"POP" noise in front end? - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

auto_mran

"POP" noise in front end? - Posted: 05-09-2006, 09:34 AM
State: TX
Post #1

This has been going on every day for the past two weeks so I thought it's time to get your input on the following:

Regarding my 04 QC Ram Hemi dually, when I take off for work in the morning, as soon as I make my first right turn, I hear a single "pop" noise from the passenger side front end area. So I drop off the kids at school and continue to work making plenty of turns and all is well--no noises. At the end of the work day, I get in the truck, and again, after I make my first right turn, I hear that single "pop" noise. All is well after that.

This truck tows/hauls nothing. It is babied and only driven about 4500 miles per year, all of it city driving.

So is my truck's symptom a sign that something is starting to fail? Shock? Sway bar bushing/end link? Ball joint? The key to this whole thing is that the truck has to be sitting for a good long time for the symptom to occur.

Your thoughts are welcomed!!
AND...
2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 5.7 V8, 6 Speed
AND...
2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

enhanced250

Posted: 05-09-2006, 10:00 AM
State: NJ
Post #2

i have the same exact problem on my 05 reg cab...im gonna stay tuned and see what everyone says
AFE Stage 2-insulated
Jethot Pacesetter
Custom y-pipe,Magnaflow High Flows
Jet Stream
180 T-stat
AIT Relocated
Tranny Cooler
2/4 drop w/ leafs
e-fan (viper)
Mobil 1

Interior/Exterior
Silver Bezel, Color Matched Handles/Mirrors, Clear Healights, RBQ, Kicker TVR-10, Silverstars, Mopar front air dam, Two tone leather

After Winter
some sort of cam
a/f guage
tranny temp
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

mopar fan

Posted: 05-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Retired DT Admin
City: Milan
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #3

It sounds to me like you both have Rack and Pinion problems. Do you see and fluid leaks in that area?

Proud Member of the Original WCPW Club
If you don't stand behind our troops, PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them.

Official Dodgetalk Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/DodgeTalk
Like us! Prize Giveaways, News, and More!!!

auto_mran

Posted: 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM
Post #4

No visible leaks here.
Hey "enhanced250", do you ever hear a clicking noise coming from your steering column directly under the dash? I've been hearing it from time to time, again right after initial start-up and first turn of the wheel. This has been on-going, albeit intermittent, for the past year or so. I blew it off because I just know the dealer will write "can't duplicate customer's complaint" on the service ticket. However, that pop noise has been consistent for the past 2 weeks.
AND...
2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS, 5.7 V8, 6 Speed
AND...
2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra

enhanced250

Posted: 05-09-2006, 02:27 PM
State: NJ
Post #5

mine isnt a ticking but more of a squeak or squeal...i just figured something needed to be lubricated but now thinking its something more serious......
AFE Stage 2-insulated
Jethot Pacesetter
Custom y-pipe,Magnaflow High Flows
Jet Stream
180 T-stat
AIT Relocated
Tranny Cooler
2/4 drop w/ leafs
e-fan (viper)
Mobil 1

Interior/Exterior
Silver Bezel, Color Matched Handles/Mirrors, Clear Healights, RBQ, Kicker TVR-10, Silverstars, Mopar front air dam, Two tone leather

After Winter
some sort of cam
a/f guage
tranny temp

snoopyz

Posted: 05-09-2006, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Odd.. I've been getting that POP kinda noise going on too.. only on turns... hmmm. And the other day, after starting my truck after it had been sitting all day in the heat, the computer threw a code :S Plugged my SC in to read it, and it came back P0442 - EVAP LEAK MONITOR MEDIUM LEAK DETECTED. I cleared the code and turned it back on and it didnt come back after driving it around again. But again today, after the same condition..parking it..then driving it.. it threw the code again. Cleared..and good to go. Not even sure how serious this is :S

Current Mods:
Superchips Tuner
Power Wire + Jet Stream Scoop (thx AirRam)
Home Brew CAI (4" PVC + HUGE K&N RF-1008 RACE FILTER)
Bosch +4 Spark Plugs

Planned Mods:
Electric Fan
Electric Cut Out

one short of

Posted: 05-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Dodge Fanatic!
City: Houston / NorthShore
View This User's Garage
Post #7

ME TOO !! One time in the morning from the front end kinda like me popping my neck when i wake up. Damn my truck has bad joints too .

snoopyz

Posted: 05-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Post #8

Ahhhhhh... ya, I'd really love to hear if someone has a solution. And I wonder if it would still be covered under warranty... hmmm.
And oh ya, in regards to my code P0442, I was searching other threads.. could be a leak detected in the gas cap, or a hose connecting to the gas tank, or a cannister gone bad... I'm assuming its nothing major as it only happens when sitting in the heat, but WHO KNOWS. Doesnt throw it once I've driven it around after getting the code and cleared it, or in the morning when its cold... SOOO its not related to the popping at any rate

Current Mods:
Superchips Tuner
Power Wire + Jet Stream Scoop (thx AirRam)
Home Brew CAI (4" PVC + HUGE K&N RF-1008 RACE FILTER)
Bosch +4 Spark Plugs

Planned Mods:
Electric Fan
Electric Cut Out

clarence40

Posted: 05-10-2006, 06:38 AM
Post #9

For me the popping noise was caused by a bad upper control arm bushing on the drivers side. The bushing on the rear of the control arm had worn to the point that when the control arm shifted forward, there would be metal to metal contact. The popping noise was heard if I made a quick stop or if I was making a turn.
Closed Thread