No parking lights 02 1500 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Ram_Man54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No parking lights 02 1500

Greetings to All,
For reasons I do not understand, I decided to check my taillight before leaving for work. I leave at 4:30am and kinda need the lights. Lo-and-behold, no tail or front park lights! headlights and fogs work fine. Checked relay and fuses, all ok. Went to the dealer to get copies of the wiring. I think the problem is either the Front Control Module, or maybe the intergrated power panel, i.e. the fuse panel. Before I spend more money, has anyone else had this problem? And what fixed it?
Thanks
Ram_Man54
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Ram_Man54

(Thread Starter)
Fuse Panel?

Ram Man54 here, just borrowed and FCM and still have the same problem. So I removed the entire fuse panel to check all the park light connections. When I check the contunity between pin 15 of FCM and the park light relay, there is a really high reading. So now to find the $252 panel, that no one has in stock and no stock showing anywhere. I post when I get the panel.
Ram_Man54
#3 Old 09-23-2006, 06:11 PM
xfirechief

Unhappy 02 parking lights

I have the same problem. Discovered a few days ago I had no parking lights.
Checked fuses and tested curcits. Jumping Pin 35 on the parking light relay to ground - Lights work. SO its not the fuses nor the relay.
Now onto FCM or Headlight switch. Replaced both. NOT THAT! Dang!
SO Now what. Pin 36 on relay to Pin 15 on FCM was very high Resistance. Not good. All internal to the IPM I belive.

If you find anything else let me know or If I find somthing I will let you know!
#4 Old 09-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Ram_Man54

(Thread Starter)
Chief, I tried a new headlight switch, not the problem. I'm still laying my bet on the power module. I did ask the dealer about availbility, and was told no stock no where! I am have tried the local salvage yards and no luck. I did post also on Junk Yard Dog to search/request the power module. Keep the faith, this won't bet us!
Ram_man54
#5 Old 09-24-2006, 12:06 PM
crisbruyere
the sky is the limit

look for corrosion and stuff in your trailer light plug. ive seen this problem on here before where salt and other stuff has corroded in the trialer lights plug and made it screw up the lights on the truck

"T3" 03 RAM 1500 QC SB 4X4 HEMI

Elite White Truck Club member #36

Specs:
Stock 3.92 Anti-slip
5.7L Hemi
Superchips 3715
35x12.50x18 Toyo M/T's
18" driv Tremors
Torsion bars cranked
3" Body Lift
Magnaflow 3" Y-pipe
Magnaflow "Spun-Cat" Cataytic Converter
3" Exhaust Cutout
Flowmaster Super 44,
coming out before rear tire w/ 4" tip
AEM Bruteforce ebay knockoff CAI
180* Thermostat (thanks dodge3471)
Debadged
DEPO L.E.D. tail lights
DeeZee black diamond-plate bed caps
Grille4U Billet grille
Cobra CB Radio & P.A. Speaker
SIRIUS Radio
Kenwood KDC-MP728 Head Unit
Infinity 10" DVC sub
Pheonix Gold 300.2 amp
Viper Remote Start

Comin' Soon:
HIDS
#6 Old 09-24-2006, 04:19 PM
maka
Yea, It's a Hemi

Check bulbs too my stock bulbs are turning whiteish

'12 Reg Cab Short Bed 5.7 Hemi Sport Deep Cherry Red Metallic

Mopar sport performance hood , 2/4 drop bell tech street performance shocks, bell tech track bar relocater, Bully dog GT, chrome SRT-10 replica 22s, AFE CAI, catch can, Magnaflow 12288 with removed resonators, RER Nav stereo with allgig and backup camera,
Black weather tech floor mats, strobe lights in tails and heads

RED TRUCK CLUB MEMBER #18

Waiting to be installed:
#7 Old 10-22-2006, 05:09 PM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_Man54
Greetings to All,
For reasons I do not understand, I decided to check my taillight before leaving for work. I leave at 4:30am and kinda need the lights. Lo-and-behold, no tail or front park lights! headlights and fogs work fine. Checked relay and fuses, all ok. Went to the dealer to get copies of the wiring. I think the problem is either the Front Control Module, or maybe the intergrated power panel, i.e. the fuse panel. Before I spend more money, has anyone else had this problem? And what fixed it?
Thanks
Ram_Man54
Any of you guys solved this problem?
xfirechief........?

