Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found.... - Page 3 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

Ardog

Posted: 06-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Mopar or No Car!
City: Grandville
State: MI
Post #41

My 98 has a clunk that seems to come and go. Usually on left turns,I thought it was maybe ball joints? How can you tell if its ball joints or steering bushings?
Red Truck Club Member #55
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BLACK1999Ram

Posted: 06-25-2006, 12:10 AM
The Danger Dodge
City: Beautiful South Georgia
State: GA
View This User's Gallery
Post #42

OK! You can count me in. Very good price! I have a 1999, 2wd, Auto Trans
"The Danger Dodge"
Sold- September of 2006

Now I am in search of its replacement!
"The Danger Dodge II"
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Back to you, ssnyder.... - Posted: 06-26-2006, 11:20 AM
RamVanMan
City: Nacogdoches, TX
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnyder
I have a 97' 1500, 4X4 with 95.5K miles on it and it has the clunk and wandering steering issue. I checked the lower column and yes it has a huge amount of slop between the column and the bushing. I will definitely be interested in correcting this but one question. How difficult is it to remove the steering column?
Refer to your Factory service manual for the exact procedure - we'll include those pages with the kit, too. Our instructions are very detailed and have color photos showing the rebuild procedure.

This is mechanically challenging, but no big deal for those of us who 'wrench our Rams' for most projects. As you're working in the cab more than the engine compartment, it's kinda like installing a new stereo - you're pulling off the covers around the column, carefully disconnecting the wiring harness and pulling out the column.

You don't mess with pulling the steering wheel or airbag - they stay attached to the column the entire time. Just disconnect the battery negative cables to de-energize the system, then pull the column.

Once out, you rebuld it by gutting the stock retainer spring & lower bearing / bushing assembly and replacing with our new Delrin lower bushing. It will reduce your slop by about 95 %.

Now I can reach in, grab my lower column shaft, and vigorously shake the front end of the whole truck and feel about zero play.

Also kinda neat: My Ram is a 4 by, with semi truck tires - (19.5's ) & 2" lift - quite tall ! I use my steering wheel to 'pull' myself into the truck - now when I do that, it feels like the steering wheel is bolted into the engine block & frame - total stability.

Not until this was done did I realize how much slop & deflection was occuring in the lower column as I grabbed the steering wheel to use as a 'pulling point'.

You can usually identify if the clunk, rattle or groaning is coming from this area by doing this: grab the stock spring assembly on your lower coumn, (just as it comes through the firewall.) Shake back & forth to discern excessive play - should feel quite a bit of play. Now, twist this spring around the shaft - you can also spray lubricant on it.

Now drive your truck, if you notice that your moving it, or lubricating it has changed your noise issues (ie clunk, rattle, pop or groaning), this is probably where it is originating.

On ball joints / tie rod ends: jack up your front end. Grab each tire, lift up & down & side to side as helper attempts to hold the other side still. Any appreciable wear or looseness in either ball joints or tie rod ends should produce a clunky or noise indication.

(If no helper, just jack up one side at a time, doing the same test)

You can also just look carefully at the joints & rod ends as a helper moves the tires side to side slowly.

In my case, I'd done all this, plus the all the normal Ram 4x4 upgrades on my '97 and still had the clunk / rattle.

Had to read about a thousand posts / threads to begin to suspect this 'lower steering column' bushing was the issue.

So many, many Ram owners have this complaint, but so very few are willing to do 'exploratory dissasembly', especially with the numerous front end parts that can also cause clunking or steering vagueness, plus the fact that the steering column is perceived to be 'seviceable' soley by the Dodge dealer......

If you check with Dodge, you'll discover they only offer entire column assemblies, that have the same exact weakeness, for about $ 650 +, (depending on tilt/ non tilt or auto or manual trans column specs), + $ 300 labor to R & R it.

They don't offer a new OEM lower steering column bearing / bushing asembly - separately.

Even if they did, who'd want the same bad design that is going to exhibit the same objectionable noise & wander issues & ?!?

