2006 Hemi 5.7 Oil Capacity - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 11-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Mike McDaniel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2006 Hemi 5.7 Oil Capacity

...so I get back from having an oil change done at my local dealer where I bought the truck almost a year ago. Usually, I don't look at the statement in the oil change section because you get a year free oil change. Well, my year is up and I happen to notice that when I got it back home today, the statement had a charge of $13 under oil and another charge of $5.20 or so under another oil. I called and asked them about the differences and they said that the $13 was for a gallon of oil and the other $5.20 was for an additional 2 quarts. Consequently, they noticed that I was over charged for the gallon price and that they would give me a free oil change. I told them that I noticed that the owner's manual for the truck says that the 5.7L Hemi takes 7 quarts of oil and that the statement said that I was only charged for 6....4 quarts for the gallon plus the 2 additional that I paid for per quart. He said that he was pretty sure that the 5.7L Hemi was a 6 quart system and that he would check. I haven't heard back from them yet, but I was wondering if there was some TSB where the manual is wrong or what. He told me to check the oil in the truck and make sure it was full and it reads full on the dipstick. So, yes it's full, but did it take 6 quarts like he said or 7 quarts like the manual says?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-11-2006, 03:28 PM
CajunPW
Power Wagon #1605

my 2004 takes 7 quarts

2005 White Power Wagon #1605 aka Double Stuff

Current Mods:
CajunPW Locker Bypass Harness// CajunPW Winch Thermal Bypass// Warn 16.5ti Winch// Power Wagon Winch Accessory Kit// Blingy 20's with Interco M-16 Swampers

Coming Soon:
H2 Wheels// 315/70-17 Tires (Not sure which ones)// Carli Extreme Duty Ball Joints (on order)// Carli Chromoly Control Arms// All Spicer U-Joints// Thuren Trackbar// 08.5+ Steering// Thuren Resi Shocks// Snorkle// DT Profab Steering Brace// Nerfed Rock Rails
and I am sure someone will help me spend more money

Contact me for your very own Power Wagon Locker Bypass and Winch Thermal Bypass

#3 Old 11-11-2006, 07:06 PM
PatriotBlueHemi

2003 5.7 takes 7 Qts.

2003 Ram 1500 2WD QC
Laramie
Big Horn Edition
"Yeah it's got a HEMI in it"
Detroit Tru-Trac w/Yukon 4.56 Gears "Whoa"
Patriot Blue over Silver Metallic
Jason painted to match Hard Tonneau Cover
SRT/10 painted to match Wing
Putco Chrome Gallore
In Channel Vent Shades
Flowmaster 40 series
AirRam CAI
AirRam Jet Scoop
AirRam Power Wire
Napa #191 180 T-Stat
Superchips #3715 tuned for 91 Octane
Taylor 8.2 BLUE Shorties
Blue Truck Club Member #76
Join The Blue Truck Club Here
Laramie Pkg Truck Club Member #6
#4 Old 11-11-2006, 07:30 PM
ramcrazy
RaMcR@zY

7 qt in my 05
#5 Old 11-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Mazz
Been HEMIphied

Me thinks you should look to another source to get your oil changed.

'04 Dodge Ram QC SLT 4x4 Hemi® / Flame Red / Sport Package / 3.92s / 4-Wheel ABS / AR Chrome Vanguards w/ 285/60-18 Cooper HT+ (Summers) / Factory Alloys with 265/70-17 Nitto Terra Grapplers (Winters) / PowerSlots & Hawks / GE Nighthawks™ / Bilsteins® / Mag-Hytek Differential Cover / Westin Ovals / Mopar® Wheel Well Liners / BedRug® / Bed Xtender® / EZ Down® / LoRider Lid / Hot-Wired Bel Pro RX65 / Infinity w/ 6-Disc In-Dash Changer / Infinity Reference Speakers / XM / SRT-10 A-Pillar w/ Trans Temp Gage / 17769 DynoMax / '03 Hemi® Tailpipe w/ Mopar® 4" Chrome Tip / aFe High Breather / =JET=STREAM=> / Superchips FlashPaq / Taylor Shorties
/\__/\
(\'..'/) This is Woofy. Copy and paste Woofy to your
(")_(") signature to help him keep world domination.
#6 Old 11-11-2006, 08:38 PM
bmgamble
Hibernating

7 here....sounds to me like you get to start doing your own

-Bryan
2005 Black Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 QC 4x4 ∞ BTC [Complete List]
#7 Old 11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
DallasG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgamble
7 here....sounds to me like you get to start doing your own
Not yet, he still hasn't gotten a response from a 2006 owner.

