Fan clutch 'roar' when engine cold? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Damn Dirty Ape

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fan clutch 'roar' when engine cold?

The last 2 mornings (temp=30's) I've noticed that I have a 'roar' from the fan clutch (fan) on cold startup and until I've driven maybe 1/4 mile. I've had the truck since last October and never had it do this on a cold condition. I've only heard it after letting it idle a while then usually it's only for a few hundred feet then it dies off. But that's only when it's warmed up and been idling a while.

I had the fan assembly off last week but did place it face down as noted on the fan (face down meaning opposite the side with the big nut).

Since it has never made this noise on a cold condition should I be concerned?

'06 Dodge Dakota Laramie Club Cab 4x4 w/ TRX4 Off-Road package, SoundBox, Flame Red, Auto, 3.7L .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Quadder
Quadder

Well here in central california the morning temps are sometimes in the 30's but usually in the 40-50's. Sometimes my mechanical fan will engage for about 100 yards and then stop. Not sure why but it does.

2008 Grand Cherokee Laredo X 4.7 V8 QT2
2013 Hemi Durango Crew
#3 Old 02-13-2007, 01:37 PM
oldhp

My 03 Dakota 3.9 did same thing when the first winter hit. Took back to dealer and new fan & clutch installed. Fixed the problem.
Mech said no recall or TSB but this was (at that time) the second one that he had changed.
#4 Old 02-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Damn Dirty Ape

(Thread Starter)
hmm.. oddly enough the past two mornings are the first times at startup in the 4 months i've had it..

'06 Dodge Dakota Laramie Club Cab 4x4 w/ TRX4 Off-Road package, SoundBox, Flame Red, Auto, 3.7L .
#5 Old 02-14-2007, 12:44 AM
HemiDak
New name, same taste!

Don't worry, that sound is perfectly normal. The fluid in the clutch settles to the bottom when the engine is off. When it's cold outside the fluid isn't very viscous so it takes a while for it to spin around and distribute evenly. The roar is the sound of the clutch fully engaging the fan until the fluid disperses and disengages the clutch. This is why it'll never do this when it is warm out.
#6 Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 AM
fromanhb

Yellow is right. If your fan clutch isn't roaring on cold starts its time to purchase a new fan clutch.

07 Toyota Tundra 5.7 DC 2wd
True dual Flowmaster Super 40's dumped.
---------------------------

R.I.P. 10/19/07
98 ram 1500 5.9-v8 2wd
6.5 inch fabtech (painted black, without stickers)
Bilstein 5100's (some darn good shocks)
2 inch lift in rear
K&N FIPK2
flowmaster 40
4.56's
35" BFG all-terrains
#7 Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 AM
0347Dak

Mine did it to, if you don't like it take it off, the electric fan will still run when needed, ive been running mine without the clutch fan for over a year now, and never gave me a problem.

2003 Dakota SLT CC 4.7L. 3.92 LSD
SuperChips Performance Tune, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Exhaust
Belltech 2,4 drop with KYB MONOMAX shocks, Front and Rear Belltech sway bars
Verde R/T replicas, Nitto Nt450 275 50 17
Advantage Torza Top, 5% window tint all around, NightShaded Tailights, Debadged

MOPAR BED COVER FOR SALE!!!!! GOOD DEAL TO ANYONE, PAINTED BRIGHT SILVER, IF INTERESTED EMAIL ME AT Dalrym05@sbcglobal.net
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.