how to keep rain out of exhaust stacks - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 01) Forums > 2G Dodge Ram Diesel Talk

Closed Thread

adv85

how to keep rain out of exhaust stacks - Posted: 11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
City: Cape Coral
State: FL
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

hi i was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how to keep rain out of mitre cut (stacks with an angled cut top) exhaust stacks thanks

2001 Navy Blue Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel 2X4 Quad Cab Laramie, w/o Silencer Ring, Edge EZ, BHAF and Aluminum Heat Shield, 4in TurboBack MBRP Exhaust into 5in Dual Mitre Cut Stacks, bought with 48k miles on it.

2005 Gold Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel 4X4 Quad Cab Laramie, Leveling Kit, 22in Chrome Rims, w/o Silencer Ring, BHAF with AFE Torque Tube, Banks High Ram Intake Manifold, Smarty Programmer, 4in TurboBack Grand Rock Exhaust into 5in Dual Aussie Stacks, bought with 40k miles on it, pics to come
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tires

Posted: 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Post #2

A guy here in town puts rubber boots over his when he's parked. During the periods when the truck is turn on, i dont think you would have much of a problem since the stacks should be pushing air out.
Fully Straight piped.
Cobra CB and dual 4ft whips.

Toy:
2001 Honda rancher 350.
4x4
2000lb warn.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

StarDriver

Posted: 11-30-2006, 08:09 PM
City: Suwanee
Post #3

Rain caps or coffee cans.
1995 RAM 3500, 2WD, Banks Powerpak system, Southern Diesel Truck parts custom cut torque plate, ATS trans and Triple disc torque converter,Westen Grille guard, Putco Stainless Running boards, Leer custom topper, custom sound system, Whelen Strobe lights.

1993 Dodge Dakota,318, auto, custom paint, Flowmaster exhaust, former Mark III conversion, Pace Setter shorty headers, Airaid intake spacer, Mopar Performance PCM, Flowmaster exhaust.

crazys182003

Posted: 11-30-2006, 08:49 PM
State: PA
Post #4

I've heard of people drilling a small hole at the bottom to drain out the water.

adv85

Posted: 12-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Post #5

thanks guys for the tips

2001 Navy Blue Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel 2X4 Quad Cab Laramie, w/o Silencer Ring, Edge EZ, BHAF and Aluminum Heat Shield, 4in TurboBack MBRP Exhaust into 5in Dual Mitre Cut Stacks, bought with 48k miles on it.

2005 Gold Dodge 3500 Cummins diesel 4X4 Quad Cab Laramie, Leveling Kit, 22in Chrome Rims, w/o Silencer Ring, BHAF with AFE Torque Tube, Banks High Ram Intake Manifold, Smarty Programmer, 4in TurboBack Grand Rock Exhaust into 5in Dual Aussie Stacks, bought with 40k miles on it, pics to come

codyboy

Posted: 12-03-2006, 02:04 AM
Post #6

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pi...s/file0003.jpg

check that out. Try getting the little lid type things that are on the top of old semi stacks. Not the best pic but hopefully you get the idea

Cummins4ever

Posted: 12-03-2006, 01:44 PM
City: Cedar Rapids
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #7

either rain caps or drill a small hole in the bottom of them

1997 2500 12v Cummins 5 speed, 0 Plate, Tuned AFC, Gauges, Bradford Built Flat Bed

Dodge2500

Posted: 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM
DodgeRamOhio
City: Payne,Ohio
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

their miter cut stacks not flat tops so the flappers wouldnt realy function right when the trucks running because they wouldnt open properly all though they would keep the rain out i dont think you would like the overall look after putting them on and i have rain flat tops and miters with the rain the water all comes out when you fire your truck up and i havent had in problems with rust or anything and my father in law ran miters on his kenworth for years with out covering them and he never had any problems hes now running 8 inch miters on his truck and i got his 5 inch miters for helping him.

1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with a 12 valve Cummins turbo diesel.
AFC housing, torque plate, and star wheel full forward.
BHAF installed.
KDP done.
5 spd trans.
4 inch turbo down pipe from Jardine. $ 75.00 on ebay
5 inch exhaust from the down pipe to the transfer box thats 6x6 steel to a pair of 5 inch stacks, turnouts,miter cuts,or flat tops with flappers just depends on which ones i want to run.
8 LED lights in lower air dam, LED lights in tool box 18 total in box. installed Cab lights with LEDs. nexlight LEd on pinch mold. LED light bar under tailgate.
custom sub boxes joined with an amprack and green neons two 12 inch audiobahn subs. 1000 watt lanzar vibe amp.
Gauges ISSPRO Pyrometer, Boost, fuel pressure.

wish list
cb in overhead console, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, new clutch, step bars, air horns, diamond plate bed cover, and more.....
Green Truck Club Member #8

adv85

Posted: 12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Post #9

thanks i was most worried about them rusten out but if all the water comes out when i start it then the heat of the exhaust should dry up all the moisture anyways makes sense. thanks guys. hopefully this tuesday my buddy will be able to help me install them. i will post pics once they are installed. thanks again

hotrod_06010

Posted: 12-04-2006, 02:33 PM
City: Bristol, Connecticut
State: CT
Post #10

the only problem I have ever seen from not capping your pipes, is if your truck creates alot of black smoke. The soot coats the inside of the pipe, add a little water, and on start up you have soot all over the roof of your truck, had a pete do that all the time.

Dodge2500

Posted: 12-04-2006, 05:07 PM
DodgeRamOhio
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

thats what they make carwashes for and if your running miter cuts its not that bad and i wash my truck 2 to 3 times a week and with the curved tops they soot very little because theirs not that much water getting into the pipes.

BHAF installed.
KDP done.
5 spd trans.
5 inch exhaust from the down pipe to the transfer box thats 6x6 steel to a pair of 5 inch stacks, turnouts,miter cuts,or flat tops with flappers just depends on which ones i want to run.
8 LED lights in lower air dam, LED lights in tool box 18 total in box. installed Cab lights with LEDs. nexlight LEd on pinch mold. LED light bar under tailgate.
custom sub boxes joined with an amprack and green neons two 12 inch audiobahn subs. 1000 watt lanzar vibe amp.

wish list
cb in overhead console, bigger turbo, bigger injectors, new clutch, step bars, air horns, diamond plate bed cover, and more.....

Cummins4ever

Posted: 12-04-2006, 05:49 PM
City: Cedar Rapids
State: IA
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

when the trucks runnin its not a problem so put like a coffee can or a cup or sumthin over them

1997 2500 12v Cummins 5 speed, 0 Plate, Tuned AFC, Gauges, Bradford Built Flat Bed

adv85

Posted: 12-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Post #13

i have pics now of my exhaust stacks

Dodge2500

Posted: 12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
DodgeRamOhio
View This User's Gallery
Post #14

looks good adv85 i bet it sounds great to.

BHAF installed.
KDP done.
5 spd trans.

wish list

adv85

Posted: 12-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Post #15

thanks, its sounds great i haven't had the radio on since i have put them in, i love it

Closed Thread