Anyone..................?

I have just posted up the exact same fault in the exterior/interior section on this forum.
I live in the UK, so spares etc are real hard to come buy.
I had this fault 4/5 months ago and removed the FCM and cleaned it up with an electrical cleaner solvent. I also removed all the plugs from beneath the PCM and did the same. When I reconnected everything back up, it all worked........till now?
Help please.
Al.

03 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi SLT
5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.
NGK Iridiums. Detroit TruTrac. TMR delete.
Procomp ES9000 with torsion bar tweak.
EBC slotted rotors with Yellow stuff pads and Cooper Zeon LTZ275/60/R20.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.
Prinz LPG VSI sequential gaseous injection system
with 2x70 litre siamesed fuel tanks.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
6000K HID Twiggy hi/lo + fogs.
White front and red rear LED license plate bolt Skulls.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Raider Low Rider solid tonneau.
Xenon wheel arches.
Billet Aluminium Rapid hitch.
EZ lift tailgate torsion bar.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
Black coin holder ha ha ha.
DVD head unit.
2xRockford Fosgate Punch 12" subs.
2 Kenwood 6x9's & 2 5.25's.
2x9inch DVD screens built into custom headrests.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
Toad Thatcham cat 1 alarm
#8 Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
xfirechief

No Parking Lights

I did everything from cleaning all contacts and spent money for a new switch + FCM. I tested all circuits and it seems to be in the IPM under the Fuses. Somewhere in the IPM there is no ground being allowed for the relay.

I did not want to spend the money right now for a new box as I have now spent over $150, so I spent $6 for a switch and some wire. I went to the ground side of the Relay and stuck the wire around the terminal and reinstalled the relay. Then to the switch and then to ground.

The switch allows a ground for the parking light relay and the lights work Fine. (now you just have to remember to turn off the lights) I have no problem with this setup. Next time I am at the store I will grab a Lighted switch to tell me when the Parking lights are on.

Any one need a NEW FCM for a 2002 dodge Ram ??- $85 + Shipping its yours.

Hope that helps you.
#9 Old 10-22-2006, 07:07 PM
lincoln1003

i got my truck this summer and 2 weeks after a got it, no tail lights front or back so i took it to the dealer and they found the fuse box to be bad there are circut boards under the relays and fuse's if you know what pins to jump you can get it to work , i just replaced the whole thing and it works fine
i paid the labor and they paid for the part

lincoln1003
my truck
02 RAM 1500 4.7 4X4 FLAME RED
4:56's
POWERWIRE, JET SCOOP, CAI,
SC 3715
MAGNAFLOW Y-PIPE, 3" MAGNAFLOW CAT, SI/SO 3" IMCO Glasspack Exhaust w/side exit
TMR MOD
altezza taillights
luvern nerf bars
access tonneau cover
FASTMAN TB,
TRUXXX LEVELING KIT
westin Ultimate Bull Bar
#10 Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 AM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

Hi Victor.
Thanks so much for the speedy reply.
It's early morning here in the UK and I was out at the truck trying to find out the problem.I tried the pin 15 on the FCM to the earth on the park relay pin 85. You were correct btw about the terminal numbers.
I didn't have an earth either. Also, when I jumpered terminal 85 to ground...........yep......you guessed it, the lights came on.
So, I thought as you, that's my IPM up the spout.
Anyhow, what I did is, removed the FCM and gave it a good spray in the contacts both on the FCM and the IPM with WD40. I then connected them and took them apart 4 to 5 times, to clean off the contacts, before making a final fitment and screwing the module back onto the IPM.
I then sprayed the big connector with all the wiring underneath the park relay, both on the connector itself and the bottom of the IPM where it plugs into.
I did all this with the battery neg removed.
I connected everything back up and it all works.
The only thing I can think of is that the WD40 has reduced a high resistance in a contact or something.
I believe the FCM can be very sensitive to high resistance circuits, as can the rest of this 3rd generation computer stuff.
I rechecked pin 15 FCM, to the park lamp terminal 85. Still open circuit.
So, looking at the circuit schematics your quite right in assuming that you should have an earth path there, but in reality, there doesn't seem to be. I put my multimeter on several different ranges to try and get a reading, with no joy at all.
So, If you haven't already done so Victor, give it all a good spray down with WD40 and reconnect everything and give it a whirl.
Hopefully, it might work for you.
Best of luck and cheers for all the help mate.
Al.
P.S I'm posting this on the forum as well to help out the other guy xfirechief.

