check egr light won't go out - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Vintage Dodge Truck Forums > 1972-1987 Dodge Ram Trucks (D, W-series)

Closed Thread

desertdirk

check egr light won't go out - Posted: 07-18-2006, 08:10 AM
Post #1

I have an 87 ram 50 and the "Check EGR" light cam on at 100,000 miles. How do I get it to go out? I have tried turning the ignition key on and off several times but that does not work.
Thanks
DD
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

bherder

Posted: 07-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Mopar Madness - Get it...
City: N.E. Washington State
State: OTHER
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Take the bulb out of the dash...

But seriously,... Did it come on at exactly 100,000 miles?

May not be anything wrong at all. Some computers on rigs are 'pre-programmed' to turn a warning light on, even if there is nothing wrong...
("Check Engine" light)... (Get you into the dealer to 'fix' nothing wrong..)

Sometimes, disconnecting the positive cable from the battery for 10 minutes or so, will clear the 'warning' lights up, sometimes not. Sometimes you have to have a 'tech' at the dealer get rid of the light for you. Maybe you really DO need an EGR valve.

Then again, if I'd replaced everything a light on the dash told me to all the time, .... Heh heh heh, you know how that goes

Guages, I trust.... 'Lights'... Well.... Ehhhh......

One more note... I've got a Geo Metro with 190,000 miles on it. The 'check engine light' came on about.... Oh, 120,000 miles ago.... I'm still driving it and it still gets as good as mpg/power as it ever had....

Eh, for what it's worth

"There's been a DODGE in my garage since 1974"

Restoration Photos

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

desertdirk

Posted: 07-18-2006, 08:22 PM
Post #3

As a matter of fact I did remove the bulb, but it stayed lit!! Ha
No, I did disconnect the battery and it stays on. The manual says it comes on every 50,000 so maybe when I hit 150,000 it will go out again.

Now if I can just figure out the new carb problem . . .
DD

Speed Dragon

Posted: 07-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Aka Force Fed Mopar
City: Campobello, SC
Post #4

Stick a piece of tape over it Take it to Advance or AutoZone, usually they can clear codes for you. If they do and it comes back on, swap out the EGR and have them clear it again and see what happens.

If you still have a cat on it, it could be getting stopped up and throwing the light too.

Chump

Posted: 07-19-2006, 10:44 PM
State: CO
Post #5

http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...3d8020047f.jsp

bherder

Posted: 07-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Mopar Madness - Get it...
City: N.E. Washington State
State: OTHER
Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chump
Heh heh heh.... And there ya go....

"Removing the bulb or disabling the system before the specified mileage is a violation of the Federal Automobile Emissions Act."

BE CAREFUL!! I'm sure the FBI has nothing else better to do than throw you in the slammer for 20 years for pulling a light bulb out of your dashboard...
But these days, one never knows...

"There's been a DODGE in my garage since 1974"

Restoration Photos

desertdirk

Posted: 07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Post #7

I am going to have to tell the guys at Autozone about their own website. This is a great resource and when I went in to Autozone to have them check this out, they didn't know about this. Thanks so much for the info.
DD

desertdirk

Posted: 07-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Post #8

Well
I looked at the dash and found a small panel (actually thought it was a blank for some other option like a switch or light) when I popped it out, I found the rest switch behind it. Brilliant!
Thanks again
DD

richknapp

Posted: 07-26-2006, 08:43 PM
City: Tucson, AZ
State: AZ
Post #9

i have a 86 Power ram 50 and i had a little switch under the dash besal for the gadges. it was on the right side below the cluster just had to slide it to the opposide side. mine goes off every 50,000. sitting in the seat with the besel/gadge plastic seround off (4 screws, 2 up top, 1 hidden by cover plates one right side of dash plate the other is hidded behind the hazard switch insert), it should be right there staring you in the face on the lower right side
Closed Thread