Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found.... - Page 16 - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 2nd Gen (94 – 01) Forums > 2G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

regans5

Posted: 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
City: Independence, KY
State: KY
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #301

Hey RamVanMan,

Got a question for you. I've had my kit for over a year now & just recently got around to installing it because it was in the body shop for a fenderbender and the driver's fender was removed. That made it so easy to install. However, I tried to be gentle and hit it no harder than I had to but since i installed it I now have to pull up on the shifter to get my key out. Have you got any easy tricks to remedy this? Thanks.

SOLD

2001 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD QC/LB AUTO

Silver Truck Club Member #57

Triple pillar Isspro pyro (pre-turbo),tranny temp,turbo boost,fuel pres on steering column,BHAF w/ outerwear & heat shield,Silencer ring MIA,Straight-pipe exhaust dumped in front of rear tire,Bulldog remote entry/start/security,Westin SS step bars,Extang full-tilt bed cover,Perma-Tech spray-in,Darin Steering Stabilizer Brace,16.5x9.75 Mickey Thompson Classic II rims, 33x12.5x16.5 BFG AT/KO tires,2" TGC Leveling Kit,Stampede "Ruff-Riderz" fender-flares,BD Aux Lift Pump.

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan TDI

2004 Ford Excursion Limited 6.0 Powerstroke 4X4

More room for the youngins - Let the Mods begin

View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

DieselDork

Posted: 01-10-2009, 05:06 PM
State: OTHER
Post #302

I would like to make my own bushing myself .I have my own lathe and have some extra nylon laying around .Were can I get the measurements to make the bushing ?
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Adobedude

Posted: 01-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Post #303

Not gonna that easy...Read the whole thread.

I'd just buy one.

maximus1000

Posted: 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
City: PAX River
State: MD
Post #304

Are these still for sale?

Meierznutz

Posted: 01-31-2009, 04:48 PM
Older, but no wiser.
City: Oakville, Ct
State: CT
View This User's Gallery
Post #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDork View Post
I would like to make my own bushing myself .I have my own lathe and have some extra nylon laying around .Were can I get the measurements to make the bushing ?
Nylon is too hard and urethane is too soft. Delryn comes in many compounds and the Durameter is the key. For what you would spend in time trying to see what works and what fits, send the man a check and install one of his. He did all the research and got the thing right, let him make a few bucks on his work. I would hate to have someone, even if they are on a shoestring budget, step in and copy my hard work.
That said, I nstalled one on my truck and it was the single best mod I made. I had changed everythingin the nose of my rig twice trying to get it to steer and this was finally the cure.
'02 2500 Quad Short Box, HO Cummins, 6 speed,Fast Cooler and filter kits, Con-OFE clutch, 3:55 limited slip, Banks exhaust and Brake, K&N, Autometer Lunar series gauges, Air Dog 100gph, Adrenaline chip SOLD :-(
Current ride: 95 2500 2wd with a P-pump
90 Miata LS-1, 6 speed, 8.8 Cobra IRS
5-21-93 married, cost $15k
4-29-02 bought my Ram, cost $28k
3-15-99, 8-8-05 sons are born PRICELESS!

swirvin21

Posted: 02-18-2009, 10:53 PM
State: TX
Post #306

Hey RamVanMan!

I just found my bushing I ordered a long time ago...must have been a year or maybe more. Been in and out on military duty, lost it during the moves and finally found it again. I went back through the posts here and think I may be missing a part. I've got a black bushing and an installation tool, but can't find the retainer or instructions. I'm fairly certain I can work without the instructions, but the retainer would be nice. Can't find a receipt or anything. I'll try to email you from your site, but could you email me and see if there's any way you can help?

Reloaderdave

Posted: 03-07-2009, 05:19 PM
City: Anaheim Hills, California
State: CA
Post #307

Just a food for thought.....
When I had my 95 Ram, I received a recall notice to repair the steering
shaft due to plastic parts wearing out/breaking which could cause the
upper shaft to separate from the lower shaft. It is recall #96V230000.
Could this be the cause of what you guys are experiencing?

Dave

2002 F-150 Lariat Supercrew
5.4L, auto, 2WD
Dark Shadow Gray/Silver
Flowmaster SUV 50 series
18" Kruz Snowdown wheels
285/60/18 Sumitomo HTR Sport HP Tires

BaiN631

Posted: 03-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Post #308

How "difficult" are these to install?

Steeln1500

Posted: 03-12-2009, 11:57 PM
City: Iowa
State: IA
Post #309

I have yet to experience this in my 94'. Something I'll keep an eye on.

hwscowboy

Posted: 03-19-2009, 12:42 PM
State: AB
Post #310

I think this may very well be the problem in the 2001 2500 i just picked up.I had the front end checked out and evrything was ok,but when i drive on a rough pothole road or in my case built up ice and snow there is a definite clunk/rattle that feels like the front end is really loose.I can definitely feel it in my feet.Anyways i will check it out as i will be under the truck this weekend.If there is play i will definitely be ordering one to see if it is the fix.I will check the trackbar as well while i'm under there.The truck doesn't seem to wander or anything like that,very stable going down the highway but a definite rattle on rough roads that a can feel in my feet and hands.Mine is a 2001 2500 4x4 with the automatic,approx 220,000kms.

BigDodge99

Posted: 03-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Post #311

could be worn shock bushings.
1999 Ram 1500, 4x4, 408, 6 inch Dick Cepek lift, 2.5" King shocks, 35" BFG MT , Weld Stone Crushers, SSBC Billet Twin Piston Calipers, EGR Braided Stainless Steel Lines, Mopar tow hooks, 4.56 gears, Rockkrawler kwick disconnects, DT trac bar, True Trac in front, KB headers, True Duels w/Suppertrapp Mufflers, 47 RE, Stereo: Zapco amps, Focal componant set, 2 Kicker CompVR subs, Alpine head, and still going.

