How to Change Rotors and Pads with Pics
This is a How-To for 2004 Dodge RAM 1500 Disc Brake Pads and Rotors removal and installation. The process is pretty much the same for all 3G RAM 1500s. As you can see in the photos, I replaced the OEM equipment with Brembro cross-drilled and slotted rotors and the Hawk HPS pads. I also decided to paint the calipers while they were off and easily cleaned prior to painting. Set aside about 1 hour for the 1st wheel and about 25 minutes for each remaining wheel. When doing the rear brakes, make sure the emergency brake is off.
1. Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
3. Remove the two bolts (13mm – Front 10mm – Rear) that secure the caliper.
4. Remove the caliper from the rotor by tilting it up and off the caliper adapter.
5. Do NOT let the caliper hang from the brake line. Damage to the brake line will be the result. Make sure to provide a suitable support!
6. Prior to compressing the piston(s) in the calipers, remove the top from the brake master cylinder. Cover it with a plastic bag to reduce the chance of getting moisture in the brake fluid. Use a large C-clamp and wood block with some cushioning (I used some shop towels) to compress the piston. Go slow and make sure you do not damage the caliper piston.
7. Remove the two 21mm caliper adapter bolts and remove the caliper adapter. (The 1st time the rotor is taken off requires the factory clips to be removed from the studs.)
8. Remove the rotor by loosening it with some hits from a dead blow mallet and then wiggling it the rest of the way off. If you are NOT replacing the rotors, be careful not to damage it. But if you are NOT replacing it… Why are you removing it?
9. If you are planning to paint your calipers... Now is the time while the calipers and caliper adapters are off giving you better access. I used Dupli-Color Caliper Paint kit. I include a spray cleaner for the calipers and caliper brackets, paint, and a brush.
2004 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi 4X4 Laramie
Broken Clip Club Member As Of 08/07/06
Laramie Truck Club Member # 1
Black Truck Club Member # 57
Line-X Over-Rail Bed Liner, Mopar Soft Tonneau, Mopar Front Tow Hooks, Debadged, BesTop Powerstep, AirAid Intake System, Mopar Full Length Headers & Y-Pipe w/ Dual High Flow Cats, Borla Cat-Back Dual Exhaust, Rancho RS9000X Shocks with T-Bars Cranked 2-1/2 Turns, Ram Rear Wheel Liner Set, SRT-10 Hood, SuperChips Flashpaq Tuner, SSBC Front Aluminum Caliper Upgrade, Drilled & Slotted Roters, Hawk HPS Pads, Pop and Lock Automatic Tailgate Lock, Leer 800 Toneau
WINTER / OFF ROAD SET-UP
.....Wheels - American Racing Trax Wheels - 17x9
........Tires - BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A 285-70-17
.....Wheels - Boss 313 Chrome - 22x9.5
........Tires - TOYO Proxies ST 305/45R22
Mods To Come:
Motive 4.56 Gears
.....8 Inch Front - C8-456
.....9.25 Inch Rear - C9.25-456
Auburn 9.25 Inch LSD - 542070
Firestone Ride Rite Rear Air Helper Springs