Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found.... - Page 7 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Rogmatt

Posted: 03-22-2007, 07:10 AM
Post #121

David,

We live in Milton, Florida just outside of Pensacola. The river behind the Truck is Blackwater River.
I was born in Dallas, Tx. Roger Jr. & I want to go to Texas to find good hunting trip that we can do on a regular basis. I lived in Harlingen, Texas as a kid, and in Whitewright, Tx when i was just 2-3 years old.
Roger Jr. rebuilt his 4 wheeler himself. he fixes all the lawnmowers for the senior citizens in our neighborhood. he would rather have tools for his birthday &
Christmas than toys. He & I also dabble in gunsmithing. He has repaired several old rifles for some old timers in our neighborhood. We try to go to the range together a couple times a month to shoot. He is a fine young man. He is considering helping others do their Dodge steering fix around here.
he he is shooting our AR-15.

Last edited by Rogmatt : 03-22-2007 at 07:18 AM.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ramming Speed

Posted: 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
City: Liberty Township
Post #122

Where can I get one of these bushings? 00 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RamVanMan

Thumbs up back to you....Ramming Speed - Posted: 04-04-2007, 03:47 PM
RamVanMan
City: Nacogdoches, TX
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramming Speed
Where can I get one of these bushings? 00 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab
Ramming Speed:

I like your forum name - last time I heard that term used was, I think, in the renowned film 'Ben Hur' - on the Roman slave ships.....

Anyhow, details on ordering the Ram truck steering column rebuild kit are at:

www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Hope this helps !

David B.

Tyranny Rising ? The answer to 1984.....is 1776 !

"Evil is powerless, if the good are unafraid."
Ronald Reagan

"You never have to give up an ounce of Liberty to obtain security."
Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1

ROWDY69ER

Posted: 04-06-2007, 07:29 PM
Post #124

hey--been checking out your fix but not sure i need it---i have bad play in my 97 dodge sst,i first replaced the gearbox and the pitman arm and it was tight,but the steeringwheel was a little crooked.I drove it for months like this and then when i got new tires i had them give me a alignment to straighten out the steeringwheel,then i started noticing that i was having to play the wheel back and forth to keep it straight--kinda like it was real loose?--i can grab the steering shaft under the hood and turn it back and forth a good bit,it will turn back and forth on the top of the steering gear box (which is only a few months old and seemed to be fine before the alignment)--there is no play at the bottom were the piman arm and all is.so i wonder if they loosened the pressure with the adjustment on top of the steering gear to align it? any help of suggestions would be appeciated--thanks

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Random thoughts....thanks David - Posted: 04-10-2007, 10:38 PM
RamVanMan
Post #125

Well, let's put it this way - our Ram trucks steer, when new, quite poorly. (Go drive a Toyota if in doubt...) Then they get worse with age & miles.

We musn't leave any stone unturned - do check every item in your entire steering & front suspension system, as it sounds you are in the process of doing. Obviously, in any 'system' - the whole will only be as strong as it's 'weakest link'.

Once you start & find weak areas, you'll probably eventually do most / all of the 'normal fixes'.

All the 2nd gen Rams have the weak lower column bushing, with the 4x4 / Diesels, manifesting the problem earliest due to the weight & stress on the front end.

But, we've seen pleny of guys with 2 wd and the gas engines have the same problem, it usually just takes a bit longer.

2wd units are simplest to perfect - less weight & 'monkey motion' up front - no heavy axle, no track bar, no long control arms, etc.

It's like we Ram truck fans have to be diligent 'Columbos' (remember that 70's detective series ?) to ferret out the suspension & steering solutions......have fun,

DB

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1

Last edited by RamVanMan : 04-10-2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: clarity

ROWDY69ER

Posted: 04-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Post #126

SO---in your opinion,would i need your bushing---thanks

RamVanMan

Thumbs up back to ya.... - Posted: 04-13-2007, 08:14 PM
RamVanMan
Post #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY69ER
SO---in your opinion,would i need your bushing---thanks
It sure couldn't hurt !

And it will remove virtually all of the play originating in the steering column.

You'll be one large step closer to a Ram truck that steers straighter than it did new.

After going through the front of my '97 4x4, mine finally does.

Arrow straight down the road - no sawing on the wheel to keep 'er straight.

I surely appreciate that when I'm towing a 14,000 # gooseneck like I did last month.

We guarantee you'll be satisfied....

Regards,

David B.

