6 Cylinder Diesel or 8 Cylinder Diesel? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM Diesel Talk

Closed Thread

SyteX17

6 Cylinder Diesel or 8 Cylinder Diesel? - Posted: 08-06-2006, 09:50 PM
Post #1

I have driven several diesels, I have found that the cummins sounds more like a true diesel, then the others such as duramax and power strokers. I'm a fishermen, I listen to diesels all day long, every day for at least 10 hours a day. My boat has a volva 6 cylinder diesel, a buddy of mine has a Cummins in his boat. Yes the cummins is always louder and it is a rattle box but is very reliable in marine and in dodge trucks. I'm looking into purchasing a Diesel, getting sick of the gas job. I have a 5.2 Dodge 1500, the thing gets like 12 mpg, to What I have heard the 8 cylinder diesels get better gas mileage then the cummins. I like all of them, best ride is the GM, the two most rugged trucks are the F-350 and The 2500-3500 Ram. The GM seems to lack weight in the back of it, seems to sag, but loves to tow, but what diesel doesn't love to tow? GM doesn't turn for shit, Ford has gotten better in 06 with the new front end in the 250's and 350's. Dodge has always been able to turn well. My father has a 2500 HD, Chevy crew cab, the thing will not turn for shit. I hate having to back a trailer up, but has the best ride. I dunno, seeing what I get for input...I like them all, always pro's and con's in a vehicle. My dad has had a cummins before, it was a 02, the loudest pick up diesel i've ever heard. Start that thing up at 4:00 in the morning when she's cold to go shrimping and its 15 below, LOUD. Wake everyone up...loved that thing...As far as looks i like the GMC's and the 02-05 Dodge Sports, the F-350's are ok. I don't like the Chevy's anymore because of the hood that they changed in 05...haha i'm picky...good enough. Buddy of mine has a F-350, and Another buddy of mine has a 02 2500 Dodge Cummins, you can put some bait in them things, and they don't budge, put 8 barrels in them and hardley even know it, put 2 in a GM and your in trouble, plus they are so god damn low the the ground, half ton Dodge is taller then a 2500 HD....

Which one should I get?

Thanks, Sytex....
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

dieselracer

Posted: 08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Diesel enthusiast
City: Citrus Heights, CA
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

It's all personal preference in the end. I am not sure if Ford has fixed all the problems with the PSD or not. The Cummins is tried and true, and since 03 they are very quiet when stock. The quietest diesel in stock form is the CTD, they do not start to rattle unless you uncork the exhaust and put a freeflowing air cleaner on it. But the ford is very loud on the rattling. If you want a quiet truck with towing power, I would have to say go with the Dodge, but then again this is a Dodge website. I doubt you will be getting anybody telling you different. I have test driven all three, and in the end, I didn't like the small windows of the GM, the ford seems small on the interior, and the leaf sprung versions didn't steer as well as the Dodge. And I hate GM IFS. I am very happy with my Dodge and the Cummins engine in it.
MBRP Resonator with custom side exit exhaust
BullyDog Triple Dog w/ Crazy Larry
Autometer 0-60 boost gauge and pyro gauge
Rokktech timing sensor
Line-x spray in bed liner
Overload airbags and smart leveling valve
Eagle Alloy 102 17x9" wheels and 315x70R17 BFG All Terrains.

Dyno'd: 319Hp and 595 lb. ft at the rear tires with 33" meats w/ Predator stage II box
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

NickBeek

Posted: 08-07-2006, 09:38 PM
City: Upstate SC
View This User's Gallery
Post #3

I got rid of my 2004 F250 because I had a lot of trouble with it. I drove the GMC it is a nice truck. I ended up getting the Dodge. I am very happy so far with my new truck. It pulls great (better than my Ford), it gets about the same mileage as my Ford did, and so far no problems yet (2500 miles). But as said before it all boils down to personal opinion.

