Engine Running Cold too long??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Loud_Dodge

Engine Running Cold too long??? - Posted: 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
City: Austin
State: TX
Post #1

I was driving my little sister to school today and my check engine lite chimes on. After I drop her off I stop in the parking lot and plug in my superchips. I forget the code number now, but it told me that "Engine running cold for too long". And when i checked the temp gauge it was very low. I cleared the code and the check engine like hasnt came on again, i drove about 200 miles in all today. Any ideas why? How to fix it? Anything?? haha..i'm at a loss. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

abossram

Posted: 09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Post #2

If ya gotta fix it replace the temp sensor. I'd just drive it unless its running crappy. But also check out your battery cable connectors for corrosion and clean them real well. Some funny things happen with Rams with weak batteries or bad connections. HTH

Edit: I see you have a LOT of power eaters, also. Maybe time to have the battery load tested, new or not.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Silver_DodgeRam

Posted: 09-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.
City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
View This User's Garage
Post #3

What temp is your t-stat?

Loud_Dodge

Posted: 09-09-2006, 12:31 AM
City: Austin
State: TX
Post #4

Bought a 180 Degree thermostat today, haven't had time to install it yet. The battery thing is also a good possiblity, I've been thinking of up-grading my alternator, or just a getting a new alternator. Thanks for the input!

gramol

Posted: 09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
City: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Post #5

thermostat is stuck open.
2000 dodge durango,5.9 L,4wd,cold air intake,clear corners,mechanic from canada(spend my days diagnosing and finding broken wires/bad modules),onboard laptop loaded with mitchell, alldata,autoenginuity among others
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

jimdodgeram1500

Posted: 09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
State: MA
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abossram
If ya gotta fix it replace the temp sensor. I'd just drive it unless its running crappy. But also check out your battery cable connectors for corrosion and clean them real well. Some funny things happen with Rams with weak batteries or bad connections. HTH

Edit: I see you have a LOT of power eaters, also. Maybe time to have the battery load tested, new or not.
That's not really a good idea, if the engine really is taking too long to warm and it's not some freak electrical problem it can cause damage to the cylinders. There was a big discussion on here about running even lower than 180 degree TStats and someone posted a research paper that some company did showing that if an engine isn't getting to the proper operating temp in the cylinder it doesn't burn off some of the corrosive chemicals made inside the engine resulting in premature engine wear.
K&N FIPK genII
LOCK RIGHT
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom Front Bumper (TREE KILLER!)
Flowmaster 40 series - 45'd out before the rear wheel

jimdodgeram1500

Posted: 09-10-2006, 08:33 PM
State: MA
Post #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by abossram

Sorry, I meant to bold face this part of the quote.
K&N FIPK genII
LOCK RIGHT
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom Front Bumper (TREE KILLER!)
Flowmaster 40 series - 45'd out before the rear wheel

gramol

Posted: 09-11-2006, 06:18 AM
City: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Post #8

if pcm doesn't see 180 in 20 minutes from start up, it'll throw that code. change your thermostat with at least a 180. stock is 195. .
2000 dodge durango,5.9 L,4wd,cold air intake,clear corners,mechanic from canada(spend my days diagnosing and finding broken wires/bad modules),onboard laptop loaded with mitchell, alldata,autoenginuity among others
Closed Thread