2005 Flame Red (RTC#116) 4.7L V8 Ram 1500 ST

Mods/upgrades:
  • Overhead Console
  • Color-matched grille shell
  • Color-matched door handles
  • Color-matched bumpers
  • New rims & tires
Up and coming:
  • Power Windows ***ordered***
  • Power Locks
#8 Old 11-11-2006, 09:31 PM
bmgamble
Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG
Not yet, he still hasn't gotten a response from a 2006 owner.
Does it really matter?

-Bryan
#9 Old 11-11-2006, 09:42 PM
lpfan4life85
Relentless

I put 7 qts in mine and the dipstick reads full.

2006 RAM QC HEMI BIG HORN

TRUCK IS SOLD

PERFORMANCE:
5.7L HEMI, 3.92 REAR END GEARS, SUPERCHIPS 3815 91 TUNE, VARARAM INTAKE, AIR RAM POWER WIRE, AIR RAM JETSTREAM, DYNATECH LT HEADERS, DYNATECH Y-PIPE, HIGH FLOW CATS, CHERRY BOMB EXTREME DUMPED MUFFLER, DMH E-CUTOUT
EXTERIOR:
SRT-10 HOOD, SRT-10 22 INCH NIGHT RUNNER EDITION RIMS, 305-40-22 NITTO 420S RUBBER, SIR MICHALES ROLLPAN, COLOR MATCHED GRILL SHELL, DEBADGED, X3 SMOKED LED TAILS, SLAMMED 1 2" DROP SHACKLES, 8000K HIDS

INTERIOR:
MRK GROUP SILVER DOOR SPEARS, CUSTOM PAINTED SILVER/GLOSS BLACK CENTER BEZEL, BLUE INTERIOR LIGHTS

ELECTRONICS:
PIONEER DEH-860MP HEADUNIT, 2 KICKER CVX 10" SUBS, JOE FOX BOX, PHOENIX GOLD 1500W OCTANE R AMP

PROTECTION:
VIPER 791XV, RUGER P-95 9MM, AND A FEW DOGS

MEMBER OF THE MINERAL GREY METALLIC CLUB
DODGETALK.COM 345 ENTHUSIAST #20
BIG HORN CLUB #4

#10 Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 PM
JeffB2002

Straight from the 06 service manual
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fluid capacities.jpg (34.7 KB, 221 views)

Jeff
#11 Old 11-12-2006, 01:06 AM
dartboy

If it is full, it is full. Maybe they just don't charge that extra quart to keep the price low, or maybe they put in 6.8 exactly to get to full and don't charge for the .8. On mine 7 quarts is a tad bit over the line. I would not worry about it especially if it is saving you a couple bucks, but yes the capacity is supposed to be 7 quarts.

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(29)*

2005 4x4 1500 QC/SB HEMI SLT "Almond Pearl"
PPP Road Warior Camshaft,SUPERCHIPS "Performance Tune", Aero Turbine 3030 from Southern Hotrod®, Airraid Quick Fit Filter, AIR=RAM► Jet Stream, Castrol Syntec Motor Oil
HELLA 500s behind the grill
MOPAR Wheel Well Liners
WeatherTech Floor Mats
AMSOIL Air Filter
BILSTEIN 5125s in the front, BILSTEIN 5150s in the rear
35x12.50 Pro Comp Xtreme A/Ts on 17x9 Gear Alloys 711 Chrome Wheels