5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.
3" T304 stainless steel custom exhaust with high flow cat side exit near rear tire with DMH Electric cutout and T304 custom muffler.

Exterior Mods
Siege Engineering Kong Mk2 Train horns 200 psi Viair 480C compressor & 3 gallon tank.
Rear view colour camera with infra red, hooked up to an LCD rear view mirror doubling up as a 7" monitor
Tints 20's & Westins.
Xenon wheel arches.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
DVD head unit.
Full custom black leather interior with red piping & custom stitched red Ram logo into front seat backs .
#11 Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Ram_Man54

(Thread Starter)
Fixed

Greetings to all. Today I installed the new fuse panel, aka integrated power module. Lights work fine. Dodge also included a lower cover to keep out the elements. Tough to make it fit. So my curious nature took me to my workshop where I disassembled the old fuse panel. I had to know if there really is a problem. Talk about an interesting piece of engineering. When I finally removed 5 layers of terminals, I found the printed circuit board. And there it is! The connection for the park light circuit is corroded. Checking the resistance between the terminals shows nothing. Note that this circuit is the closest to the FCM connection, and looks to get any contaminants first. So I feel better about shelling out the $262. It does not look like the panel can be repaired either.
Ram_Man54
#12 Old 11-04-2006, 02:28 AM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

That's real interesting Ram_Man54.

My lights are still OK for the moment, after my repair with the cleaners etc.
I hope it lasts, but I guess I'll be sourcing out an IPM at some time or another.
Glad to here you sorted out your lights.
Al.

5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.

Exterior Mods
Tints 20's & Westins.
Xenon wheel arches.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
DVD head unit.
#13 Old 11-22-2006, 12:38 PM
jkraeger

Which side of relay to ground (85 or 86)?

I've just joined the no parking/tail light club.

Which side of the relay should be taken to the switch and then to ground?
Shouldn't it be 86 and not 85. The schematic I have doesn't show where 85 or 86 go. Thanks for the help - I'm not an electronics guru. Do I need to install a fuse or resistor inline before going to ground so I don't pull too much current?

Do I even have to have the relay plugged in with this switch setup?

I'm trying to get a new PDC but none in stock or at the depots. I guess 96 are in transit so I ordered one for $252 and hope it arrives quickly. In the mean time I would like to be able to drive at night.

As a side note while trying to clean the contacts and such I broke one of the locking clips on one of the middle oval shaped wire connectors that plug in under the IPM. What's the best way to prevent the connector from falling out since I broke the lock?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: gif parklamprelay.gif (22.4 KB, 3 views)
#14 Old 11-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Ram_Man54

(Thread Starter)
No Lights

jkraeger, Sorry to hear that you have joined the club. To check for the proper terminal, which I think is towards the engine side, you can use a 12 volt test light. Connect the ground to the ground side of the battery. Next pull the relay up, but not all the way out of the IPM. The test light, when touching the pin 30 & 86, should light up bright. But when you touch the third, nothing will happen, this is terminal 87. This is the feed to the park lights. Now touching the last terminal, the test light will light, but dimly. At the same time lean back and look at the park lights, it wishould be on. Yes, you do have to have the relay plugged in. I used 3 very short jumper wires to connect between the relay and the IPM & to raise the relay up so I could connect the ground wire. The 4th wire is the ground that has the switch connected. You do not need a fuse as you are only completing the ground side of the circuit. The fuses that are in the IPM for the park lights will work normally.

I do not have an idea on keeping the connector locked into the bottom of the IPM.
#15 Old 11-23-2006, 12:10 AM
LPGHemi
LPG Hemi

jkraeger,

Could you get a tie wrap/zip tie around your connector?
Failing that, possibly some silicone sealer around the edges.
This will easily break away when/if you need the connector off, but will keep it on tight enough for you.
Hope this helps?
Al.

5.7 ltr QC sb 4x4
Performance Mods
K&N air & oil filters.

Exterior Mods
Tints 20's & Westins.
Xenon wheel arches.
Bug deflector.
Dodge valve caps.

Interior Mods
DVD head unit.
Closed Thread