Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found.... - Page 18 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Back to you on steering fix... thanks David - Posted: 08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
RamVanMan
City: Nacogdoches, TX
State: TX
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPR250R View Post
I ordered mine last year. Installed it today....

I did it on the truck and it was a little bit of a pain. Brake booster and lines make it tough to remove the old stuff and drive the new stuff on. With the column off it would have been a snap....

Anyway... I had a clunk when slowing down, going over potholes... etc... it was cming from the column.

This bushing fixed the clunk!

The steering a little tight now and it does not return as smooth as it used to. I only drove it for a couple minutes though... maybe things will loosen up...

Very happy... thanks RamVanMan... or Dave!!!!

DPR250R,

Thanks for your report on the successful install ! Good to know things went smoothly.

And yes, things will 'wear in' & 'smooth out'.

We make the bushing clearance kinda tight so it will eliminate any chance of clunking or rattling.

Give it a few hundred miles or days of driving & all will be perfect.

One more way of knowing it's effectiveness is the steering wheel should feel more solid when you grab it to pull yourself into the seat (us guys with 4WD trucks have to do that everytime......).

And of course, no clunking noises & less overall steering play....

Best Regards, David B. "Ram Van (& truck) Man"

Details here on this fix: www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Tyranny Rising ? The answer to 1984.....is 1776 !

"Evil is powerless, if the good are unafraid."
Ronald Reagan

"You never have to give up an ounce of Liberty to obtain security."
Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

RamVanMan

Thumbs up advice on clunking issues....thanks David B. - Posted: 08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
RamVanMan
Post #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingClassic View Post
Hi, in the process of purchasing a 1999 dodge ram 2500 4x4. i noticed loose steering and a clunk noice in the column. can you give me advise.

pete
Hi Pete:

If you read the starting few pages of this thread, you'll hear the clunking issues described from the get-go.

There are a few potential causes so be sure to check the tightness & integrity of all your steering components . Just start tracing back from the wheels upward or the steering column downward.

The good thing about his clunk is it is pretty distinctive, clunking or rattling, that is both felt & heard in the steering wheel, as if the wheel is a speaker 'shooting' the sound at the driver.

Because it originates down low in the column, where the column penetrates the firewall next to the pedals, it's also frequently felt in the pedal area.

Also, the noise should be louder with the windows up & cab quiet.

This helps to distinguish the noise from suspension noises would be the quieter with the windows up, conversely.

It usually makes the noise when coming to a stop or starting off from one, over rough pavement or expansion joints or driveway joints. Sometimes upon turning, too.

You can always grab that spring that encircles the lower end of the steering column shaft, just above the 'intermediate steering shaft' upper U-joint, grab it frimly and, like you're shaking the truck side to side, see if you can feel some play.

If you feel significant play, or if the noise changes or goes away for some time after doing this, you've pin-pointed the problem.

BTW, Dodge parts only offers the ENTIRE column, so if this oem part goes bad, they get us for $ 900 for a new column.

Our kit does away with that spring & retainer, plus the worn out OEM bearing / bushing assembly that is up inside the column tube end.

Our kit replaces it with a precision machined Delrin bushing that tightens things up, slop will be gone, steering more precise, and the annoying noise gone.

We also provide a list of 'other' things to check / or upgrade so you can make sure you've got it all covered.

So, Pete, check out your Ram and see if the symptoms of noise are what I've outlined here.

If so, I believe our kit will help fix your issue.

It's here: www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

"Stand fast, therefore, in the Liberty wherewith Christ has made us free, and be not entangled again in the yoke of bondage..." - Galatians 5:1

Last edited by RamVanMan : 08-03-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarity
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Luckiamute

Posted: 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM
State: OR
Post #343

Say thanx for your help on the sterring column problem.
I have it going on and sure would appreciate more info.

Allen

hutch8891

Posted: 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
State: FL
Post #344

i have 2-2001 5.9 qc sport 4x4's.. one has been making a rubbing squeaking sound from around the steering area for awhile.. now the other one just started to make the same noise.. there is no rattling or clunking..does your parts fix this problem as well?

