2000 Stratus won't shift out of First Gear - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 03-14-2007, 07:54 AM
jwhiteuwc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2000 Stratus won't shift out of First Gear

All,

I have a 2000 stratus that will not shift out of first gear when driving. Reverse and Netural work, just when you put it in Drive it stayes in First.
Also the speedometer doesn't work either.

SOmeone mentioned it was a chip or soliniod... Any ideas to which part they maybe talking about? Is this something that can be done yourself (can do some work on cars)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-14-2007, 07:58 PM
donald7150

is it sticking in second maybe?

the transmission will go into second gear in the event of a problem
the solenoids are configured that way so that when a problem arises power is removed from all the solenoids and will remain in second gear while the shifter is in 'D'
this is known as "limp-in" mode, initiated by the transmission control module when it detects a problem

if you have no slippage or any other driveability problems chances are its an electrical problem

no speedometer is probably a bad output speed sensor
this will cause the TCM to enter limp mode. the TCM cannot tell how fast the vehicle is travelling and doesnt know what foreward gear to change to so it will switch to 2nd gear and stay there

2005 Chrysler 300 (DD): 6000K 50W HIDs, Niteshades, LED Interior light Conversion...
'99 Caravan: Work van. 6000K HID headlights and fogs
'92 Chrysler Daytona IROC R/T (2.2L DOHC Turbo-III)
#3 Old 07-18-2007, 07:57 PM
smittyd911

stratus stuck in second

Im having the same problem,everything else is working and some times it will work great then it will act like it slipped and wont get out of the gear its stuck in also the check engine light came on when this problen came about the car has 83,000 miles //Any answers will be greatly appreciated and very helpful many thanks
#4 Old 08-12-2007, 12:20 PM
kdw3r

Seems to be a common problem

Mine is doing the same thing.

The speedometer doesn't work until it gets warmed up, and it stays in first gear the entire time. after a few miles, ALL AT ONCE, the car will finally: 1) shift into the proper gear, 2) the check engine light will come on, and 3, the speedometer will start working again.

THe car will work fine while I keep it hot. The only thing is that the speedometer goes crazy every now and then.

It is a 2000 stratus with about 97k.

I'll post if I find anything, but let me know if anyone out there knows what's up.

kdw

kdw3r

1994 Dodge Ram 1500
5.2L 318 V8
2x4
Regular Cab
Regular Bed
35-gal tank
#5 Old 08-13-2007, 10:54 AM
kdw3r

And the answer is... Speed Sensor

It was a speed sensor.

I bought both the input and the output speed sensors (2 parts). There is only one of them for manuals, but 2 for Automatic.

They are about $20 each, or you can pay about $90 for the parts and labor from a local Transmission shop.

kdw3r

1994 Dodge Ram 1500
5.2L 318 V8
2x4
Regular Cab
Regular Bed
35-gal tank
#6 Old 08-14-2007, 06:44 AM
smittyd911

stratus

Thanks will give it a try,when they went bad did the check engine light come on? many thanks smitty
#7 Old 08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
kdw3r

Speed Sensor

Yea, the Check Engine light coming on is how you know it's a problem with the Speed Sensor and not the transmission. You probably won't get a Check Engine light if you have a bad tranny.

Also - just FYI - Replacing the Speed Sensors will probably fix your probalem, but that WON'T reset the Check Engine light. You'll need to have a service shop reset the code. I'm not 100% sure, but disconnecting the battery MIGHT do the trick as well... not sure... mine's still on. 8^) haven't tried it yet.

kdw

kdw3r

1994 Dodge Ram 1500
5.2L 318 V8
2x4
Regular Cab
Regular Bed
35-gal tank
#8 Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Nitro
I Drive a Dodge Stratus!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.