Ram4477

Posted: 08-07-2006, 09:59 PM
City: Minot
State: ND
View This User's Gallery
Post #4

If you want a die-hard work truck that looks good and runs great, you can't beat the Dodge. The Chevy't and GMC's are nice trucks (and they do ride better on the highway, empty, don't tell anyone I said that) but they are soft and sit too low for my liking. And the Fords....where do I start.....they will not turn around inside of a country mile, there as loud as a damn helicopter, and the 6.0L powerjoke has just plain had too many problems for me to spend my hard earned money on one. There's my 2 cents......

lvramcummins

Posted: 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Got Torque??
City: La Vernia
State: TX
View This User's Gallery
Post #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram4477
If you want a die-hard work truck that looks good and runs great, you can't beat the Dodge. The Chevy't and GMC's are nice trucks (and they do ride better on the highway, empty, don't tell anyone I said that) but they are soft and sit too low for my liking. And the Fords....where do I start.....they will not turn around inside of a country mile, there as loud as a damn helicopter, and the 6.0L powerjoke has just plain had too many problems for me to spend my hard earned money on one. There's my 2 cents......
i totally agree Ram4477. HD Rams are the better work trucks hands down. the 6.0 PSD is one big engineering flop. the engine is crap. to me the cummins also sounds like a true diesel. PSD and Duramaxes just sound wierd to me. get the cummins it'll last you forever

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 08-08-2006, 09:51 AM
Administrator
City: Windsor Ontario Canada
State: OTHER
View This User's Timeslip
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyteX17
What I have heard the 8 cylinder diesels get better gas mileage then the cummins.
Thanks, Sytex....
I believe that to be a false statement and if you pull a load behind they will never get the mileage a CTD gets.

2013 Ram 3500 CTD 6.7L 6 Speed Aisin, 4:10 LSD

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

1984 Mini-Ram Van (Show Van) **TOTM April 2007** In museum now

73 Pro Street Duster.**VOTM July 2008/ April 2011**

1951 Dodge 3 Window Business Coupe **VOTM Feb 2011**

1992 Custom Built Harley FXSTC Show Bike

2008 Harley FLHTCU Ultra Classic

DodgeTalk Administrator

CTD Enthusiast Club Member #02

Names Carl, if you cut me I bleed Mopar Blue

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK

bucci

Posted: 08-08-2006, 10:11 AM
City: Jessup, PA
Post #7

A few people who are in the excavation business told me that in-lines make for better diesels than the V-8 configurations.

Any truth to that?

Ram3500Dually

Posted: 08-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Administrator
City: Windsor Ontario Canada
State: OTHER
View Member's FaceBook Profile
Post #8

Take a look under the hood of most big trucks. You will find straight sixes and eights. A diesel in a V8 configuration will NEVER make the torque of a six. As the old saying goes "Six In A Row Makes Them Go"

2013 Ram 3500 CTD 6.7L 6 Speed Aisin, 4:10 LSD

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport

1991 Shadow ES Turbo Convertible

1984 Mini-Ram Van (Show Van) **TOTM April 2007** In museum now

73 Pro Street Duster.**VOTM July 2008/ April 2011**

1951 Dodge 3 Window Business Coupe **VOTM Feb 2011**

1992 Custom Built Harley FXSTC Show Bike

2008 Harley FLHTCU Ultra Classic

DodgeTalk Administrator

CTD Enthusiast Club Member #02

Names Carl, if you cut me I bleed Mopar Blue

Past Trucks: 90 CC Dually CTD, 94 RC LB CTD, 95 CC SB 5.2L gas, 98 QC Dually CTD, 00 QC Dually CTD, 01 QC Off Road, 03 QC Dually CTD, 05 QC Dually CTD, 08 Dually CTD **ROTM April 2008**,10 CC Dually CTD,

SUPPORT THOSE WHO SUPPORT DODGETALK

bucci

Posted: 08-08-2006, 10:41 AM
City: Jessup, PA
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500Dually
Take a look under the hood of most big trucks. You will find straight sixes and eights. A diesel in a V8 configuration will NEVER make the torque of a six. As the old saying goes "Six In A Row Makes Them Go"
That's probably what they were basing it off -- their excavation equipment. They're all in lines. Even the small machines are in-line 4 cylinders.