Last edited by hutch8891 : 10-20-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Luckiamute

Posted: 10-21-2009, 09:19 AM
State: OR
Post #345

I see that you have the bushings. Could I get one from you?

Allen 951 265-3026

ovo

Posted: 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
State: OH
Post #346

David, just wanted to say thanks for a great product! I just finished installing the replacement bushing and the steering is noise and "play" free. After seeing the OEM bushing, it's no wonder they all wear out! The support area is approximately 3/4" as opposed to your bushing which is 2-3". Thanks for taking the time to develop the part that Mopar should have installed from the factory!
Warn 4xFlares, N-Fab Nerf Steps
255/85R16LT BFG Mud-Terrain KM2s

PMickey

Posted: 12-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Mother Mopar
City: Greenville
State: NC
Post #347

Just letting you know RamVanMan I broke down and finally ordered your kit... Ive been putting it off but I just cant stand how free my steering is! I hope to get it soon, now that Im getting some vacation I look forward to replacing the OEM crap.

Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

Patrick Mickey

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, QC 4x4, 5.9 360, 3.92
Superchips 3865
Galls Street Thunder siren, Code 3 L.E.D. Warning Dash Light, (VFD POV)
AEM CAI
Accel 8mm plug wires w/ autolite 3923s
Hi-flow Cat w/ Glasspack
LineX bedliner
Viper Alarm w/Remote Start
Leveling Kit

pick

clunk in steering wheel - Posted: 12-27-2009, 10:30 PM
State: ON
Post #348

i have a 96 3500 v 10 dually and have the clunk now and then the truck has 218000 it started about 150000 looking at your setup could the bushing be split in two and then inserted just a thought

gordywhite

Posted: 12-29-2009, 04:43 PM
State: NB
Post #349

Not to hijack a thread, but needed to know if you had a fix for simply replacing a failing u-joiint in the colomn instead of the expensive alternative of buying the entire shaft. Seems to me this should be a simple fix, but somehow you can't just buy the joint??? Anyone have a fix??

dynoman10

Posted: 01-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Dynoman10
City: Detroit
State: MI
View This User's Gallery
Post #350

Send me one, my borgeson still clunks...........................

Prohunter

Posted: 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I like GUNS.
State: GA
Post #351

Ordered mine this morning.
Trucks & Gun Club Member #132

Military Truck Club Member #125

Silver Truck Club Member #223

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." E. Burke

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

360ram14

Posted: 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
City: Atlanta
View This User's Gallery
Post #352

Ok, so I cant believe that I am just now looking through this thread. I read up to about apge 10 and culdnt keep reading lol. (lazy). I will go out and do the test check as soon as I can but here is my question...

The clunk I hear is on the rfront passenger side, usually when I am turning. Like a big clunk/pop. Is that not part of the colum you are talking about?

I will most likely buy this aprt though as my steering is very loose. Has a range of play of about 1-2 inches each side. I used to have a dead spot but that was fixed with a tightened bolt on the trac bar. Hoping my clunk/pop is what this thread is about, but not looking like it.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
Thanks,
Ethan

Vote HERE for ROTM and others!

"Is it in you?" No but its in my truck. "Gatorade for your Truck."

dynoman10

Posted: 01-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Dynoman10
View This User's Gallery
Post #353

Sounds like you may have other suspension issues on the right front, ball joint,tie rod end, etc....... Are you hearing it when in 4wd or 2wd ??

360ram14

Posted: 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #354

Well, there was a clicking sound as well and that was fixed with the replacement of a bad hub used by insurance. The clunking wasnt as abd until I put it in 4-HI when the roads were icy. I cant remember if it was after that or after I pushed the axle when I was popping over a big curb.
Also, when I was in 4-HI...It was fine straight, but when I had to turn, it turned like a bad 4-LO, with the jolting and off movement of the tires.

You see, I was hit in the front passenger tire by a minivan running a red light, so they replaced my parts with used parts to keep cost under totaling it. Have been dealing with sh^& like this since it cam outta the shop.