1971 Dart Swinger 318(Work in progress)
#12 Old 11-12-2006, 07:31 AM
PatriotBlueHemi

So you paid $18.20 plus probably tax on top of that for an oil change. For me, I do my own, and it costs me closer to like $25.00 for me to do it myself. The oil, Castrol GTX 5W-30 is just less than $3.00 a qt. at Wal-Mart, something like $2.79. The Fram filter PH-16 is around $5.00 I think. So roughly $25-26 with tax. It would be cheaper for me to have it done, but I have always preferred doing it myself. I do not let anyone touch my vehicles unless it is something I just absolutely can't do myself. Funny thing......this last oil change took nearly 7.5 qts to fill it. The only difference is I normally run my truck's engine just prior to changing it, and I change it warm. This time I did not. It had sat for 3 days without being started at all. I crawled under it, dropped the oil and filter, replaced filter, and put 7 qts. in it. I then started it as always to fill the filter and check for leaks, then shut the engine off and let it sit for a minute to take a reading. It was half-way in the "Operating Range". But certainly not at the top end. The only two things that could have caused this that comes to mind are: It sitting for three days without being cranked, all of the oil was in the pan and no residual was left in the engine. This doesn't make sense because they only hold 7 qts. Now what makes more sense is one of the bottles I purchased could have been low and I just didn't notice it. So I went and bought the 8th qt. and put about half of it in. Now it is ever so slightly above full which is fine.

2003 Ram 1500 2WD QC
Laramie
Big Horn Edition
"Yeah it's got a HEMI in it"
Detroit Tru-Trac w/Yukon 4.56 Gears "Whoa"
Patriot Blue over Silver Metallic
Jason painted to match Hard Tonneau Cover
SRT/10 painted to match Wing
Putco Chrome Gallore
In Channel Vent Shades
Flowmaster 40 series
AirRam CAI
AirRam Jet Scoop
AirRam Power Wire
Napa #191 180 T-Stat
Superchips #3715 tuned for 91 Octane
Taylor 8.2 BLUE Shorties
Blue Truck Club Member #76
Join The Blue Truck Club Here
Laramie Pkg Truck Club Member #6
#13 Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Mike McDaniel

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotBlueHemi
So you paid $18.20 plus probably tax on top of that for an oil change. For me, I do my own, and it costs me closer to like $25.00 for me to do it myself. The oil, Castrol GTX 5W-30 is just less than $3.00 a qt. at Wal-Mart, something like $2.79. The Fram filter PH-16 is around $5.00 I think. So roughly $25-26 with tax. It would be cheaper for me to have it done, but I have always preferred doing it myself. I do not let anyone touch my vehicles unless it is something I just absolutely can't do myself. Funny thing......this last oil change took nearly 7.5 qts to fill it. The only difference is I normally run my truck's engine just prior to changing it, and I change it warm. This time I did not. It had sat for 3 days without being started at all. I crawled under it, dropped the oil and filter, replaced filter, and put 7 qts. in it. I then started it as always to fill the filter and check for leaks, then shut the engine off and let it sit for a minute to take a reading. It was half-way in the "Operating Range". But certainly not at the top end. The only two things that could have caused this that comes to mind are: It sitting for three days without being cranked, all of the oil was in the pan and no residual was left in the engine. This doesn't make sense because they only hold 7 qts. Now what makes more sense is one of the bottles I purchased could have been low and I just didn't notice it. So I went and bought the 8th qt. and put about half of it in. Now it is ever so slightly above full which is fine.
That's kinda why I was trying to get to the bottom of what the capacity was. Now that my year is practically up, I was under the assumption that it would be cheaper to do it myself. It's been awhile since I've had to pay for an oil change as I had a F-150 with the plan that included oil changes for the life of the vehicle. I remember oil changes running about $20 last time I actually had to pay for one and when I got the bill for almost $35 I was stunned...lol. Then I go to Walmart and price the Mobil Synthetic 5w20 and it's about $5.50 per quart which, times 7, comes out to about $38.50 plus the cost of a filter. Now I'm trying to justify why I should do it myself when it's going to cost me more.
#14 Old 11-12-2006, 01:03 PM
bmgamble
Hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McDaniel
Now I'm trying to justify why I should do it myself when it's going to cost me more.
Get the type of oil that you want....it'll cost you more if you pay a place to change it any day. You have to compare the same oil....you can't compare a conventional oil change that you pay a place to do versus a DIY synthetic....of course it will be more for synthetic. Point is, to make sure everything is done right, do it yourself. It'll come out cheaper and you have a self satisfaction to go with it.

-Bryan
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.