I guess what they said is true.

bamataco

Posted: 08-08-2006, 01:54 PM
City: Rio Rancho
State: NM
Post #10

Your asking this question on a Dodge message board,so you can be pretty sure that almost if not every one is going to tell you Dodge.
I recently bought my Dodge truck, and my advise to you is to buy either the Dodge or the Chevy but definitely not the Ford. I spent quite a bit of time reading on message boards of all three and the owners of dodge and Chevy/GMC trucks seemed over all pretty happy with their trucks. but while reading on Ford message boards the owners there are quit unhappy with their 6.0 diesels. Many of them are long term Ford owner that say they aren't going to buy another because of the problems they are having with their trucks. And combined with the problems they are having with their dealers not having parts to fix them as well.
I narrowed my choice to either Dodge or Chevy then test drove all three any way. But the biggest decoding factor was the dealers. The Chevy and the GMC dealers didn't really seem to be aggressive in making a sale. The Dodge dealer on the other hand worked to get my business. That combined with the reputation of the Cummins diesel made me choose the Dodge.

magnum_ram

Posted: 08-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Limited Edition
City: Mobile
State: AL
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamataco
I narrowed my choice to either Dodge or Chevy then test drove all three any way. But the biggest decoding factor was the dealers. The Chevy and the GMC dealers didn't really seem to be aggressive in making a sale. The Dodge dealer on the other hand worked to get my business. That combined with the reputation of the Cummins diesel made me choose the Dodge.
I agree w/ that..the reputation alone of the cummins is soooo much better than the others..not to mention the fuel mileage is way better..my grandpa has an 05 and gets about 20mpg..while the same ford or gm/chevy gets 14-16..but take ur pick...the only complaint i have w/ the cummins is tryin to stop the darn thing..that inline 6 makes way too much torque down low
the inline 6 is the best setup for torque, there are many articles on that..one of the main reasons is b/c its the best balanced engine type, and u always have a piston at the top of its stroke during the entire cycle..so sayin a v8 is better than an i6 shouldnt be quickly judged...though it is possible

SyteX17

Posted: 08-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Post #12

"Six In A Row Makes Them Go" I agree totaly with that, I'm looking into getting a Cummins Diesel Marine engine for my lobster boat. Very Relaible engine, i know for a fact, and I like the sound better...one thing I don't like about the dodge for 06 is the new headlights...I've always liked the looks of the 03-07 GMC's. 8 cylinder do sound weird, they don't sond ballzy enough if you know what I mean, because of the lack of torque sounds like a VW rabbit diesel but louder, lol pretty gay. Think i'm def. going with cummins all the way across the board, lol. I like the 02 2500's better because they are louder. I've always been into dodges since my dads first dodge was a 95 Ram 2500. I was young at that point almost 19 now, looking for a new truck.

Another thing I heard from one of my buddies is that Dodge is going to Mercedies Diesel engines....Not what I wanted to hear, but I also know that Ford is the owner of Cummins Diesel, but they continue to put power strokes in there trucks. My friend tried to get them to put a cummins in a F-350 and he said he would pay for the trouble of doing that and they still wouldn't do it, he just didn't liek the looks of the dodge 06 that is. Think i'm gonna try to find a 02 Dodge loaded with everything like my dads old one, something that has like 30k miles on it...hard to find. Cummins it is..

bamataco

Posted: 08-08-2006, 07:26 PM
City: Rio Rancho
State: NM
Post #13

I drive a regular cab and one more thing that I like about my Dodge over a Chevy is the extra room in a Dodge behind the seat. My son drives a 06 Chevy regualr cab and inside is almost clostrophibic compared to my truck.

SyteX17 Ford doesn't own Cummins, it owned about 10% of the stock years ago but no longer owns any part of Cummins.

CDP6.7

Posted: 08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
City: Denver
State: CO
Post #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram3500Dually
A diesel in a V8 configuration will NEVER make the torque of a six.
I agree with you a CTD is the better motor, but your statement isn't entirely accurate. The current 5.9 CTD is making 610 ft/lbs of torque, the V8 Duramax is making 660 ft/lbs. In big rigs, I know you are right, but the current offerings in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, is contrary to your statement.