360ram14

Posted: 01-19-2010, 06:41 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #355

And Im hearing it in 2wd and 4wd...but worse in 4wd

dynoman10

Angry  Posted: 01-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Dynoman10
View This User's Gallery
Post #356

Sounds like a (possible) bad right hand side U-Joint, your going to have to get it in the air and take a peek. Good Luck,

360ram14

Posted: 01-20-2010, 11:19 AM
View This User's Gallery
Post #357

Appreciate it. Im going to heck the steering colum as well because I also have symptoms of that this product will fix.

RamVanMan

Thumbs up Back to you on replacing U-Joint & ideas...thanks David - Posted: 02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
RamVanMan
Post #358

Hi all:

It's been a while since I logged on, and just returned.

Life's unplanned events have a way of 'taking you for a ride', and for longer than you expected, too.

Anyhow, I have updated the notification email to us, so any questions posted here I can answer quicker than of late.

We are continuing to offer & ship the 'Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Fix Kit' and I thought I'd try to help answer some questions y'all have posted recently:

gordywhite:

The u-joints are actually on the 'intermediate steering shaft', not in the column. No one appears to offer just the joints - but only the entire shaft.

If your shaft has a bad u-joint it might help you to know & save a few $$ that the Dodge OEM shaft is actually better than the overly precise & prone to seizing aftermarket shafts. It costs about half - $ 155 last time I checked my Dodge dealer. The problem with the aftermarket ones - the Borgeson one used for 2 years, was that once the rubber boot split and allowed dirt into the sliding joint, the grit seized up the shaft & it wouldn't slide - causing my clunk to get worse than ever.

Precision is good - to a point - but can be a negative when things seize up. I had to go buy a new OEM shaft for my Ram - I had foolishly thrown the first one away (remember that when you are tempted to toss out those old, good parts, eh ?), thinking it would be of no further use.

Totally removing your intermediate steering shaft will help you do a bench exam to make sure it's the culprit.

What our kit fixes is the lower end of the Steering Column bushing / bearing assembly, which is inserted up inside the outer column tube (manual tranny Ram), or just up inside the column shift rotating tube end piece.

You can do a quick check on either auto or manual truck by grabbing that tension spring that encircles the lower column shaft end (immediately above the upper U-joint of the intermediate steering shaft), and try to 'wiggle' it back & forth.

If you feel substantial looseness or movement, then that is most likely the origination of either your clunking, rattling noise or the exessive steering play.

One way to help veryify this: Once you've done this test, the noise may change, get worse or even better for a short while - as grabbing it & wiggling it does 'reset' the tension a bit.

The bulk of the bad bushing / bearing cup is up inside so you can't see much of it. Our kit instructions guide you on how to take it out carefully & replace it with our wear-resistant Delrin precision bushing & retaining ring.

ethan, if you're all tight from the steering box down & the box is adjusted properly (see OEM service manual for best method), then your excessive play can only be caused by two factors:

1) Worn or loose intermediate steering shaft

2) Worn & loose lower end bushing, internal to the steering column, but our Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering Kit fixes that for good !

Of course, our kit has 12 + color pics & step by step so guesswork is eliminated.

[Dodge claims the column is 'non-serviceable' and will sell you a new one for $ 900 - when it's usually only one part that goes bad - how nice of them....]

Well, I hope that answers the questions that were posed. I'll make every effort to respond to posts left here, or you may send them to me direct via the link at our site, if you prefer.

Best Regards,

David B
www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

(Email / Ordering link located there...)

Ronald Reagan

Ron Paul

360ram14

Posted: 02-12-2010, 09:53 PM
View This User's Gallery
Post #359

Thanks alot!

roboden

Lightbulb  Posted: 02-17-2010, 04:15 PM
City: Eastern Pennsylvania
State: PA
Post #360

RAMVANMAN - you da man.... I gave up on getting this fixed 10 years ago. Great post, easy fix. Now all I got to do is look around the shop for a 3" round stock delrin drop and get that project thru the lathe or past the mill on the rotary table. I need a simple machine job like this with no complicated setups....

Thanks,

Rob
Closed Thread