99 Durango SLT no speedo, abs & brake light on, shift prob. - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 PM
gzetski

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
99 Durango SLT no speedo, abs & brake light on, shift prob.

Ok, I did some leg work on here before posting, but i'm not clear on a few things... first off, the problem:

1999 Durango SLT 5.2 4X4 - no speedo below 30 mph, ABS light on, Brake light on, and will not shift from 1st to 2nd until about the speed at which the speedo comes on (@ 30 mph). Also, downshifts from 3rd straight to first when going below 50 mph.

The previous owner told me he replaced the speed sensor at the trans. no luck. From reading the forums, I can see this is somewhat common on these. Here is what i'm wondering:

1. how many speed sensors are there? just the output shaft sensor on the trans and the one on the rear diff or are there more? I was given 3 different part numbers for the same truck at the parts store, so are there 2 or 3?

2. Which controls what? speedo + ABS, or speedo + TCM, or ABS + TCM???
does anyone know which does what?

I did just buy this truck thinking i will have to replace the trans... but all the gears seem to be there and this seems to be a trans control issue. I have seen the tps mentioned on here numerous times too, but i do not see how this would affect the speedo, and the shifting problem and the speedo seem related to me. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-24-2006, 09:07 AM
y2kd

You need to replace the ABS/Speed sensor on top of the differential. 10 min job and $35.00 part.
#3 Old 10-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Neil F.

The are two for the speedometer and one or three for the ABS depending if you have the std two wheel or optional four wheel ABS. The differential is used for the speedo and ABS. According to an individual on the durangoclub forum, the rear sensor supplies the input to the speedo below 20 mph. The transmission output sensor picks up after that. If you have all three symptions, ABS/Brake lights and speedo not working, it's the rear sensor. The rear can go out and the speedo may still work. Mine did. The rear senso does not have anything to do with shifting. The transmission output sensor will affect shifting and will throw a P0720 code. The rear sensor is a dealer only part. The output speed sensor is available at parts stores.

99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, MOPAR PCM, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
#4 Old 10-24-2006, 06:53 PM
gzetski

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the input

Strange enough tho, as soon as the speedo comes online, it starts shifting normal. no DTC except pending cyl 2 misfire, nothing at all related to the speed sensor. will try the rear axle first and see what happens.
#5 Old 10-25-2006, 01:24 PM
OldSchool

yep, when the sensor works, the trans has enough info to shift correctly, when the sensor doesn't work, the trans kinda goes "Huh?". Goes to first cause it thinks your stopped (0 speed)
#6 Old 10-30-2006, 05:54 PM
gzetski

(Thread Starter)
Now what's going on?

Ok, so i replaced the ABS/Speed sensor in the diff, piece of cake, ABS and brake light went out and the speedo works. The trans seemed ok at first, but after about 20 miles, O/D OFF lights up, about a minute later TRANS TEMP lights up. The O/D does not respond to the button on the shift knob, and the whole thing feels like its starting from 2nd, then kicking down to 1st, then 2nd then 3rd and so on. WEIRD!
So, what's the verdict? Am I looking at a trans rebuild? Apparently, the people that had the truck before me had the trans rebuilt by Cottman **coughs...* and the warranty on that work ran out already. After the problems with the sensor started, they replaced the output speed sensor on the trans and then messed a whole lot with the TV cable. I got the TV cable to where it "feels good" but still it shifts erratically. The oil is clean, and doesn't smell burnt. GRRRRR.
#7 Old 10-31-2006, 05:14 AM
Neil F.

OD gets locked out when the trans temp sensor gets triggered. It's to keep the engine and fan speed up to hopefully cool things off. If the trans is not really getting hot, I'd start with the temp sensor.

99 Durango 5.9, FT 4x4, IP stage III w/ K&N air hat, M1, MOPAR PCM, Fastman TB, 1.7 RR, JBA headers, Borla cat back, Martin Saine valve body, Hotchkis swaybars, Blistein shocks, lowered 2" Black Rhino Kenya wheels, 246. 7 RWHP, 319 TQ
#8 Old 08-23-2007, 09:12 PM
jdrachar

just replaced my speed sensor on my 2000 durango 5.9L and the lights went off for a day but came back on the next. maybee more problems here than meets the eye. someone told me it could be a problem with the PCM (powertrain control module) but I dont know. any ideas?
#9 Old 08-23-2007, 11:05 PM
tosterho
Todd O

sounds like a pcm make sure you check your fuses too imo
#10 Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 PM
tactransman
Transmission Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzetski
O/D OFF lights up, about a minute later TRANS TEMP lights up. The O/D does not respond to the button on the shift knob, and the whole thing feels like its starting from 2nd, then kicking down to 1st, then 2nd then 3rd and so on. WEIRD!
You have a fault code,scan it!

Terry aka tactransman
'99 Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 Automatic #110 in the White Truck Club

Aren't you tired of getting your parts for your Super Bee from a kid that thinks a Civic is a "hot rod"!
Mods:
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
Magna Flow Cat and "Y" pipe

46RE Built to the Hilt

Transgo TF OD JR Shift Kit (With Mods)
Billet Cover Converter
Upgraded to five direct clutch drum
Five Overdrive Brake Clutch pack
47RE STEEL front planetary
Sonnax Reverse servo parts
HD Kevlar Lined Rigid Int Band
Deep Pan w/cooling tubes
3.8 ratio Int lever
billet Int servo struts

#11 Old 11-21-2007, 04:08 PM
kellybcmi

ABS and Brake Light

Well, I am trying to replace the module and am somewhat stuck. The base broke free but will only turn. I can't seem to get it to move vertically. The top came off and the magnet is out, but the base and insert is still there. I have tried channel locks and prying with a screwdriver, but no luck. Don't want to use too much pressure.

Any tips?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.