PS: I, and others here, mention the 'other items'- and they're discussed all through this thread (plus many other, too) that bear on this issue. The steering system as a whole must be checked, fixed where worn, or even upgraded. (Our kit doesn't just fix it, it upgrades it to 'better, tighter than new' standards) Usually, guys do this one item at at time, starting with the most obviously bad component, working through the whole list.

The steering column get's overlooked, usually until you've done EVERYTHING else and are still going crazy chasing down the clunk, rattle or steering play.

Please, if you haven't done so, read back through the whole thread to learn what all I've -and others - have done to achieve this. If you're a 2 wd, you'll have even a shorter list of potential things to fix / upgrade.....

Have fun !

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

dirtfan1

Posted: 05-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Pit Crew
State: OH
Post #128

I have a "clunk' also but it only happens when the truck is in park when you put it in gear it goes away. it also sounds like it is coming from the steering wheel or the area of it. Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance

Slowhand62

Posted: 05-09-2007, 11:56 PM
City: Florida
State: FL
Post #129

you may want to consider this... the "cluck" is most likely the transmission linkage. When you don't use the parking brakes the trucks transmission is bearing the weight of your truck.(esp. on an incline) and the weight/force transfers to the transmission linkage. when you use the gear selector you may feel its hard to shift/pull and loudly clunks when engaging into gear.
I live in Florida, not a lot of hills but i noticed this on my truck.. Hope this helps.. Let us know.

RIZIN ABOVE

Posted: 05-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Post #130

I've tried to contact Dave B by phone and have also e-mailed him with no success. I need the bushing for the column, and I'd like to talk to him concerning it. Can someone help me contact him or if someone knows him, I would appreciate it. Thanks

henz01

Posted: 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM
City: Pittsburgh, PA
State: PA
Post #131

I have the same clunk, my mechanic thinks I'm crazy. It has been doing it since about 70000 miles.

2001 RAM 1500 102500 miles
*Hedman Hedders, AIRAID intake, PowerAid throttle body spacer, 2'' Tuff Country leveling kit, Rancho steering stabilizer, Rancho RSX shocks, Lund Moon Visor, Lund hood scoops, Energy Suspension bushings, 285/70R17 Kumho's*

Senaka

i havent had that problem....yet - Posted: 06-04-2007, 06:12 PM
View This User's Garage
Post #132

my 1996 dodge ram 1500 v8 5.2 magnum hasnt had that problem in the 4 years that ive owned it and ive been pretty rough on my truck i mean i love it but sometimes im gratefull they done have vehicle abuse laws hahaha

basicly the only problem ive had thats connected to the steering was my steering gear i blew a gasket on it when i was cranking the wheel several times to move it while it was dead as a door nail

TheRick421

Posted: 06-14-2007, 12:43 PM
City: San Antonio
View This User's Garage
Post #133

Got the motion Great read up on the steering fix. Appreciate all the knowledge poured into this.

I live in San Antonio ROGMATT and if you need hunting my family owns 600+ acres in Llano TX Great hill country whitetail all types of exotics and pigs. Good turkey and dove also.

About the bushing I am in dire need of this. My problem just started at the 93K mark. And as it is described to perfection in this Post. My truck is right along with all others. I am an engine guy though not real experienced with steering but i feel i am after the read. lol.

Oh yeah the truck 2K Dodge QC 1500 Lock Stock. Upgrades cosst money But my 8 month old costs more.

Thanks for the insight in this.

Mods:

Spray in bed Liner
Husky tool Box

And that is it

Future Mods:
14" By 3" Air filter
Flow 40S Exhaust
And anything else my wife tells me I cant Get.

ductmate

steering wheel clunk - Posted: 06-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Post #134

my 98 2gen ram 318 4x4 at 48,000 started to make the clunk i had just purchased the truck used from a dealership and had a warenty they replaced the collum and some other parts and the noise went away however i now have 109,000 and it is back also the cat failed at 48,000 as well left me dead on the side of the road now at 109,000 it feels like it may be getting clogged again any sugestions why this may keep happining with the cat

RamVanMan

Thumbs up ideas for you......thanks David B. - Posted: 06-25-2007, 11:41 AM
RamVanMan
Post #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ductmate
my 98 2gen ram 318 4x4 at 48,000 started to make the clunk i had just purchased the truck used from a dealership and had a warenty they replaced the collum and some other parts and the noise went away however i now have 109,000 and it is back also the cat failed at 48,000 as well left me dead on the side of the road now at 109,000 it feels like it may be getting clogged again any sugestions why this may keep happining with the cat
Ductmate,

On the column clunking. It can happen to a brand new column. In my research, I found guys who back in 1994 - first year for our 2nd gen trucks - had Dodge replace the column once or even twice.