Ergo, the motiviation for my Dad & I to persue this fix - and to help others to fix it, too.

Love my Ram now, I gotta pinch myself - the steering now is as precise as my old Toyota truck was, [considering that Toyota was rack & pinion and the Ram is recirculating ball] ---

Hope this is of help - pics give a clue to this, too !

David B.

www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ColBackIn.JPG (43.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-022S.JPG (38.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-020S.JPG (34.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-017S.JPG (63.4 KB, 12 views)

Tyranny Rising ? The answer to 1984.....is 1776 !

"Evil is powerless, if the good are unafraid."
Ronald Reagan

"You never have to give up an ounce of Liberty to obtain security."
Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1

Last edited by RamVanMan : 06-26-2006 at 11:26 AM. Reason: re-wording for clarity

Bog3y

Posted: 06-28-2006, 01:18 AM
Post #44

Thank GOD someone finally figured it out. Put me down for one. Iv'e tried new shocks, borgenson, thuren trackbar, ball joints are good, wheel bearings are good, gear box good, replaced swaybar end links, nothing worked. It's a 97 with 59K. I was about to give up and sell the dang thang. Thanx for all your effort. If this works like you say it does you better make a bunch of em. And yes step by step instructions would be nice. Thanx again Todd

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Yeah, me too....thanks David - Posted: 06-28-2006, 11:02 AM
RamVanMan
Post #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog3y
Thank GOD someone finally figured it out. Put me down for one. Iv'e tried new shocks, borgenson, thuren trackbar, ball joints are good, wheel bearings are good, gear box good, replaced swaybar end links, nothing worked. It's a 97 with 59K. I was about to give up and sell the dang thang. Thanx for all your effort. If this works like you say it does you better make a bunch of em. And yes step by step instructions would be nice. Thanx again Todd
"Thank God" is right, Todd. I was praying over this problem all along the way - just shows me, God cares about even the 'little things' like mechanical integrity of our (necessary) vehicles - my family doesn't eat very well if I can't work, and I can't work if my truck doesn't function properly. My clunking was so bad I stopped driving it, fearing a road safety issue.

I was very frustrated just like you, I'd done the uprgrade, check & recheck over every single potential source on my 4x4 front end for the clunk - all was tight to spec & either upgraded or like new - so I'm very grateful to have it now totally fixed. BTW instructions have orderly steps & lots of pics....

Gotta get busy & make more - order instructions are on that site I listed.......take care, David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1

Davcruz

Posted: 07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I disgaree...:)
State: VA
Post #46

David, Just placed an order for one via the website. Can't wait to receive it! Darn clunk is about to get the best of me! HA
Toyo Open Country M/T 315/75-16's
AFE Stage II Intake
BD XMonitor pyro, trans, boost digital pillar gauge
Westach fuel pressure gauge
Edge Comp w/wire tap
Magnaflow 4" Exhaust
Airdog FP100 and big line kit

WolfinAlaska

Posted: 07-06-2006, 04:47 PM
City: Wasilla, Alaska
State: AK
Post #47

96 2500 2wd long bed ext cab 5.9 turbo D, I have it also. 250,000mi..

RamVanMan

Posted: 07-14-2006, 01:06 AM
RamVanMan
Post #48

OK David, (DavCruz), your clunk fix kit is on the way tomorrow, thanks for your patience.

Please let me know about how it goes, by email or call or post here - others have said instructions are quite clear & lots of color pics, making it step by step simple.

Wow, wolf, lotta miles on your TurboD Ram. Mine's a baby at only 153 k. They do last, though, just gotta attend to the issues as they arise, like this clunk & steering issue.

Mine started clunking at 148 k or so, on a long road trip - I thought the wheel might come off in my hands.

It also then became noticable on our mildly rutted dirt road, or washboard roads. Not anymore ! *

Regards, David B

* Good thing, too, cause the 46 RE auto trans in our Ram Van just gave up, so that's "this weeks' Dodge fix-it-project....always something, eh ?

