Truck blowing white smoke. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
2low4me

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Truck blowing white smoke.

Been so busy I forgot to ask about this.

My 84 with a 360 was blowing white smoke before I put it into storage. Seemed to be running fine with decent power.

It seemed to be worse right after I started it and slowly goes away, but not totally, as it warms up.

It also smells like it was running a little rich, you could smell a little gas odor at the tailpipes.

So I was dreading a bad head gasket, but the white smoke was coming equally out of each tailpipe, and its got true duals. I'd be pretty pissed if I had two bad head gaskets!

I don't recall any coolant in the oil, I did an oil change and don't remember seeing any seperation.

There is a tiny external coolant leak that I haven't tracked down. I stored my truck on a sheet of plastic and there is a tiny pool under it. Never even noticed it when it was parked on pavement.

So anywho, any ideas on the white smoke? There's not much I can do now because the truck is in storage, but looking for ideas.

2010 3500 Reg cab Dually
6" Pure Performance suspension
35" Swamper SSRs
Color matched grille/bumper

2011 1500 RCSB Sport in Deep Water Blue
Stock LOL

1984 W350 crew cab shortbed
6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's
Headers, dual Flowmasters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-13-2006, 10:19 PM
acton mike

a cracked head allowing coolant into the intake manifold would see coolant finding its way into both banks of cylinders
#3 Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
w100 360ci

does it only do it when you start it and when its cold and warm...it could be the valve guides
#4 Old 11-14-2006, 02:41 AM
NeDodgeguy
Bahama Yellow

I had bad valve seals and it would blow blue smoke out of my old Diplomat. Replaced all 16 of them and it fixed that. But I'd think valve seals or guides as w100 stated would be more of a blue than white.

White usually is coolant related.

Mom and Dad
1972 D100 Adventurer Sport - 176k - Bahama Yellow - Survivor -One owner
1992 Plymouth Gran Voyager SE - 210k - White - One owner
1999 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 - 149k - Medium Driftwood
Mine:
1999 Taurus SHO - 96k - Silver Frost/Grey
1993 Taurus SHO MTX- 160k - Red/Black
1981 Chevy LUV 2wd - SOLD
1980 Chevy LUV 4x4 - SOLD
1979 Dodge Diplomat Medallion 2 door - SOLD
1969 Honda CL70 - Candy Sapphire Blue
1970 Honda CL350 - SOLD
#5 Old 11-14-2006, 03:28 AM
77Utiline
1977 Power Wagon Utiline

If the head gasket is leaking into the exhaust manifolds etc. it will sometimes do the same thing. Basically what happens is the coolant or H2O pools in the down pipes of the exhaust after seeping past the manifold gaskets when you fire it up the hot exhaust vaporizes the liquid and creates steam. Or the manifold mounting studs leaking into the exhaust is another possibility. A good "rule of thumb" is water is just like electricity in how it flows it will ALWAYS find the path of least resistance. Also as far as smoke goes: WHITE = WATER
BLUE = OIL
BLACK = RAW FUEL
PINK (yes it happens) = AUTO TRANSMISSION FLUID (but not with MOPARS)
#6 Old 11-14-2006, 04:21 AM
2low4me

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

There's not much I can do with the truck in storage for now. It's real cramped in the garage and no electricity.

What kind of test can I do for a cracked head or bad head gasket?

Would a compression test tell me anything?

Is there anyway the little pool on the ground could be from the head/head gasket, or is that a little overboard? I'm pretty sure none of the hoses are leaking, its definetely dry up on the intake manifold. Could be the water pump or outboard header bolts too I suppose.

2010 3500 Reg cab Dually
35" Swamper SSRs

Stock LOL

6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's
#7 Old 11-14-2006, 04:29 AM
77Utiline
1977 Power Wagon Utiline

Pressurizing your cooling system will show leaks if they're external. There is a very handy little gadget you can purchase from most tool houses. Basically its kind of like CSI. You pop the radiator cap and place this little "sniffer" in the throat of your radiator. There are a couple of chemicals you add into the checker and the fluid changes colors to let you know if there is any CO in your cooling system. There are also test strips that do the same thing.
#8 Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Dodgevanman
Do It In A Van

Does the white smoke have a "sweet" smell to it? Are you loosing coolant out of the radiator?

You say that it slowly goes away as it warms up. This kinda tells me that it's steam being emitted from the tailpipes in cooler weather. This is totally normal.

Nate Breece

1994 B250 Ram Van Conversion by Elk
5.2L Magnum

2008 Grand Caravan SXT
3.8L

Member of:
North Chesapeake Bay Vans, est. 1975
#9 Old 11-14-2006, 10:11 PM
acton mike

antifreeze/coolant is a mixture of water and ethylene glycol.

when ethylene glycol burns in the combustion chamber, it creates huge amounts of white smoke; much thicker and denser that the white steam or condensation that comes from the tail pipe of an engine in cold weather

and, it has a sweet smell; what I call a maple bacon smell - very easy to detect

A cylinder leak down test is a good way to detect a head gasket leak or a cracked cylinder head
#10 Old 11-15-2006, 04:12 AM
2low4me

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgevanman
Does the white smoke have a "sweet" smell to it? Are you loosing coolant out of the radiator?

You say that it slowly goes away as it warms up. This kinda tells me that it's steam being emitted from the tailpipes in cooler weather. This is totally normal.
I don't remember it having a sweet smell, and now that I really think about it, it might not have been white smoke.

Perhaps it was just steam. It sounds whacky, but it was either a tiny bit of white smoke or a decent amount of steam. I definetely don't remember white smoke drifting through the air. It would vanish pretty quick.

And it's hard to tell if I was loosing coolant out of the radiator because I took the header off to put in a new starter and lost some coolant, then added some, and then put in a new thermostat. So the level was changing as I added some after changing parts. Def have a small external leak though.

I'll have to check the level this weekend (truck isn't at my house).

Thank a bunch for the help guys! I realize it's hard to diagnos this stuff with the truck off the road.

2010 3500 Reg cab Dually
35" Swamper SSRs

Stock LOL

6" Skyjacker lift
4.10's
35" BFG's
#11 Old 11-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Speed Dragon
Aka Force Fed Mopar

Sounds like normal condensation smoke.

Rob M.
'93 D150 RC SWB, 5.2 Magnum, NV4500 5-spd, 9.25" diff
'72 D100 RC LWB, PT project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.