DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

resetting computer (check engine light)

35K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  kitcar 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I'm new to the forums and had a couple of questions.

We bought a 1992 Dodge Dakota LE (5.2L V8 ) yesterday and we're trying to reset the check engine light. Do any of you guys know how to reset the computer? When it gets reset and the light comes back on, we'll take it to autozone to get checked for trouble codes, but for right now, we want to basically start over and see if the problems have been taken care of previously.

Thanks in advance.

Erik

#2 ·
To reset the PCM, disconnect the negative battery terminal. Turn your ignition key to the start position and hold it in place for 15-20 seconds, then turn the key to off and reconnect the battery. Your clock and radio settings will have to be restored

#4 ·
Not sure on the '92's?

#5 ·
On the earlier models, disconnect the neg term for a couple of minutes. No need to turn the key. If that does not work, it'll need to be reset with a scan tool...

Hope this helps!

#6 ·
you can pull dtc codes by turnin key on key off key on key off then key on within 5 seconds, the check engine light or something on the dash should start blinking if you count the blinks that crosses over to actual dtc codes and at the end of the codes it will flash a 55 code which would be blink blink blink blink blink pause blink blink blink blink blink its kinda annoyin doin it this way but if you dont have access to a scanner it works, i had to try it a couple of times before i figured it out. and i believe allpar.com has a list of the dtc codes

#8 ·
I also have a 1992 Dodge Ram B250 with the 360 engine, disconnecting the battery ground will NOT reset my PCM. I will try the disconnect and turning the key to see if it will. I also read that turning the key in the off postion and the disconnecting the PCM plug would reset it????? Have not tried that but will if this doesnot work. The check engine light will blink in the fashion mentioned above by turning the key on and right back off 2 times and then the thrid time leave it on, about 5 to 10 seconds it will start blinking

#9 ·
I read this recently and it seems to work: Open the hood. Stand at the passenger side of the truck, looking down at the computer. Disconnect the connector at the RIGHT side while looking down at the computer. Reconnect after 5 minutes. This is supposed to keep the clock, etc from losing their settings. My understanding is that the computer (ECU) will now take initial readings from all the sensors on startup and through a drive cycle. If they fall out of compliance with OBDII standards, the light will come back on.

Of course, you can use the good old standby of disconnecting the battery if it doesn't work for you. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.