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

01_OffRoad

Posted: 08-05-2006, 02:01 PM
That sounded expensive :(
City: Houston
Post #49

Are you still making these? I've got a pronounced "CLUNK" now. Thank you lift. Thank you tires. Got the trac bar situated, ready for the fix!

ENGINE / DRIVETRAIN MODS:
5.9L V8 | Pure Evil" Transmission by Dr. Evil Performance Transmissions | Hughes Engine Plenum Gasket reinforcement kit | Air Hog Drop in filter | No Muffler | 180° Thermostat | Dana 60 front, 5.38's | GM 14 bolt rear, disk brakes, 5.38's, Detroit Locker | Dakota Digital SGI-5 converter box

SUSPENSION MODS:
13" of total lift | Thuren Trac Bar | Rough Country 5" X-Series Lift Kit (removed)| 3" Top Gun Customz coil spring spacer | 3" Body Lift | Rough Country Hydro 8000 shocks | 41x14.50R17 Super Swamper Radial IROK | 17X9 Moto's |Top Gun Customz Dual Shock kit | 7" SkyJacker coils | Custom (very) long arms | Shackle flip + factory block in the rear

OTHER GOODIES / MODS:
Optima Red Top | Pioneer 6x9's and 5 1/4's | HD Radio / CD player| "C5 Corvette" style seats | 4 point harness system | 136 Amp Alternator | Thuren Cross Over Steering Conversion | Rock Lights

boyzarus

Posted: 08-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Post #50

Hey David B. -
Thank you so much for discovering the nature of this "clunk". I have a '97 4x4 1500 with a 5.9l and 113K mi. That damn clunk has been driving me nuts for the past year. I too have replaced all of the front end components, but the clunk never goes away. I manipulated the spring on the shaft and the clunk lessened, so that must be it. I'd love the step-by-step instructions on how you removed and replaced the bushing. Also, how much time you figure it takes. Do you have a kit available yet? I'm pretty sure I can machine one of my own, but I'd be willing to pay a little to eliminate the trial and error phase. Thanks again. Contact me at boyzarus@fltg.net

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Snowed under, yes they're available... - Posted: 08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
RamVanMan
Post #51

Hi to both of you guys,

Yes, we're making them, it's working very nicely for the few dozen guys who've ordered them.

Below is a comment from one fellow TDR member, on his results with the fix.

They take a while to make, we're very fussy with the specs so you get a perfect fit the first time. When you place the order, it ships about two weeks from that day, Priority Mail.

The instructions help you have the courage to 'tear into it', and we've also added a thing or two on the suggestions of the first dozen guys who did the fix, to make them clearer.

Yes, you could make one, just follow my earlier instructions. The advantage here is that for a reasonable price, we take the guesswork out of it, so you can focus on the fix itself, and not on engineering it from scratch.

OK here is what Ryan from the TDR said:

Well got mine installed. No problems what-so-ever. Fit was tight. Steering takes two hands, but hopefully that will fix itself once a few miles get on it. No clunks, bumps, squeeks or anything else that I was hearing or feeling. Nice solid feel. Just hope the tightness in the steering smooths out a little. Easy install. Thanks for a great product , wish it had been released a few thousand dollars ago.
Ryan

Thanks,

David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

Rogmatt

Posted: 08-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Post #52

Son's Dodge Ram 2001 1500 4x4 80,000 miles has loose steering. We want to fix it in a bad way.

440Swepty

Posted: 08-12-2006, 07:47 PM
City: Bloomingdale,GA
Post #53

Just placed my order. I suspected that my problem was in the column. I think this confirms it. How long will it take to ship? Thanks
1999 Durango 2wd 5.2L

Last edited by 440Swepty : 08-12-2006 at 07:53 PM.

RamVanMan

Thumbs up How long to ship steering fix.... - Posted: 08-13-2006, 11:44 AM
RamVanMan
Post #54

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for the order. We're running about 2 weeks to ship. We make them each to precise tolerances so production takes a while, but now you've a 'place in line'.

