How do I remove instrument cluster on 97 Gr Caravan? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-06-2006, 11:24 PM
miskaffon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question How do I remove instrument cluster on 97 Gr Caravan?

I have the infamous dead instrument cluster on my 97 Gr Caravan. It's been doing this on and off for about two years, and I've always been able to fix it with a good whack on the dash. This isn't working very well any more, so it seems I need to re-solder the connections on the back. I have no idea how to get the cluster out, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2006, 04:24 PM
speedie105

My 98 does the exact same thing. I smack the dash and the insruments come back. If you find how to fix the problem please let me know. speedie105@hotmail(dot)com The post would not let me put the . in that is why I had to spell it out LOL. I cant figure this thing out.
#3 Old 08-10-2006, 09:53 PM
RobD

Did you ever find instructions on how to do this? My 97 just got back from repair for a limp mode problem. They replaced the TCM after doing a complete wire test. But now I'm getting the dead speedometer and tachomoter and PRND dead issue. Before I took the van in for service, the trip/reset test showed code 999. But now I'm getting code 905 and 940 and it goes away after the van has been running for 5-10 minutes.

I can solder, I just need to know how to get to this cluster module in the dash.
#4 Old 08-11-2006, 03:23 AM
webbee

Here is one set of instructions on the dash cluster fix.

Last edited by webbee; 08-11-2006 at 04:14 AM.
#5 Old 08-12-2006, 08:41 PM
RobD

Thanks, those helped quite a bit. I was able to get some time tonight and take the dash apart. It looked like my ground was cracked, so I re-flowed all the solder joints on the connector. Unfortunately, I put it all back together and it still didn't work.

So being a computer tech, I started to apply my diagnostic ability to the van. Realizing that this problem never occurred until after I had the TCM replaced, I decided to probe under the hood. The guy that replaced the module originally thought it was electrical, so I figured that was a good place to start. Found the main wire assembly just below the battery had been sliced open and several wires had poke holes in them. I grabbed the bunch, gave it a good twist and shake, and sure enough - the dash is working.

I can't prove he did it, and I'm not about to pay for the wiring harness assembly to be replaced. So I'll just have to see how long my "fix" works for, and evaluate the situation when I can no longer make it work again. I will be calling the guy on Monday and giving him a big "thanks" and tell him to not worry about finishing the quote on repairing the BCM (his prognosis on what is broke).

DodgeTalk rules with all this great info! I went to a shope instead, and I should have come here first when my water temp was running hot (saga in another post). Their fix (new radiator) led to the check engine light, which led to the TCM, which led to the busted wiring. Too many cooincidences here, but I've involved 3 shops so I can't point a finger at any one place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.