LMramer

Posted: 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Proud owner
City: cambridge springs PA
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #312

i wouldnt mind one, mine has been clunking since i bought the truck. I completely rebuilt the front end, all the steering components, trying to get rid of it. Steering is allot tighter but its still there.
off road package with the 4.10's
33x12.5 on american racing rims
shift kit
suspension leveling kit
cat back exhaust
mindblower performance module
spectre intake

among other mods

thirdgenfirescu

Posted: 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Post #313

Got the "clunk"! '01 1500 5.9 QC. Need some type of fix!

Trucks and Guns Club (#108)

MacGuy

Posted: 04-18-2009, 11:29 PM
City: Mesa
State: AZ
Post #314

good stuff thanks.

Jeffro115

Posted: 04-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Gonna Make It. . .
City: Greensburg PA
Post #315

I have had that 'clunk' forever in my truck.

It's funny how these Rams all have the exact same issues.
2006 Power Wagon. #7856. QC, 6 Speed.

1996 Ram 2500 V10! Wow.

RTC #319
God Squad Group
Don't TOUCH My Truck Club #19
Coinholders Association #115
Trucks And Guns Club #105
100K! Miles Club #9
4WD Club #38
V10 Ram Club #67
Hellas Behind The Grille Club #49

Life would be so simpler if I had a pop-up too. . .

PMickey

Posted: 04-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Mother Mopar
City: Greenville
State: NC
Post #316

Im not sure what it is??? When I stop sometimes there is a loud rattling sound. It sounds like it would be the dash but I know its not. Is there a vid of the clunk or rattling???

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, QC 4x4, 5.9 360, 3.92
Superchips 3865
Galls Street Thunder siren, Code 3 L.E.D. Warning Dash Light, (VFD POV)
AEM CAI
Accel 8mm plug wires w/ autolite 3923s
Hi-flow Cat w/ Glasspack
LineX bedliner
Viper Alarm w/Remote Start
Leveling Kit

Richie Rich

Talking It sounds like more than a bushing to me. - Posted: 05-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Richie Rich
City: Prescott Valley
Post #317

Well I'll be darned. I had the same clunk after replacing everything as well. I twisted the spring at the top of the steering shaft and the clunking went away. I am convinced it is the bushing as well. It just appeared as if something else in the front suspension was bad. I had considered the link bar bushings moving, and they were a little loose over only 80k miles. But the link bars/bushings are fine. I read the threads and tried the twisting of the spring. I also noticed significant play/movement in the steering shaft itself. It's kind of frustrating to spend all the money and all the time and then have something like that bug ya. Not to say the front end didn't need attention because it did. All steering components, pump, gearbox, balljoints, axle joints, track-bar were replaced with Moog parts. If anyone would like input on these items feel free to ask. I did it all in my own garage and saved mucho $$ in labor and added several new tools to the toolbox. The balljoints were the toughest but can be done with a press.

PMickey

Posted: 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Mother Mopar
City: Greenville
State: NC
Post #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
Well I'll be darned. I had the same clunk after replacing everything as well. I twisted the spring at the top of the steering shaft and the clunking went away. I am convinced it is the bushing as well. It just appeared as if something else in the front suspension was bad. I had considered the link bar bushings moving, and they were a little loose over only 80k miles. But the link bars/bushings are fine. I read the threads and tried the twisting of the spring. I also noticed significant play/movement in the steering shaft itself. It's kind of frustrating to spend all the money and all the time and then have something like that bug ya. Not to say the front end didn't need attention because it did. All steering components, pump, gearbox, balljoints, axle joints, track-bar were replaced with Moog parts. If anyone would like input on these items feel free to ask. I did it all in my own garage and saved mucho $$ in labor and added several new tools to the toolbox. The balljoints were the toughest but can be done with a press.

Welcome

2001 Dodge Ram 1500, QC 4x4, 5.9 360, 3.92
Superchips 3865
Galls Street Thunder siren, Code 3 L.E.D. Warning Dash Light, (VFD POV)
AEM CAI
Accel 8mm plug wires w/ autolite 3923s
Hi-flow Cat w/ Glasspack
LineX bedliner
Viper Alarm w/Remote Start
Leveling Kit

Richie Rich

That's a new one. - Posted: 05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Richie Rich
City: Prescott Valley
Post #319

I have seen pictures of the bushing that is out there in the thread, but not vids, I assume you are talking about videos? I had a 96 Dodge 2500 4x4 gasser that did that and it was a steering shaft deficiency that the dealer took care of as a recall item. And it worked whatever they replaced. It was a different clunk altogether and it definitely felt like it was in the shaft and or wheel assembly. Try looking up TSB's for your application before you do anything. Try twisting the spring in the engine compartment up at the firewall and see what that does. Good luck.

MeanThree18

Posted: 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Yea boooyeee!
State: NM
View This User's Gallery
Post #320

I decided to do my install today.

Pullin the steering column is easy. Hardest part was the damned linkage for the auto shifter! 6 bolts total, 6 (I have steering wheel controls and everything) electrical connectors, and out it came.

Cut the retainer off. Watch it go FLYING into the air.. clean it all up, press in the new bushing. tap on the retainer, put it all back together.

I think I spent longer cleaning up the trim pieces on the steering column than doing the actual work!

Downside: It didn't fix the squeak I was tryin to kill.
Upside: My steering felt 'ok' and now it's GREAT!