How much to rebuild rear end? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
dervari
Sporting Clays Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How much to rebuild rear end?

Well, I had the dreaded rear pinion seal failure. My wife thought the whirring noise was tire hum and kept on driving. I'm afraid it has blown the rear end to hades. Anyone have an idea on how much I should be expecting to pay for this on an '02 Ram 1500 9.25 LSD rear end? I'm in the Atlanta market.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-03-2006, 11:34 PM
hemi1569
All Around Great Guy

That pinion seal would have had to have blown out to lose enough fluid to wreck the rear end. I would pull the plug and see how far down the fluid is. Or you can just go for it, drop the cover and look for metal shavings. A rear end is generally about a 1000 bucks depending on what is destroyed. Figure about 5 to 6 hours or more to rebuild at 90 bucks an hour, so that is about 500, then usually you will not need a ring and pinion UNLESS it was driven dry. Most of the time the pinion bearing and diff bearings will smoke first. Pull the pan and if the fluid looks grayish and it has metal in it, it is time for a rebuild. A good thing to do is this. Unhook your rear ujoint and grab the yoke and see if you can move it back and forth. If you can, the pinion bearing is gone and the diff bearing/carrier bearings are more than likely gone as well

Names' Kevin
9/26/09 htc rally, best run 4880lbs, full street trim minus tailgate
14.31 @ 93.52
6.1 cam and pushrods
Ramhammer intake
Doug's headers(mids) with factory cats
catback

http://www.streetfire.net/video/6500...ift_740132.htm
My 6500rpm superchip shift 0 to 60mph video

Knock retard limitations by the pcm on a stock tune, it can pull:
15.0 degrees at low RPM's
5.0 degrees at 6000 RPM
9.0 degrees at 4800 RPM's.
#3 Old 07-03-2006, 11:47 PM
dervari
Sporting Clays Addict

(Thread Starter)
I stuck my finger in and the oil was right at at hole, so it doesn't appear that much (if any) had leaked, which is strange. I even tried topping out with 75w140 and it started leaking out almost immediately. It was still relatively clear, since it had just been changed about 5k ago.

I assumed it had been leaking since I saw an oily residue all around the pinion seal and on the underside of the diff casing.
#4 Old 07-08-2006, 11:51 AM
sherdep
voo doo 1 I am buggin out

If you have oil in there and you hear a whining noise .. sounds to me like the LSD Clip issue like alot of people are having on top of the pinion seal leaking.
If you are the original owner you should be able to get it covered under the 7/70 as long as you arent over 70,000 miles or if you have had the rear end repaired or serviced from a dealer you might be able to play your cards right. Good luck and let us know how you made out

04 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
6" Fabtech Lift
305/70/18 Dick Cepek FC-II Tires on DC-1 Rims
Fram Boost CAI
Hellwig Rear sway Bar
Train Horns with a Viar420C and a 5 Gallon Air Tank
Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Great fit but Dynatech's support is lacking
DynoMax Part # 19413 Single Cat Back Exhaust
If you need to contact me - please send me an email due to not being on here as much as I used to.

Some get it and some will never get it

#5 Old 07-11-2006, 01:18 AM
The Juice

That's funny A couple of weeks ago I was looking into a rear end for my truck and was quoted 1300 installed for 4.56 here in Phoenix. This week coming back from a trip I get the wurring noise and dropped it off Monday and turns out they are replacing the rear end. Tried to get em to put different gears in but they said anything higher would require a different axle and housing.

2002 1500 QC 4x4 Tow Package
SLT+ 5.9 Graphite Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.