(We don't charge until it ships, of course)

We know you'll enjoy the 'clunk free' solid feeling Ram truck steering

Take care,

David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

Rogmatt

Posted: 08-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Post #55

I just went on your site & ordered the Fix. I look forward to getting it. Thanks

Keep the faith!!

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Back to you Roger, thanks David B. - Posted: 08-17-2006, 12:11 AM
RamVanMan
Post #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogmatt
I just went on your site & ordered the Fix. I look forward to getting it. Thanks

Keep the faith!!
Thanks brother, for the order.

You have nothing to loose except the maddening 'clunk' that may be driving you crazy. Mine got so bad, I stopped driving the truck, period, for a month.

But look at the good that came out of it, we developed this fix. So, good can come from 'apparent' evil.

Sounds kinda 'Redemptive' doesn't it ?

Keep the faith, in Christ, indeed !

David B.

PS: Please write back here on Dodgetalk forums or email me once you've employed it to share your results or any comments, positive or otherwise.

With 2 months of customer feedback, we've tightened the tolerances on the bushing and revised & improved the instructions to be simpler to follow....

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

RM Indy

Posted: 08-17-2006, 11:33 AM
Ram Racer
City: N43*44' - W79*16'
State: ON
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #57

My 99 2500HD V10 4x4 auto clunks. Only has 38k miles on it. Started noticing it just before it went off warranty (spring 05) and dealer did the usual fixes. Tighter steering but the clunk remained.

Barely notice it when no load but towing my Indy on its hauler as mentioned front end lift accellerating off the line and its quite noticeable. Planned on a Borgeson when I researched late last year after finding slop after the dealer fix but if this will really do it thats great!

Havent towed with it this year cause my Indy build has just gone crazy but want it fixed before I go to the track again (next year ughhh/sniff sniff)

Thanks in advance, please count me in
Blair
Procharger D-1SC (polished) w/3core a/a intercooler
http://www.rm-indy.com/Installs/mockup09-blown2.jpg

Tons of pics, timeslips, videos, installs, downloads & more check out www.rm-indy.com
(ets in sig pic = mild 360 w/7psi @ approx 390-400rwhp)

RamVanMan

Thumbs up  Posted: 08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
RamVanMan
Post #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Indy
My 99 2500HD V10 4x4 auto clunks. Only has 38k miles on it. Started noticing it just before it went off warranty (spring 05) and dealer did the usual fixes. Tighter steering but the clunk remained.........
Barely notice it when no load but towing my Indy on its hauler as mentioned front end lift accellerating off the line and its quite noticeable. Thanks in advance, please count me in
Blair
OK Blair. Good deal. I did a truck for a local San Diego guy ('99 Manual Cummins) that did the same.

He only really noticed the steering wheel clunking upon towing his boat. Something about the balance of the truck being changed, making the front end lighter, that would cause the steering clunk to occur.

Whatever the exact reasoning, after we did the fix, his clunking was gone while towing, and very solid unloaded or towing.

This isn't hard to do - I hear so many guys doing EXTREME things, this is quite simple.

You can read more : www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com
Complete illustrated instructions included & install tool

Take Care, David B.

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

BLACK1999Ram

Posted: 08-31-2006, 09:53 PM
The Danger Dodge
City: Beautiful South Georgia
View This User's Gallery
Post #59

When I turn right ..My truck makes a grinding sound and it vibrates a little..that only happens sometimes..everytime a mechanic is arround it aint doing it....Is that what yall are refering to as a clunk???
"The Danger Dodge"
Sold- September of 2006

Now I am in search of its replacement!
"The Danger Dodge II"

red truck

steering wheel clunk - Posted: 09-04-2006, 01:47 PM
City: paisley
State: FL
View This User's Gallery
Post #60

hi, i do indeed have the clunk! it has driven me crazy trying to find it and what causes it. what you describe sounds exactly like mine. any info would be appreciated. thanks, red truck
Closed Thread