Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found.... - Page 6 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

browncityrednec

Posted: 02-13-2007, 09:40 AM
City: brown city,mi.
Post #101

me too!!!!!!!i cannot stand that clunk-and it's gotten costly replacing parts
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RamVanMan

Thumbs up $$$ and I still had the clunky thing going on....DB - Posted: 02-16-2007, 08:49 PM
RamVanMan
City: Nacogdoches, TX
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #102

Brown City :

If you've already checked or replaced every conceivable front end / steering linkage part, then this one is probably the last one to do:

www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

It was for me, drove me nuts because I'd already checked or replaced (mine is a CTD 4by 2500 - 1997):

Ball Joints
Control Arms (upgrade to Rancho w/ urethane)
Steering Box tight
Intermediate shaft tight
Track Bar (rebuild / upgrade with Luke's Link)
Sway Bar (upgrade with Urethane)
Checked each steering knuckle - fine & tight
Upgrade Steering Box pivot with "Darin's Bracket"
New Rancho Shocks

I do all that and 'ta-da' the clunk starts really bad so noisy I don't drive the truck for a month because I'm afraid something will fall off causing a loss of control......

I've spent $$$ upgraded or checked everything, and then it does this clunkly, clunky thing over pavement joints, driveways, rough pavement, etc.

So, if this kind of describes your situation....have we got a fix for you.....

Drive Safe & Take Care,

David B.

Tyranny Rising ? The answer to 1984.....is 1776 !

"Evil is powerless, if the good are unafraid."
Ronald Reagan

"You never have to give up an ounce of Liberty to obtain security."
Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

uncledon

Posted: 02-23-2007, 06:54 AM
Ram It
City: Elizabethtown
State: KY
Post #103

ok, ive read most of these and really dont see what mine is doing or maybe im just reading wrong. i can move my steering wheel up and down ever so slightly, enough to where its annoying, it almost feels like where the steering shaft connects to the dash with the two bolts are that i could just tighten those and it would take care of it. i haven't looked into it but its really not "clunking" like most are saying on here i can just feel "play" in it or can move the hole column feels like from side to side or top to bottom, like maybe a 1/16" but enough to feel....driving me crazy? is this a possibility? or is it under the hood area and not under the dash????
68 Barracuda(Sold)
67 Camaro RS/SS 396

King Z-ster

Posted: 02-25-2007, 10:12 AM
Super Duper Paratrooper
State: TN
Post #104

I was wondering if my truck fell under this "clunk/rattle" problem. It doesn't make any clunks, rattles, or any other noises that I can remember noticing, but the steering is quite touchy. Sometimes my wife will ask if I'm drunk because the truck tends to weave a little because of this. I can really notice it when I let someone else drive it because they are all over the road. My wife refuses to drive my truck (no problem there!).

streetram

Posted: 02-27-2007, 03:26 PM
STREETRAM
City: stoughton
State: MA
View This User's Garage
Post #105

Got mine the other day, I think i'll have time to install it next weekend, i'll let you know how it works. Thanks again!

Rogmatt

Posted: 02-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Post #106

I got mine last year, but still have not installed it. Seems complicated.
Anyone else don it? Can't decide either to remove steering column or do it under the hood.

streetram

Posted: 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM
STREETRAM
View This User's Garage
Post #107

Iplan on doing mine on the truck. I guess alot of people do it this way w/no real problems, i'll let you know how it was when its done.

streetram

Posted: 03-03-2007, 07:12 PM
STREETRAM
View This User's Garage
Post #108

Well its in, I did it on the truck. The only problem I had was pressing the new bushing in, there is NO room to swing a mallet cause of the brake booster and the lines, other than that I would suggest doing it on truck unless for some strange reason you realy want to take out the steering coloum. Oh yaeh I wasn,t able to press the bushing in all the way to the shift linkage like it showed in the pictures, I was wondering if that is common the thing is in there very tight its not going to fall out or anything like that, I was just wondering if that will cause a problem? But like I said its pretty much a straight forward job that I bet anyone could do. Please let me know about my bushing issue RAMVANMAM thank you. Another thing, is there a break in procedure or a timeframe cause it seems alittle too tight , almost? I did change my idler arm too(MOOG) that could be why it seems alittle stiff. Thanks again.

streetram

Posted: 03-05-2007, 03:40 PM
STREETRAM
View This User's Garage
Post #109

Well, I ordered another kit for my buddys 98 4x4. He wanted it after I told him the difference it made on my truck.

RamVanMan

Thumbs up  Posted: 03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
RamVanMan
Post #110

Hi guys:

Streetram,
glad to hear you got it installed. It's ok if it doesn't go clear up to the lip, as it's a slightly tapered design, you just want it tight up in, then put on the retainer and you're done.

