Dipstick tube to transmission seal - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 01-12-2007, 04:16 PM
B-300
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Dipstick tube to transmission seal

How did the factory seal the dipstick tube to the transmission without an O-ring. I am installing a transmission that I rebuilt and installed a Superior shift correction kit . The dipstick tube is rounded over at the end and doesn't have the spot for an O-ring.
It's a '90 B-250 with an A-500 (42rh). It appears that it was siliconed in before. This seems incorrect. Does anyone know if this is the way the factory did it... It seems cheesy to me.
--B-300--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 PM
van-nut
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van

No way would the factory use silicone. I fixed a leak at that point on my '98 w/46RE and there was a rubber seal there, but it wasn't just a simple 'o'-ring, it was a purpose made part. Why they didn't just use an 'o'-ring I don't know, but this "seal" pressed into the trans housing and the tube pressed into it. I don't remember needing any special tools to install it. The tube on mine had one ridge or bump on it about an inch up from the end. Not sure if yours is similar or not, but give your dealer a call and I'm sure he can tell you what is suppost to be there.

Pete

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it - Steven Wright
#3 Old 01-13-2007, 06:21 PM
B-300

(Thread Starter)
Pete,
Thanks for the info. The rebuild kit came with a seal similar to what you described. I will try that tomorrow whe I finish the installation.
--B-300--
#4 Old 01-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Chump

FYI-my factory parts books show the O-ring in 1990 and not until 1996 did the seal part# change. Let us know how you make out.
#5 Old 01-15-2007, 06:10 PM
B-300

(Thread Starter)
Chump,
You want to know "how I made out".
Well it turns out the dipstick tube was broken off. It's thin on the late vans, I guess to save weight and material.
I found one at a pick-n-pull off a 904 series tranny that has the correct mount strap. (727has a different length strap)
Transmission works excellent with a shift kit.
A note for those with leaks in this area, the tube is thin and may start leaking if it cracks at the O-ring groove.
--B-300--
#6 Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

I was gonna say, all the Mopar tranny dipsticks that I've dealt with had the dimple for an o-ring.

Glad you found it was broke...was it a pain to get the busted piece out?

Nate Breece

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
#7 Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
B-300

(Thread Starter)
There was no busted piece in the old case that had cracked due to lack of engine transmission braces...It had been silconed in. This is what thru a curve ball into the equation.
--B-300--
#8 Old 01-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Chump

Thx...I was curious because I know the o-ring has been around for a thousand years!
#9 Old 01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
B-300

(Thread Starter)
Yep I was looking for an O-ring on the old tube which had broken off at the spot the ring should have been in, hence there was no other piece of the tube. This is the tube, without it's end had been silconed in. It has been replaced, using an O-ring.
If Ihad looked at my Transtar book in the parts listing I would of found the same thing about O-ring vs funny looking seal.
Enough of this already?
--B-300--
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.