how do I set the timing on a 93 5.2L? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Dakota 1st Gen (87 -96) Forum

Closed Thread

knyjr3

how do I set the timing on a 93 5.2L? - Posted: 12-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Post #1

Hi, everyone, anyone know how to set the timimg on a 93 dakota with a 5.2l?, the old man i got this truck from said he had a new jasper motor put in about a year before i bought this truck, but since it has had run like the timing was off a couple of degrees, I took this truck to the garage thinking they could fix it, but 90 dollars later same thing, the dealer said something about an ohm meter, and gave the specs(what the timing should be), but never said anything about how to do it
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Chump

Posted: 01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
State: CO
Post #2

This is probably the Service Bulletin the dealer was referring to...

Distributor - Surging, Bucking, or Intermittent Missing
NO.:
18-16-92 Rev. A
GROUP:
Driveability
DATE:
Oct. 19, 1992
SUBJECT:
Surging, Bucking, Or Intermittent Missing
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-16-92 WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. REVISIONS ARE HIGHLIGHTED WITH **ASTERISKS**.
**THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 1992 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 3.9L OR 5.2L MPI ENGINES AND 1993 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 3.9L, 5.2L OR 5.9L MPI ENGINES.**
MODELS:
1992--1993**
(AB) Ram Van/Wagon
(AD) Ram Pickup/Ramcharger
(AN) Dakota
**1993**
(ZJ) Grand Cherokee
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Vehicles may exhibit surging, light bucking, or intermittent engine misfiring. This will most likely occur when the vehicle is at operating temperature, and under a light load at approximately 2000 RPM. This condition may be caused by a mis-indexed distributor. The following procedure is an alternative to the indexing procedure outlined in the service manual.
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin outlines an alternative distributor indexing procedure.
1. Connect a voltmeter to the distributor sensor connector by removing the end seal and carefully back probing the connector. Connect the positive lead to the sensor output pin (pin 3, either a tan wire with a yellow tracer or a gray wire, depending on vehicle application). Connect the negative lead to the sensor ground pin (pin 2, a black wire with a light blue tracer).
2. Rotate the engine clockwise as viewed from the front, until the number one piston is at Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke. The timing mark on the vibration damper should line up with the zero degree (TDC) mark on the timing chain case cover.
3. Continue to rotate the engine slowly clockwise until the V6 or V8 mark (depending on engine type) lines up with the zero degree (TDC) mark on the timing chain case cover. The V8 mark is 17.5°after TDC and the V6 mark is 147°after TDC.
NOTE:
DO NOT ROTATE THE ENGINE COUNTER CLOCKWISE. IF THE ENGINE IS ROTATED BEYOND THE MARK, RETURN TO STEP 2 AND REPEAT THE PROCEDURE.
4. Loosen the distributor clamp bolt.

5. With the ignition switch in the ON position, rotate the distributor slightly in either direction until the voltmeter switches between the sensor transition point of 0 and 5 volts.
6. Adjust the distributor as close as possible to either side of this transition point and tighten the distributor clamp bolt to 170-230 in.lbs. (19-26 N-m).
POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No. 08-15-02-90

AD, AN ........ 0.3 Hrs.
AB ........... 0.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE:
51 - Improperly Installed
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

knyjr3

Posted: 01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Post #3

thank you very much, it has fixed the problem!!!

Dodgevanman

Posted: 01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Do It In A Van
City: Baltimore Hon!
State: MD
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

Hmmmmm. I may need to do this on my '94 Ram Van. Thanks for the post Chump!

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975

Skoodles

Posted: 01-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Post #5

well if i remember right on my 95 5.2 you cant change the ignition timming somethin that you cant advance the distributor and its controlled by the ecu but your truck is older so thats prolly why.
Closed Thread