hemi block heater install - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

05hemiram

hemi block heater install - Posted: 01-10-2007, 08:36 AM
State: MT
View This User's Gallery
Post #1

Hi, has anyone out here installed a block heater in their hemi themselves? Is it hard to do? Thanks
*Longbed Truck Club Member #5*
*Light Almond Pearl Club Member #10*
Nathan
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

waldershrek

Posted: 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM
City: Cortland
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #2

How cold does it get there in Montana?

Public Servants Club member #28

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

05hemiram

Posted: 01-10-2007, 09:34 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

Can get -30 or colder depending on the winter.
Nathan

exdecuk

Posted: 01-10-2007, 11:33 AM
City: London England
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Regardless on which engine you put it in all you are doing is knocking out a core plug (freeze plug) inserting the new one of the correct size ensuring the correct orientation of the heating element & tightening the centre fixing, routing the cable & thats it, finished.

Both of mine have them as standard (good old Canadian build) but I bought another for my other engine I am building. Its not just a matter of how cold it gets, even just down to freezing I put mine on. I get in first thing & I am blowing warm air moments after starting which is great for clearing the screen plus it wont do your battery any harm either.

Black Truck Club
Member #222

5.9 Gassers Club Member #4

To join the Official Dodgetalk Member Map, click HERE!

mopar fan

Posted: 01-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Retired DT Admin
City: Milan
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #5

Isn't there one that splices into a heater hose?

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

exdecuk

Posted: 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
City: London England
View This User's Gallery
Post #6

You can get them spliced into the heater hose, down the dip stick, attatched to the outside of the oil pan etc etc.

Black Truck Club
Member #222

5.9 Gassers Club Member #4

To join the Official Dodgetalk Member Map, click HERE!

m37boblee

Posted: 01-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Armed QC
City: Quinlan, TX
Post #7

I just looked at mine ('05 hemi) and can't see any freeze plugs in the block! are they there, where?

Trucks & Guns Club Member #24

Military Trucks Club # 13

2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

04Ram2500Hemi

Posted: 01-10-2007, 05:17 PM
Same Name, Different Game
City: Missoula
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05hemiram
Hi, has anyone out here installed a block heater in their hemi themselves? Is it hard to do? Thanks
I know this is a little off topic but welcome to the site. Where in Montana are you from?
Truxedo Deuce Bed Cover with Bed Lights, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Custom Built Rock Rails Sprayed with Line-X, Front & Rear Bumper and Grill sprayed with Line-X, Husky Mud Flaps, Husky Floor Mats, Four VisionX Xmitter Low Pro Prime XP LED Light Bars Behind the Grill, Two Vision X LED Lights on Rear Bumper, Heated Seats, Interior LED Lighting, NAV-TV, Camera Mounted in Front Grill

Gone But Never Forgotten!
2004 Ram 2500 4X4 SLT Quad Cab Hemi Silver Metallic, Black Line-X Rocker Panel, Westin Nerf Bars Sprayed with Line-X, Bushwacker Extend A Fender Sprayed with Line-X, Rhino Lining in the Bed and Over the Rails, Truxedo Low Profile Tonneau Cover, Hell 500's Behind the Grill, Warn Front Receiver, KC Backup Lights, Custom Mounted Bumper Backup Lights, V-7 V Force Muffler, Auto Meter Transmission Temperature Gauge, SRT-10 Pillar Grab Handle, Kore Recon Suspension System, Kore Race Steering Damper, Kore Chase Control Arms, Kore Coil Spring Isolator, Kore End Links, 35x12.50 Mud Terrain SXT Tires, SRT-10 Hood, AEM Brute Force Intake, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Smoked Recon Cab Lights, Tuff Stuff 12,500 Pound Multi Point Winch

05hemiram

Posted: 01-10-2007, 05:25 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

I'm from billings, I spoke with the dealer today. I guess there is a port in the block by the starter to put a heater into. I guess you have to loosen the starter up and move it out of the way to put in the heater, it is not a wet port. Doesnt sound to hard, I'm gonna give it a shot tonight, will let you all know how it goes when done. By the way there are no freeze plugs in the hemi block.
Nathan

waldershrek

Posted: 01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
City: Cortland
State: NY
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

No freeze plugs eh? I would have never guessed. Good luck with the install and make sure you post some pics when you're done!

Public Servants Club member #28

rickey p

Posted: 01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Post #11

let me go check my ,my was done from the factory,and ill get back

STL HEMI

Posted: 01-10-2007, 10:42 PM
City: On the Road
State: MO
Post #12

I installed one in mine. The Insert hole is on the drivers side of the motor. Their is nothing to knock out. The kit comes with the wire and element. Easy install plus the directions It's down low close to the back side of the block.

rickey p

Posted: 01-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Post #13

hey stl i saw it was on the drive side ,did you put it in the center or tore the rear of motor, i just cant see for where is was

STL HEMI

Posted: 01-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Post #14

It's alittle hidden. I did this awhile ago. Let me crawle under the rig real fast.

STL HEMI

Posted: 01-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Post #15

OK the hole is right above the starter. Look at the end of the manifold log and it right across from their. I did have to drop one bolt from the starter and rotate it to put the element in but one in the starter goes back in place. Whole job including beer time was 30 minutes.

STL doesn't get bad winters but with the rig outside and not in a polbarn when it dips into the teens or single digit's I don't wanna freeze my ass off wating for the truck to warm up as I role down the road. We don't let our vehical's warm up before we leave.

dale3fan3

Posted: 01-11-2007, 02:41 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL HEMI
OK the hole is right above the starter. Look at the end of the manifold log and it right across from their. I did have to drop one bolt from the starter and rotate it to put the element in but one in the starter goes back in place. Whole job including beer time was 30 minutes.

STL doesn't get bad winters but with the rig outside and not in a polbarn when it dips into the teens or single digit's I don't wanna freeze my ass off wating for the truck to warm up as I role down the road. We don't let our vehical's warm up before we leave.
How much do these run? Also can you post a picture of where its installed?

Mad Hemi

Posted: 01-11-2007, 02:58 PM
City: Bellevue
State: NE
View This User's Timeslip
Post #17

For '05s and up . . . http://www.autotrucktoys.com/ram/OEM...9696C3097.aspx

Hi! My name is Steve!
2004 QC Hemi Ram - 14.74 @ 91.71 / 9.477 @ 75.09 mph - SOLD!
2008 Hemi Charger - 13.86 @ 99.72

dale3fan3

Posted: 01-11-2007, 03:01 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #18

do they make one for a 04 hemi?

Yellow04Hemi

Posted: 01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
City: Collinsville
State: IL
View This User's Gallery
Post #19

STL HEMI's is an 04 so maybe he can chime in with where he got his. It does get cold in StL but luckily mine is garaged. Still takes a few minutes to get the heat rolling. I wonder how much power the block heater consumes per hour? Might be worth it to improve gas mileage in the mornings of really cold nights.

Yellow Truck Club - #1
2004 Solar Yellow Dodge Ram 1500 QC Hemi Sport

05hemiram

Posted: 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #20

Allright got my block heater put in last night, sorry I'm not very high tech and don't have the ability to post pics, but like stl hemi says it is very easy to do. The port in the block is right above the starter. I actually removed th starter just for a little more clearance, the hardest part is routing the wire. I got my block heater kit from local dodge dealer parts department. $62.00
Nathan
Closed Thread