Block drain plugs for coolant? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 1st Gen (98 - 03) Forums > 1G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

MonsterStyleCom

Block drain plugs for coolant? - Posted: 04-05-2007, 02:43 AM
Post #1

Anyone have pics of where I'd puke around on removing my engine block drain plugs for my coolant? I need to drain my radiator/engine of coolant to remove my water pump, correct? If so, I need to find the plugs. I been using alldatadiy.com and looked under my truck - I cannot find it/them :-(
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

low pressure

Posted: 04-05-2007, 05:33 AM
City: South California
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

when i did mine i only took off the drain plug on the radiator. its at the bottom of the radiator driver side.
33x12.5x15 BFG's KO
Borla cat back
Autolite 3923
Surco roof rack (home made brackets)
8" Kicker sub w/ MTX amp hooked up to factory head unit
viper fan w/ hayden 3652 controller (less than $200 upgrade)
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

mpm32

Posted: 04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
State: CT
Post #3

There on both sides of the lower block, not real good directions I know. If you do find them, good luck gettting them out. They most likely be stuck real well. And there's not much room to get enough leverage to break them free.

You can use the drain plug on the radiator or pull off the bottom hose.

It has 4-wheels and a third row seat.

5.2 liter

105,000 miles oh wait, I drove to work a lot since then - 120,040- 1,000 miles on new engine, 126,000 miles on the rest of the truck.

Mods - New nerf bars to replace the rotted out running boards. Factory brushguard, used to be the same color as the truck, I took it off and painted it black.

Hughes plenum pan. Done!

MonsterStyleCom

Posted: 04-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Post #4

So if I change out my water pump just drain the radiator? I should be fine? Will do! Thanks guys.

Big D 318

Don't pull the drain plugs yet! - Posted: 04-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Big D 318
City: Ellicott City
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Are you sure that you need to pull the drain plugs just to replace your water pump? Dude, I think you can just pull off the lower radiator hose and let the fluid drain into a pan - a large pan. Then you can start tearing things down to get to the water pump.

My water pump bearings went out last November and I had to replace the pump. A bit of a pain, but I didn't have to pull the drain plugs from the engine block to do it.

MonsterStyleCom

Posted: 04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Post #6

Ahh that's what alldatadiy.com suggested... I'll just try it your guys way and see how we work out!

firestingwisher

Posted: 04-06-2007, 03:47 AM
City: Panama City
State: FL
Post #7

According to Alldatapro.com, there are actually block drain plugs,it looks like a hex headed bolt, I, imo, believe most of you are referring to the freeze plugs. Which I was thinking of to begin with. According to Alldatapro.com, (to the best of my interpretations) the block drain plug is located on the driver side of the engine, straight below the spark plug for cylinder 3. The freeze plug, seems to be located straight below cylinder number 1, and also another one, between 3 and 5. Maybe this helps, maybe you've already done it. Anyway, hope it was of interest.
Emergency lighting
30x9.50's
4 12" Infinity Subs
sealed enclosure
6.5" infinity component speakers and tweeters

Exterior mods
-Two "fog/driving" lights added to rear for night backing
-In Channel Autoshade Vent visors
-Tint front windows with 5%
-180 Deg t-stat

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(81)*

---------------------------------------------------
Planned alterations:
-Apline head unit
-altzella black euro rears
-One piece chrome headlight/corner marker
-Cat-back, Borla
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-2" front drop, 4" rear drop
-LSD
-fastman TB
-Upgrade fuel pump/regulator
-Elec Fan/get rid of Clutch fan
-Highflow Water pump
-Optima deep cycle gell cell battery
-Upgrade from Factory Speakers and add Tweeters
-DVD/Video monitors
-Playstation
-200(or highest I can get) amp alternator
Can't think of anything else right now

Last edited by firestingwisher : 04-06-2007 at 03:48 AM. Reason: omitted info

mpm32

Posted: 04-06-2007, 07:44 AM
State: CT
Post #8

Nope, I was talking about the block drain plugs. There's one on each side. Very hard to break loose because of the location and access to the location. At least I had a hard time doing it.

It has 4-wheels and a third row seat.

5.2 liter

105,000 miles oh wait, I drove to work a lot since then - 120,040- 1,000 miles on new engine, 126,000 miles on the rest of the truck.

Mods - New nerf bars to replace the rotted out running boards. Factory brushguard, used to be the same color as the truck, I took it off and painted it black.

Hughes plenum pan. Done!

firestingwisher

Posted: 04-06-2007, 05:46 PM
City: Panama City
State: FL
Post #9

[quote=mpm32]Nope, I was talking about the block drain plugs. QUOTE]

I knew that you weren't talking about the freeze plugs, but it sounded like some of the other people were. I was thinking freeze plugs, untill I looked into it a little deeper. Get everything done alright?
Emergency lighting
30x9.50's
4 12" Infinity Subs
sealed enclosure
6.5" infinity component speakers and tweeters

Exterior mods
-Two "fog/driving" lights added to rear for night backing
-In Channel Autoshade Vent visors
-Tint front windows with 5%
-180 Deg t-stat

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(81)*

---------------------------------------------------
Planned alterations:
-Apline head unit
-altzella black euro rears
-One piece chrome headlight/corner marker
-Cat-back, Borla
-K&N Cold Air Intake
-2" front drop, 4" rear drop
-LSD
-fastman TB
-Upgrade fuel pump/regulator
-Elec Fan/get rid of Clutch fan
-Highflow Water pump
-Optima deep cycle gell cell battery
-Upgrade from Factory Speakers and add Tweeters
-DVD/Video monitors
-Playstation
-200(or highest I can get) amp alternator
Can't think of anything else right now

MonsterStyleCom

Posted: 04-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Post #10

I haven't started any of the processes to fix the water pump. I have all the gaskets, parts, etc... Just not in a rush to fix it. It's a little intimidating ya know?

I'll crack the b!tch open tomorrow and get it done! Muahhahaha!
Closed Thread