Wipers won't turn off - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Vehicle Forums > Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan Talk

Closed Thread

Msswn5

Wipers won't turn off - Posted: 06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Post #1

I have a 98 Grand Caravan--which I just purchased the end of May. Almost immediately, we had to have the bcm replaced and a circuit board for the cluster. Noticed that the wipers would ghost occasionally--but I don't know if that happened before those repairs as I didn't have the van long enough to know all its quirks.

A few days ago, the wipers decided to run non-stop. If I pull the fuse, they will reset and stay off until I turn them on--but then I can't get them off. They run continuously--no delay.

Have checked fuses, relays and the multi-function switch--all seem to test OK. Hubby plans to clean the motor and see if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions? Pulling the switch and hopping out in the rain to get the wipers started again doesn't seem practical!

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

96Grand

Posted: 06-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Post #2

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

1.Windshield wipers will turn on while the windshield wiper switch is in the "OFF" position for one or more wipes **with the ignition "ON",** or when the turn signal and/or headlamp beam select is actuated.

2.Windshield wipers will not turn off with the ignition switch "ON" or OFF and the 4lTE transaxle may go into limp-in mode when the windshield wipers are turned "ON".

3.Windshield wipers stop immediately (instead of parking fully down) when the switch is turned "OFF" or continue to wipe for approximately 10 seconds after being turned "OFF" and then stop wherever they are (instead of parking fully down) either by using the windshield wiper switch or the ignition switch.

NOTE :IF THE WIPE OCCURS AT VEHICLE START UP ONLY, MAKE SURE THE IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD) FUSE IS FULLY SEATED.

REPAIR PROCEDURES:

Symptoms, One, Two and Three

SYMPTOM ONE

1.Remove the top and bottom steering column covers.

2.Remove the two multi-function switch attaching screws and save.

3.Pull/slide the multi-function switch out from the mounting housing and disconnect the wiring harness.

4.Connect the wiring harness to a new multi-function switch, p/n O5O12382AA.

5.Position the new multi-function switch into the mounting housing and secure with the two screws previously removed in step 2.

6.Verify the multi-function switch has been installed properly by putting the switch lever into the left or right turn signal position and turning the steering wheel to ensure cancellation occurs.

7.Install the top and bottom steering column shrouds.

SYMPTOM TWO

1.Make sure the ground eyelets are placed properly on the stud and the nut holding the eyelets and the dipstick tube is tightened securely.

2.If there was no continuity between the ground wire eyelet wiring connector on the bottom of the PDC, locate the open in the circuit and repair it.

3.If there was no continuity between the PDC connector to the center terminal of the windshield wiper "0N" relay, replace the PDC. Be sure to install the PDC cover properly.

SYMPTOM THREE

1.If there is no continuity between the BCM connector and cavity the wiper module wiring connector as described in the Diagnosis, locate the open in the circuit and repair it.

2.If there is no continuity between cavity wiper module wiring connector and ground as described in the Diagnosis, locate the open circuit and repair it.

3.If there is continuity as described in the Diagnosis replace the wiper motor using the procedure outlined in the appropriate service manual.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Closed Thread