Magnum converted to run E85? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 AM
FL3JM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Magnum converted to run E85?

Has anyone converted their Mag to run on E85 (Ethanol)?
If so, how did you do it and did you feel the HP increase? What mileage did you get?
I know alot of cars can run on 100% E85 without any conversion, anyone tried that?

I am curious cause its getting popular here in Sweden, our gas prices are insane (~$1.7 / Litre) and the Ethanol is alot cheaper (and you get some HP increase ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-09-2006, 02:42 PM
dhermesc

Ethanol contains less BTUs of energy per gallon then gas. Factory setups (FFV) usually result in the same cars getting about 80% to 85% of mileage on ethanol as they get running regular gas. Ethanol is a higher octane fuel and high compression engines designed to run only E85 could almost match the mileage of autos running regular gas. Most aftermarket conversions to run E85 (especially older carbed engines) don't come close to matching the factory set ups and hearing about mileage dropping by half while running E85 is not that uncommon.
#3 Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM
FL3JM

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, i know the mileage gets up to 30% worse, but i calculated that, and in a worst case scenario (that is if my car has 30% lower mileage) i still save $0.28 / Litre. Thats enough for me to want to convert, even if it costs a couple hundred bucks.

I have read about people needing to change their fuel pumps, but thats only in jap cars. Since it needs more fuel than normal when using E85, small crappy jap pumps can't keep the pressure up on high revs.
Well i guess this doesn't apply to our REAL CARS eh?

I guess i just need to try that E85 by my self then, just had to ask if anyone had tried it before. ALL cars can have a 20% E85 mix along with the ordinary gas, then ill just have to increase the percentage untill i get some abnormal engine functionality or some shit.

I wonder how much HP gain i will get tho, a guy in a swedish E85 forum got the following results with his turbo charged volvo (1.5 bar):
Max hp/torque with etanol: 330 hp/460Nm.
Max hp/torque with 98 octane fuel: 288 hp/397Nm.
(98 Octane is the highest octane available at fuel pumps here.)
Getting 40hp boost AND saving cash sounds too good to be true.

Do you have E85 in the states by the way?
#4 Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
desquirrel

Ethanol is not big in the US because we do not have the fuel taxes that would make the difference in price large enough to warrant all the hassles.

To run ethanol mixes the car has to have a fuel system with components able to withstand it. This is not particularly difficult, but then the computer system must be able to adjust for it. Our cars are not set up for it.

One maker recently showed a car able to run on 8-10 different fuels. As a matter of fact you could switch from one to the other while underway and it was not noticable.

Any mix of ethanol will yield less mileage and less power. You can get more hp by making use of the higher octane value in ethanol (higher compression, more advanced timing) but these things all have to be engineered in advance.

So you're not going to just pour an alcohol mix in and drive away.

Brilliant Black RT AWD, Electronics Grp, Convenience Grp, Sirius, Remote start, CD changer
#5 Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
FL3JM

(Thread Starter)
Bah, so i what i need is a chip that can tune my engine to utilize the higher octane?
I use 98 octane atm, are you saying i could use 95 octane (the lowest we have) and have the same milage and power because the car isnt tuned for higher than 93 or whatever? O_o
I thought engines had some kind of censors that adjusted the compression to optimal for the fuel used.
#6 Old 08-10-2006, 11:33 AM
desquirrel

Our cars require 89 "pump octane". Our pumps display an octane rating which is an average of the "Research Method" and the "Motor Octane" method. This results in a number which is less than on the pumps in Europe.The computers ability to adjust is based "around" this value as opposed to say a Saab turbo, which will vary engine settings to make better use of higher octane fuels.

In short, you're not doing anything by going above the octane rating specified for your market.

Brilliant Black RT AWD, Electronics Grp, Convenience Grp, Sirius, Remote start, CD changer
#7 Old 08-10-2006, 11:49 AM
FL3JM

(Thread Starter)
Ok, so if i use E85 in my mag i wont get any performance increase and my mileage will get <30% worse, but it WILL work right? Will i risk destroying something in the process?
To get a performance increase i will have to change the engine settings (chip tune) so that it will take advantage of the higher octane, is that correct?
#8 Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 PM
desquirrel

I don't think the engine is certified for E85. The Superpac tuner will has a 91 octane setting, or you could wait for Morpheus .

#9 Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 PM
FL3JM

(Thread Starter)
If you check the Magnum Maintenance Logbook under "Schedule B", one of the conditions there is:
" If equipped for and operating with E-85 (ethanol) fuel "
I was just wondering HOW i can equip my mag to be able to use E-85.

What exactly is "Morpheus" by the way? Whats the diffrence between the Superpac?
And your 91 octane, what octane is that on the pumps here in Europe? Any way of calculating that? O_o
#10 Old 08-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Husker

I think the best way to figure out how to use E85 would be to contact DC...
#11 Old 08-14-2006, 04:45 AM
HankL

I would not be surprised if numerous changes need to be made to a flexi-fuel vehicles so that it can stand up to ethanol over long periods...but on another board it was posted that a key item that should be changed is to go to a fuel line whose interior doesn't break down when in contact with ethanol.

Most flexi-fuel vehicles use a Teflon lined fuel tank hose.

Someone thinking of experimenting with converting a vehicle to E85 ought to consider going to a Teflon lined hose as a bare minimum.
Closed Thread