Back then, Dodge would warranty it for Ram owners. Not anymore.

The primary issue is too much clearance in the lower end column bushing assembly that allows clunking or noise to occur readily. Especially true once miles rack up.

Dodge only offers the entire column for about $ 900 kinda pricey to fix such a minor issue (albeit a super irritating one).

One way to diagnose it is this: if you feel it in the pedals, as well as hear & feel it through your steering wheel - as a sharp rattling or clunking over small pavement imperfections, joints.

The reason it's so irritating, is that your column and steering wheel are, in effect, acting as a loudspeaker sending the noise straight at you when you drive.

Mostly, the noise starts out subtly and usually grows louder with time & miles.

Do make sure it's not just a minor front end noise. Here's how to tell:

If it's a 'undercarriage' front end only (no column issue), the sound will be more distant & muffled - barely discernable with the windows up, (or only discernable with the windows down, while driving besides a wall which reflects the sound back to you.)

Our problem, on the other hand, when you roll up your window, it's worse, because now you can hear the clunking more distinctly in a quiet cab.

On the cat problems, I'm hardly the expert - but I can tell you my experience at least.

I know that defective O2 sensors can cause the fuel injection to run too rich, dumping fuel and (maybe) damaging the cat.

You'd probably notice horrible fuel mileage.

I have a 1996 B 2500 Ram Van (same drivetrain as your 318 /Ram truck), and the mileage all the sudden went from 15 mpg to 10 mpg - plus it ran rough & showed a 'check engine' code. I used an OBD 2 scanner to read the code - it mentioned some 'lean fuel, bank 2' code.

The mechanic said it could easily be the O2 sensors - he was right.

I my O2 sensors, and bingo - problem solved. No damage to my cat in my case, mileage & smoothness restored perfectly.

O2 sensors were not cheap $ 90 each I recall, but it must be done for proper operation. (My Ram Van has 2 sensors -pre & post cat. Same on your truck ?)

Hope any / all of this is helpful to you,

Take Care,

David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

cmh2007

Posted: 06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Beware the Underbite!!!
City: Katy, TX
Post #136

mine just started to make a very slight almost unnoticeable click adn it makes 3 clicks on either side of center to the stop. i think its the clunk/rattle but dont know. sprayed the universal connector on the steering shaft and it didnt seem to make any difference.

2009 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 SLT Lone Star, Patriot Blue. H&S XRT Pro 120hp tune with OD tuning. Full delete on the exhaust, waiting on the EGR.
Big Country Nerf Bars, Frontier Grill Guard
Blue Truck Club Member 251
*DodgeTalk.com 318 Enthusiast Member Number 3* (For the old truck)
4x4 Club #18

"I'm as sober as a field mice...mouces...mouce" - Anonymous

Tat360

Posted: 06-30-2007, 12:57 PM
State: VA
Post #137

I'll buy one for sure... I have been trying to track down this problem too.....your kit would really help me....

Mods -
Replaced tailgate with a gatornet tailgate.
Put 20's on the truck with xts tires
Replaced taillights
Ripped out carpet and insulation
Took out passangers seat
Took out all ventalation
Took out a/c pump
Took out heating pump
Ripped all the dash board out (except for the gauge cluster)
Replaced serpentine belt with a shorter one since no a/c pump.
Stripped all interior out

Fox Fader

Posted: 07-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Psalm 121
City: Columbus
State: GA
View This User's Garage
Post #138

I sent and email to the address on the site, but haven't gotten an answer. I'd like to have one, but had a question.
Swag #1 - '02 Durango 4.7 4X4 89k
Swag #2 - '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
Swag #3 - '06 GSX-R 1000 Streetfighter

What do you add to powdered water?

RamVanMan

Thumbs up I'd like to answer your question... - Posted: 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
RamVanMan
Post #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader
I sent and email to the address on the site, but haven't gotten an answer. I'd like to have one, but had a question.
Hey Fox Fader:

I answer every email question I see. I think spam filters gobble some up emails up - I do get some & answer them, but I think not all.

Why not ask your question here - I never fail to get a note that someone has posted, then I read (& answer if needed) ASAP - usually the same or next day.

Look to help you asap, thanks
David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

XjessejamesX

Posted: 07-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Post #140

I got a 95 ram 1500 2wd 5.9 slt blah blah blah. any way ive never heard any clunk or had any noises or steering problem's, but im in my truck 12 hours a day and would like to perform any preventative maintinence that may improve performance. so lets check it out
Closed Thread