496" stroker kit for Mopar 383 block - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Mopar Muscle Talk

Closed Thread

RAM MAN

496" stroker kit for Mopar 383 block - Posted: 11-17-2006, 05:49 AM
Originating Member
City: Haslett
State: MI
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #1

read this on Muscle Motors site and thought it was interesting

383 engine guys might want to think about this one:

"Do you have a 383 block and don't know what to do with it? We Muscle Motors has the answer. For years people have shyed away from 383 block because of their limited bore size. The developing problem is that for every year that goes by, good core 440 and 400 blocks are getting harder to find. This has let to the development of the 496/383 kit. This kit features a 4340 steel, 4.250 stroke crank with 2.200 rod journals. 6.535 long 4340 steel h beam rods and dished pistons for pump gas compression. The kit comes complete with chamfered Michigan 77 bearings and Childs and Albert piston rings. All rods are checked for size and concentricity and bearing journals are checked for size. The kit is internally balanced and ready to install when you receive it.

Because so many people are building high performance engines for their street cars the 496/383 is becoming the perfect stroker engine kit. The 4.250 stroke give you a good amount of cubic inches. The 2.200 rod journal clears the stock oil pick up with no problem and the 4.280 or 4.310 bore size will work well with heads that only have a 2.14/1.81 or 2.19/1.81 valve combination. If you are trying to build an all out competition engine this kit is not for you. If you are trying to build a 500-700 HP pump gas stroker engine and use the commonly available 383 block this kit was made for you. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

threetwos

Posted: 11-17-2006, 10:22 AM
AirFuelEddie
City: Terre Haute
State: IN
Post #2

WOW, Ram Man, member W-100 should read this! Heck I may have to re-think that turbo S.B. project!! A 493 stroker from the 383 block, unreal, I wonder what the limiting factor is,(not for comp. use), is? Rod Ratio? Webbing, what. I do know you can usually find 383 blocks for 100 bucks or so. 80% of our musclecars had them in it, the 383 is what gave MoPar its rep in the day!
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RAM MAN

Posted: 11-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Originating Member
City: Haslett
State: MI
Post #3

I thought it was pretty cool

six pack

Posted: 11-17-2006, 09:27 PM
State: AB
Post #4

I just can't help thinking, boy what will that make in a 400 block
Cummins 6.7L MegaCab owner member#1.

See Pics Here!
My Challenger
My Gallery
Don't forget to nominate and vote for the vehicle of the month categories, it couldn't be any easier with the following links.Vote Here
Nominate Here
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

threetwos

Posted: 11-19-2006, 06:15 PM
AirFuelEddie
Post #5

I dont know about your area six pack, but man trying to find any MoPar bigblock block,either RaisedBlock,(RB), or the LowDeck,(B),.is getting very difficult.The other day,( I clerk part time at a convenience store), this dude who was a shivy man asked me if I would be interested in a 440 for 185$ complete! I said yes of course, and I was busy with customers so I didnt have time to get into details with him other than if its NOT a BB I wouldnt be interested. He shows up an hour later with his two sons and an old beat up Ford truck with the engine in the back! I am thinking I hope he doesnt think I want it dropped off here! I look in the back and its a 318!! I said you think this is a chrysler big block? He says the distributor is in the front aint it! I saw it was laying removed from the rear and laying on the front of the manifold! I laughed of course and he didnt so that was the end of that.

six pack

Posted: 11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
State: AB
Post #6

Those darn chevy boys,LOL.

I would easily be able to locate any BB in my area.
Cummins 6.7L MegaCab owner member#1.

See Pics Here!
My Challenger
My Gallery
Don't forget to nominate and vote for the vehicle of the month categories, it couldn't be any easier with the following links.Vote Here
Nominate Here

threetwos

Posted: 11-20-2006, 11:09 AM
AirFuelEddie
Post #7

Lucky man!! I may have to take Ram Mans advice and look you up, and stroke a big block and "shelve the small block project"

Brian_RO

Posted: 11-20-2006, 01:56 PM
City: Ohio
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

i'm glad to hear they are making something for the 383, i know that there was a kit to put a 440 crank in one to make 431(?) but that just doesn't quite fit the bill.

i could just see a bone stock looking 383 Road Runner engine that was actually packing 496 cubes. that would be a great stealth design.

now i need to rethink what i want to do with those extra 383 engines i have laying around.

threetwos

Posted: 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM
AirFuelEddie
Post #9

Yes very good news indeed! The parts are also very resonable,www.440source.com. Some may disdain their source but this may be the only option for us addicts with lots of debt!

Brian_RO

Posted: 11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
City: Ohio
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetwos
Yes very good news indeed! The parts are also very resonable,www.440source.com. Some may disdain their source but this may be the only option for us addicts with lots of debt!
i have talked with others from different web sites about 440source and from what i have read it is a very good product for the money and the fellow running the company "Brandon" is very pleasent to do business with and has great customer service.

some of his stroker kits are in cars running in the high 7's low 8's in the quarter so they must have some degree of quality to them to handle that kind of power.

the only issue i have read about those parts were the small ends on the connecting rods are a bit on the tight side, but his explaination of this is because not all companies use the same size wrist pins so it is better to be alittle small and being able to bore it out as opposed to being to loose and not being able to do anything about it. but that is the only bad thing i have read about his stuff.

yes, the price is very good for the average person coarse you have to remember if you are building an engine with over 1000 HP then you need to upgrade to a better stroker kit and block, especially since the stock block is good for around 700-750 HP.

threetwos

Posted: 11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
AirFuelEddie
Post #11

Yes, I have heard the same thing, as with ALL engine parts everything should be checked, if theres a "problem" then it shouldnt cost much at all to correct. Even oliver rods and callies cranks and del west valves ect.....words from the wise. BTW 440source has a very informative section on b/rb blocks that dispel many rumors about our blocks.
Closed Thread