Engine Running Cold too long??? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Loud_Dodge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Running Cold too long???

I was driving my little sister to school today and my check engine lite chimes on. After I drop her off I stop in the parking lot and plug in my superchips. I forget the code number now, but it told me that "Engine running cold for too long". And when i checked the temp gauge it was very low. I cleared the code and the check engine like hasnt came on again, i drove about 200 miles in all today. Any ideas why? How to fix it? Anything?? haha..i'm at a loss. Thanks!

Benny
2010 Ram Hemi Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
abossram

If ya gotta fix it replace the temp sensor. I'd just drive it unless its running crappy. But also check out your battery cable connectors for corrosion and clean them real well. Some funny things happen with Rams with weak batteries or bad connections. HTH

Edit: I see you have a LOT of power eaters, also. Maybe time to have the battery load tested, new or not.
#3 Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Silver_DodgeRam
Mmmmmmmmm, beer.

What temp is your t-stat?

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Crew - work in progress
2008 Chrysler Aspen 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, Loaded
#4 Old 09-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Loud_Dodge

(Thread Starter)
Bought a 180 Degree thermostat today, haven't had time to install it yet. The battery thing is also a good possiblity, I've been thinking of up-grading my alternator, or just a getting a new alternator. Thanks for the input!

Benny
2010 Ram Hemi Sport
#5 Old 09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
gramol

thermostat is stuck open.

2000 dodge durango,5.9 L,4wd,cold air intake,clear corners,mechanic from canada(spend my days diagnosing and finding broken wires/bad modules),onboard laptop loaded with mitchell, alldata,autoenginuity among others
#6 Old 09-10-2006, 08:32 PM
jimdodgeram1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by abossram
If ya gotta fix it replace the temp sensor. I'd just drive it unless its running crappy. But also check out your battery cable connectors for corrosion and clean them real well. Some funny things happen with Rams with weak batteries or bad connections. HTH

Edit: I see you have a LOT of power eaters, also. Maybe time to have the battery load tested, new or not.
That's not really a good idea, if the engine really is taking too long to warm and it's not some freak electrical problem it can cause damage to the cylinders. There was a big discussion on here about running even lower than 180 degree TStats and someone posted a research paper that some company did showing that if an engine isn't getting to the proper operating temp in the cylinder it doesn't burn off some of the corrosive chemicals made inside the engine resulting in premature engine wear.

2000 ram 1500 sport
4X4 5.2L
33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains
K&N FIPK genII
LOCK RIGHT
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom Front Bumper (TREE KILLER!)
Flowmaster 40 series - 45'd out before the rear wheel
#7 Old 09-10-2006, 08:33 PM
jimdodgeram1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by abossram

Sorry, I meant to bold face this part of the quote.

2000 ram 1500 sport
4X4 5.2L
33x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains
K&N FIPK genII
LOCK RIGHT
Custom Rear Bumper
Custom Front Bumper (TREE KILLER!)
Flowmaster 40 series - 45'd out before the rear wheel
#8 Old 09-11-2006, 06:18 AM
gramol

if pcm doesn't see 180 in 20 minutes from start up, it'll throw that code. change your thermostat with at least a 180. stock is 195. .

2000 dodge durango,5.9 L,4wd,cold air intake,clear corners,mechanic from canada(spend my days diagnosing and finding broken wires/bad modules),onboard laptop loaded with mitchell, alldata,autoenginuity among others
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.