Dipstick tube to transmission seal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge/RAM Van & Cargo Truck Forums > Dodge B-Series Vans 1971 - 2003

Closed Thread

B-300

Dipstick tube to transmission seal - Posted: 01-12-2007, 03:16 PM
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
State: OTHER
Post #1

How did the factory seal the dipstick tube to the transmission without an O-ring. I am installing a transmission that I rebuilt and installed a Superior shift correction kit . The dipstick tube is rounded over at the end and doesn't have the spot for an O-ring.
It's a '90 B-250 with an A-500 (42rh). It appears that it was siliconed in before. This seems incorrect. Does anyone know if this is the way the factory did it... It seems cheesy to me.
--B-300--
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

van-nut

Posted: 01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
City: Arvada, CO
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

No way would the factory use silicone. I fixed a leak at that point on my '98 w/46RE and there was a rubber seal there, but it wasn't just a simple 'o'-ring, it was a purpose made part. Why they didn't just use an 'o'-ring I don't know, but this "seal" pressed into the trans housing and the tube pressed into it. I don't remember needing any special tools to install it. The tube on mine had one ridge or bump on it about an inch up from the end. Not sure if yours is similar or not, but give your dealer a call and I'm sure he can tell you what is suppost to be there.

Pete

B-300

Posted: 01-13-2007, 05:21 PM
Post #3

Pete,
Thanks for the info. The rebuild kit came with a seal similar to what you described. I will try that tomorrow whe I finish the installation.
--B-300--
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Chump

Posted: 01-13-2007, 09:22 PM
State: CO
Post #4

FYI-my factory parts books show the O-ring in 1990 and not until 1996 did the seal part# change. Let us know how you make out.

B-300

Posted: 01-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Post #5

Chump,
You want to know "how I made out".
Well it turns out the dipstick tube was broken off. It's thin on the late vans, I guess to save weight and material.
I found one at a pick-n-pull off a 904 series tranny that has the correct mount strap. (727has a different length strap)
Transmission works excellent with a shift kit.
A note for those with leaks in this area, the tube is thin and may start leaking if it cracks at the O-ring groove.
--B-300--

Dodgevanman

Posted: 01-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

I was gonna say, all the Mopar tranny dipsticks that I've dealt with had the dimple for an o-ring.

Glad you found it was broke...was it a pain to get the busted piece out?

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975

B-300

Posted: 01-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Post #7

There was no busted piece in the old case that had cracked due to lack of engine transmission braces...It had been silconed in. This is what thru a curve ball into the equation.
--B-300--

Chump

Posted: 01-19-2007, 04:54 AM
State: CO
Post #8

Thx...I was curious because I know the o-ring has been around for a thousand years!

B-300

Posted: 01-19-2007, 01:03 PM
Post #9

Yep I was looking for an O-ring on the old tube which had broken off at the spot the ring should have been in, hence there was no other piece of the tube. This is the tube, without it's end had been silconed in. It has been replaced, using an O-ring.
If Ihad looked at my Transtar book in the parts listing I would of found the same thing about O-ring vs funny looking seal.
Enough of this already?
--B-300--
Closed Thread