Old Truck
2008 2500 6.7L CTD QCSB 4x4
12.05 @ 111.89 mph, 8800 DA 7/25/12 Fuel only

EFI Live, ATS Twin CP3's, 250hp nozzles, Full billet ATS 47RE w/standalone, Aurora 6000 75/83/1.10 AR, T4 two piece manifold, H-11's, 5.9 intercooler, AFE Stage 2, 5" turbo back no muffler, AirDog 150 X 2, DiPricol gauges, plugged fuel valve, 20x10 black Eagle Alloys on 305/50/R20 Nitto 420's

plum_crazy

Posted: 08-08-2006, 11:22 PM
City: Lewes
State: DE
View This User's Gallery
Post #15

I have had my CTD for a few months now and I will never go back to a gasser. I have my own mechanical contracting Co. and when I Pull our trailer i don't even know its there. I bought my 06 CTD QC 4x4 14000.00 dollars cheaper than my buddy who bought a F-250 Powerstroke.

75 Power Wagon

Posted: 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
'75 Power Wagon
City: Nor Cal
Post #16

The thing of it is, sure the cummins may be the least powerful motor stock. But the cummins is the far superior diesel motor if you put any money into it. All the diesel trucks that drag, are running cummins. I know of many trucks (ford and chevy) that put cummins motors in them, but never one of their motors in a dodge.
1 Ton Axles with 4.56 Gears
Ron Francis Wiring

"It was the loudest vehicle i had ever heard in my life!" - Officer Carmen, Orland Police Department

magnum_ram

Posted: 08-09-2006, 07:38 AM
Limited Edition
Post #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamataco
SyteX17 Ford doesn't own Cummins, it owned about 10% of the stock years ago but no longer owns any part of Cummins.
Thats right..i was wondering where SyteX17 was gettin that from. I even forgot bout the whole 10% thing..that was a few years back..

magnum_ram

Posted: 08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Limited Edition
Post #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegohemi
I agree with you a CTD is the better motor, but your statement isn't entirely accurate. The current 5.9 CTD is making 610 ft/lbs of torque, the V8 Duramax is making 660 ft/lbs. In big rigs, I know you are right, but the current offerings in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, is contrary to your statement.
well he may not have been entirely correct...but look at how much displacement difference it took to compete..cummins is a 5.9 (360cid) whereas the duramax is a 6.6(403cid)..and even now..the new duramax only puts out 650 ft/lbs of torque..needless to say...when comparing a v8 and i6 of the same displacement..the i6 will come out ahead most every time. and though the duramax makes comparable torque in the peak, the i6 will in most cases have a flatter torque curve. something most ppl dont look at.

Last edited by magnum_ram : 08-09-2006 at 07:55 AM.

dieselracer

Posted: 08-09-2006, 07:48 AM
Diesel enthusiast
City: Citrus Heights, CA
Post #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegohemi
DC could easily turn up the Cummins without hurting it. GM had to do a complete makeover just to get the new higher output duratrash. If you really want to know what is the more durable engine, look at what people are building for racing. I have never seen or heard of a 1000 hp Powerstroke or Duramax that is still running a stock bottom end. But if you watch diesel drag racing or tractor pulls, every Cummins on the track is still running stock lower components, with modified heads,and turbos. The damn things are stout. You can get well over 1,000hp before needing to use a stronger crank or rods. That is just amazing if you ask me. And as far as longevity, how many people have PSD or duramax trucks with over 1,000,000 miles on them. Straight six engine chug along for a very long time.
MBRP Resonator with custom side exit exhaust
BullyDog Triple Dog w/ Crazy Larry
Autometer 0-60 boost gauge and pyro gauge
Rokktech timing sensor
Line-x spray in bed liner
Overload airbags and smart leveling valve
Eagle Alloy 102 17x9" wheels and 315x70R17 BFG All Terrains.

Dyno'd: 319Hp and 595 lb. ft at the rear tires with 33" meats w/ Predator stage II box

magnum_ram

Posted: 08-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Limited Edition
Post #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyteX17
Another thing I heard from one of my buddies is that Dodge is going to Mercedies Diesel engines....Not what I wanted to hear
i have heard the same thing..but i wouldnt be so against the mercedes diesel just yet...i have a friend that has driven big rigs for bout 40 yrs now..and he is always sayin how much better they pull and how much better the fuel mileage is..he said that on avg, most big rigs get bout 5 mpg...where as the mercedes gets 8mpg or better. not only that but he could never stay w/ them pulling a load uphill...he has always downed chrysler for not makin that swap..though i still like the cummins a whole lot and i know its very dependable..but i wouldnt mind seein that change if it is truly that good.
Closed Thread