97 Grand Caravan overheating and A/c problem - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP DODGETALK MERCHANDISE ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk > Dodge Caravan General Talk

Closed Thread

nelsonm

97 Grand Caravan overheating and A/c problem - Posted: 08-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Post #1

Hi all,

Ok... this is my first time on the forum so bear with me... with a little history.
I have a 97 Grand Caravan. In the span of a few months i had...

- a rear brake cylinder blew out on me and was repaired at a Marathon station in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
- had the front driver side strut tower replaced at Fox Hills auto body in plymouth, MI.
- had the leaky front a/c core replaced and the system recharged at Radiator Hospital in Farmington, MI.

The current problems...

1 - A few weeks later a noticed that the car would run hot almost to the point of overheating with or without the a/c on. I checked the radiator and its full of coolent.

2 - At the same time the a/c would work for a while blowing cold air then it would start blowing ambient temperature air. It would either come back on its own or i would have to turn the a/c off for a while before it would work again.

I would appreciate any help.

I did look through the form and found that the overheating problem might be a bad radiator fan relay.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RobD

Posted: 08-02-2006, 06:18 PM
State: MI
Post #2

I think I have your twin vehicle up here in Mt. Pleasant, MI!

The evaporator on my AC corroded out last year - whole AC system replacement for $1100. A few months before that I needed brakes and drums all around.

My 97 Grand Caravan had a corroded radiator, about 50% gone according to the repair guy. Plenty of fluid, but would run hot (75% water temp). Run it harder, it would rise to 80% and the AC would cut out. I thought it might have been the water pump not running right - just me wishing for the cheap repair!

Ran me $416 for the radiator, gaskets, and new thermostat installed including tax.

And now, not 5 miles on the engine since that repair, I'm getting code 45 and going into Limp mode on the tranny. This at 142,000 miles (only 40,000 on the rebuilt tranny). Have to research this now - seems like a big coincidence.

Last edited by RobD : 08-02-2006 at 06:27 PM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

96Grand

Posted: 08-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Post #3

Here is some helpful information. Let me know what you come up with and what you did to correct it.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Causes of Overheating.doc (94.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: doc Gauge High No Blow Off.doc (37.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: doc Cooling System Suspected As Cause of Poor AC Performance.doc (20.5 KB, 33 views)

nelsonm

Posted: 08-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Post #4

Wow!

It cost me $800 just to replace the front a/c core. They said it cost so much because they have to take out part of the dash. Hummmm.

So your a/c would cut in and out because of the car running hot?

Did the a/c return to normal after you fixed the radiator and thermostat?

Last edited by nelsonm : 08-03-2006 at 08:57 AM.

nelsonm

Posted: 08-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Post #5

So...

As far as running hot at low and high speeds, the doc says that it could be a stuck thermostat and probably not the fan relay.

kvanderstel

Posted: 08-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Post #6

I've got a 97 Town & Country, and mine will run fine for 2 weeks then the temp gauge goes up. A/C will also cut in and out. I've found at freeways speeds things are ok, so I'm thinking mines a fan relay or perhaps fan related.

I've read that the relay switch and somthing in the A/C system controls when the fan comes on and off, anyone confirm this?

I've found some sites that indicate broken relay mounting screws could lead to a burned out relay.

I've found what I think is a relay on the drivers side radiator support. Two screws are holding it in place but it looks ok. Is this the fan relay? Anyone have a photo? The fan relay is not part of the relays in the fuse box in the engine compartment on the drivers side?

I replace my radiator cap, thermostat and twin electric fans (one was burned out).

96Grand

Posted: 08-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Post #7

Check the document below.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Radiator Cooling Fan Motor Relay.doc (62.0 KB, 40 views)
Closed Thread