It will be slighly 'tight' to the steering feel, then in a couple hundred miles it 'seats in' - and it makes the steering feel much more solid. When you pull yourself in the truck, it will feel like the steering wheel is anchored into cement, and it won't wiggle like crazy as it probably does now. (I have a 4by4 so I use my steering wheel as a 'pull point' to get me up in the seat...)

I wouldn't pull the column, you can do in 'on truck' and so make the job much shorter 1 hour or so, instead of a whole column pull & dash disassembly job.

More details at www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

thanks David B.

RamVan (& truck !)Man

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1

streetram

Posted: 03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
STREETRAM
View This User's Garage
Post #111

Thanks for getting back to me, I was getting worried about driving the truck around if it wasn't in the right way! I can already tell a big difference but its still alittle tight i've only put about 50 or 60 mi on it since its been done. Thanks again great product!!!!

ram51

Posted: 03-16-2007, 04:53 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #112

I don't have it yet on my 1999 Ram 1500 SPORT 4X4 (103K) but my 98 Dakota has it will it work on that truck?

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Maybe, maybe not.... - Posted: 03-16-2007, 05:16 PM
RamVanMan
Post #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram51
I don't have it yet on my 1999 Ram 1500 SPORT 4X4 (103K) but my 98 Dakota has it will it work on that truck?
Ram 51,

I suspect not. I don't have a Dakota near me to inspect, but earlier another Dakota owner asked that & sent pics and it was an entirely different steering column design.

It looked like this: the steering column itself was much shorter, the intermediate shaft actually penetrated the firewall, and had a bushing in the middle, a bearing upon which it rotated. We figured the bearing in the middle was bad, and MOPAR only got around $ 200 for the whole intermediate shaft assembly which thus fixes the problem.

Whereas on the Ram truck, the column is much larger, penetrates the firewall and at it's terminal end the lower bushing / bearing assy goes bad - and MOPAR wants
$ 900 for the whole deal - which the motivation for us to have a cost effective fix for our Rams.

Mind you, this 'research' on the Dakota problem was all done by email & pics, but it may help you locate your problem - hope so !

Keep in mind too, the Ram truck fix isn't just for when the column starts clunking (only the most obvious sign...), but it also eliminates the play our trucks tend to exhibit on either side of center.

For example, if you find yourself 'sawing' on the wheel to keep the truck straight on the highway - then our kit will cut that down by about 80 % or so.

Do this, and say, a few urethane front end bushings on the sway bar, new control arm bushings, (plus a Luke's Link track bar rebuild kit if a 4x4), maybe a DSS steering box support bracket - and the Ram truck will handle so much better & go straighter, it's amazing.

With the better handling, the hardest part is trying to keep the highway speed down....

Hope this helps !

David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

Rogmatt

Posted: 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Post #114

Well,

I ordered a kit for my son last year, & he finally installed it today by himself, on the truck. My son is 16 years old, and has been a mechanich since he was 8.

The OD of the bushing was tight, so he had to remove a bit with steel wool as it would not tap in. After a light sanding & some grease, it went in all the way but very tight. There was little room to swing a hammer, so he made an extension to put behind the pvc out of more pvc, and then he had the room to tap.
The road test was a pleasure. Immediatly, we noticed a difference that the steering was tighter, & has less play.
He is a happy camper & did it all by himself. The tall one is Roger.

Truck is 2001 1500 auto Sport 4x4 5.2L 295/75/16" tires

Last edited by Rogmatt : 03-18-2007 at 07:10 PM.

ram51

Posted: 03-19-2007, 09:10 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #115

I want one please!

ram51

Posted: 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #116

Thanks I gave the Dakota this weekend to my nephew let him deal with it I would like to know more about the fix for my RAM why wait for the steering to go bad.

ram51

Posted: 03-19-2007, 09:33 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #117

RamVanMan I'm going to order the kit will it work on Rams that is not lifted?

Rogmatt

Posted: 03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Post #118

A lift has nothing to do with it. The steering parts that are removed & replaced by the bushing is standard. It has really made a significant difference.

ram51

Posted: 03-19-2007, 11:46 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #119

Ok thanks.

RamVanMan

Posted: 03-21-2007, 11:01 PM
RamVanMan
Post #120

Roger:

Great to hear how it worked well for you. Thank you for taking the time to post and let us know how the install went

Your Ram looks super - what a great father / son project ! (My son helps me make & package them up for shipping...)

My kids saw the cool picture of you both & your Ram and asked "where do they live ?", (near a lake was all I could reply.....your scene kind of looks like a lake in Texas near where we're moving....)

Ram 51, Roger is totally correct, the columns are the same in any Ram 1994 to 2001.5, 2wd or 4wd, lifted or stock height. Installation is straighforward.

If you find yourself 'sawing' on the steering wheel to stay straight - this will eliminate it by about 80 % or so...pretty good 'bang for the buck...

Thanks Roger & son...appreciate the feedback...have fun (& be careful) in that Ram truck !

God bless,

David B

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

Closed Thread