Whining Noise - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 06-28-2006, 09:33 PM
DODGEIT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Whining Noise

I've noticed a whining type noise when driving. I don't notice it until I unload the driveline. As the vehicle slows down is when I hear it. I am unable to hear it with the a/c off and the windows down as the noise from the outside air rushing in drowns it out. However with the windows closed and the a/c on low fan the noise is there. It sounds like mid truck is where it maybe coming from. Any suggestions.

2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn QC 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-28-2006, 09:49 PM
Fargo
Leaning Tower of Power

You may be suffering from the same problem we have...

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109791

Fargo

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(49)*
#3 Old 06-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Fargo
Leaning Tower of Power

If the noise is coming from the rear axle, remember that the huge driveshaft will resonate the sound up through the truck and make it hard to detect exactly where it originates...

*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member #(49)*
#4 Old 07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
James D. Reding

My truck is whining also, I had a shop look at it and it is comming from the rear diff. they said that once it starts making the noise there in nothing to stop it accept to replace the gears, and make sure that the backlash is set correctly.

1997 4x4 sport
extended cab
#5 Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
kennethpruett

It may not be gears, but the pinion bearings.
That is what failed in mine.

KP
#6 Old 08-24-2006, 03:24 PM
DODGEIT

(Thread Starter)
Well I finally sent my truck to be fixed. New pinion bearings,new carrier bearings, seals and labor came to $630.00. After all is said and done I still have a noise. It is somewhat different then before. I've had it back and forth several times since my first posting and while they have worked on it each time it was there they can't seem to find what is now causing the noise. Lash has been checked and rechecked. Tried several shims and the noise won't go away. Shop owner says ring and pinion have normal wear and don't need to be replaced. The noise is deeper in sound then before plus I can hear the ring gear making noise. I have a 1200 mile trip coming up in a few weeks. I am open to suggestions as to what it might be. Also axle bearings were in good shape.

#7 Old 08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
kennethpruett

Mine still makes a noise that also is different in tone and seems to be affected more on heavy accel/decel.

Someone said I should have checked the backlash but my father and I didn't think about it until it was all back together.
I also used the same shim.

Not sure what to tell you.
I was worried about mine (and still feel uneasy about long term), but the sound has not gotten louder and sometimes I think it got a little quieter.

Maybe someone else will have some more info.

KP

Hope your trip goes well.
#8 Old 08-24-2006, 07:37 PM
DODGEIT

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Kenneth. Yes mine is affected by accel/decel. The noise also varies in loudness depending on speed. I can't hear it with the windows down and the a/c and radio off. But with windows up and a/c on low or even off I hear it significantly. Really sounds loud on smooth pavement. I may end up replacing the ring and pinion before it is said and done. I am going to get a second opionon from another shop. I went to the shop I had it repaired at on the recommendation of my normal mechanic who is down to just himself in his shop and didn't have time to get to it for several weeks. I will have him drive it also to see what he thinks.

#9 Old 08-25-2006, 10:12 AM
kennethpruett

No problem.

Let us know what he says.

KP
#10 Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Jeff_Taylor

I was getting this terrible whining sound in my truck. It only occured when my wife was in it!

Jeff
'10 Ram 1500 QC
TRX4, Hemi
#11 Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
chizzle1
REDNECK SPACESTATION

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you checked the u-joints?
DODGEIT: some noise is normal. When I had my Yukon 4.11s installed, I noticed a different noise than with the 3.55s.
After 1000 miles I took it back for the inspection (per recommendation of the mechanic that did the install).
He checked the lash, play, etc and all is well.

01 Ram 5.9 Sport QC 4x4 - 157k, current build project - SCT Stage1 custom tune via Hemifever, Harland Sharp 1.7:1 roller rockers, Modded Kegger, Edelbrock ProFlow,52mm TB,180* t-stat,e-fans, pacesetter long tube headers, true dual with spun cats and thrush shorties, 34x11 Falken ATs on 3rd gen Dodge 20"s, 3"TC lift, PML Deep Pan,SunPro Tranny Temp gauge,Rebuilt 231D,TSC Diamond Box, Sony head unit, AVS 3 piece bug deflector
10 Dodge Challenger R/T in Brilliant black - MyGig 730N w/ navi,dvd,HD,u-connect & rear cam, 6 spd, Track Pak, SRT8 shorties & mids, DS Predator, Jet 180*, Airaid CAI, BBK 85mm tb, SLP line locks, de-badged, resonators removed, DRL enabled, skip shift eliminator, mopar hood struts, functional hood vents, 392 chin spoiler
09 Suzuki 1255S Bandit Metallic Blue on black, 1255cc I-4, 6 spd, Yoshi can, K&N, Bags Connection tank bag, TPX fuzz buster, Techmount GPS holder, Suzuki center stand, World Performance Seat
2013 Dart Limited Pitch black, fully loaded, hers
SOLD 06 Hemi Durango 4x4 Limited in Atlantic Blue Pearl
SOLD 97 Ram 1500 SLT Laramie in DuPont Frost White Pearl
#12 Old 09-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Loud_Dodge

Careful Guys! Mine was making a whining noise to and it ended up being the throwout bearing on my tranny. I have a 5-speed manual. It made the whining for a few months and then one day after slowing down from 65 or so to make a turn i pushed in the clutch and a horrible screeching noise started. I let the clutch out and it stopped. Pushed the clutch in again and it screeched. Then when I let it out it didnt matter, the screeching would not stop. So I just bought a clutchkit from autozone and replaced everything myself. After that, no whining at all. Dont know if that could be a problem with automatic tranny's, but just a headsup.

Benny
2010 Ram Hemi Sport
#13 Old 09-12-2006, 09:13 PM
DODGEIT

(Thread Starter)
Well after another trip to the repair shop the noise is finally gone. They pre- loaded the pinion bearing some more and that seemed to take care of it. Heading out tomorrow (9/13/06) on my trip. We will see how it goes.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.