Vibration problem....A727 date code? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 AM
VanMoreSon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Vibration problem....A727 date code?

My recently acquired '85 B350 with a 360 has a vibration problem and it's most noticeable in neutral when revved up and also at low speeds. It also has a leaking rear main seal. I've installed new motor and trans mounts and it has the proper 360 harmonic balancer. The 4 bolts on the flex plate are present and tight. I suspect that someone has put in a newer trans from a 318 and the converter is weighted and the engine is 'double-balanced' and
is causing the vibration. My manual says that the middle #'s of the trans number series is the date code. This trans date code is "8606". Does anyone know if this means a June 1986 build date for the trans? My local Dodge parts guy says he can't tell me what year it is from the numbers!

Would changing to a 318 harmonic balancer solve the problem?

Would appreciate any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

Actually the 360 torque converter needs to be coutnerweighted since it's externally balanced. I betcha the torque converter is bad. Me and buddy of mine just replaced two converters in two seperate trucks because of bad converters...and this is after we thought it was the harmonic balancers.

Nate Breece

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
#3 Old 11-16-2006, 11:49 AM
VanMoreSon

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm not clear on the balancing thing. Aren't the 318 and 360 just opposite? And if you switched a trans from one to the other, without changing converters...wouldn't it upset the balance?

Also, would the 727 from my '77 B300 (also with a 360) fit the '85? I know it wouldn't have the lockup converter but that's OK for now.

Last edited by VanMoreSon; 11-16-2006 at 12:05 PM. Reason: typos
#4 Old 11-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

Yes...the 318 is internally balanced, so the torque converter will not have any weights on it. The 360 is externally balance so the torque converter will have weights on it. The balancers are different between the two as well.

The transmission will bolt into the '85. The mount is the same as well.

Nate Breece

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
#5 Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 PM
VanMoreSon

(Thread Starter)
Well this weekend I'll just have to pull it out and check. The bad converters you changed out...what else did they do (slip,leak,etc.)? Or did you change them ONLY for a vibration problem?
#6 Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

Nope...just a vibration problem. Must have been an internal thing.

You don't need to remove the whole transmission to see if there's weights on the converter. Just remove the inspection cover and turn the engine over by hand. As the converter turns you'll be able to see the weights (if there's any there). One thing I just thought of. Check the condition of the harmonic balancer...if any of the rubber has come out or if the "outer" ring has spun around, then this can cause a vibration as well.

The trucks we replaced the converters on received brand new Mopar balancers and well, you know the rest

Nate Breece

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
#7 Old 11-17-2006, 09:38 AM
VanMoreSon

(Thread Starter)
OK, will check for the weight...I thought they were on the back side of converter. If it has a non-weighted converter, can the weight be added without pulling the trans? How do you know how to position them? And are they spot-welded on?

Again, thanks!
#8 Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

I don't think the weights can be added while the converter is in the vehicle. Not sure of the position of the weights exaclty but I do kow that they are spot welded on. At least all the ones I've seen are. Mopar Performance sells a kit with the weights.

Nate Breece

5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.