins...
#9 Old 04-24-2007, 06:06 PM
Lil'6cyl

(Thread Starter)
A few new questions

I was just tooling around under the hood, checking fluids, pulled the boot off the spark plug, was shocked to see how deep the plugs are. Any tricks to getting them out?? I gotta see if there is a socket skinny enough to get down in there. Any special torque to tighten them? The O2 sensor, how to clean, and the timing belt, how to change?

Any threads you guys can direct me to would be great.

Previously:
#10 Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 AM
dodgeneonACR98
So whats UR excuse?

No special tools needed to remove the plugs. An extention and a regular plug socket will work just fine. As far as how to torque them. Just make them hand tight and then give them a 1/4 turn until they are nice and snug. You dont want to torque them in really tight but not loose enough to vibrate out.

If you plan to work on it yourself get a Manual and use it!! In order to change that belt you must remove some stuff includeing a motor mount. Hard to explain all. Get the Haynes or Chilton manual its a life saver! You dont clean an 02 sensor you must replace it. However the IAC can be cleaned. (idle air control) it's on the TB.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/show...p?t=100535]God Squad member #53 [/url]

04 Neon SRT-4
98 Neon ACR-2.4 swaped with goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.