Gas Gauge Not Accurate - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Durango 2nd Gen (04 - 09) Forums > 2G Dodge Durango General Talk

Closed Thread

msb1766

Gas Gauge Not Accurate - Posted: 05-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Post #1

I have an 05 Durango STL with the Hemi, The gas gauge is not reading accurately, The needle was half way between 3/4 and Empty filled the tank, it took 18 gallons of gas to fill it up. Any one else having this problem.
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

jeromejenkins

Arrow  Posted: 05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
lostsoul trapped in time
City: Pittsburgh! Playa!
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msb1766
I have an 05 Durango STL with the Hemi, The gas gauge is not reading accurately, The needle was half way between 3/4 and Empty filled the tank, it took 18 gallons of gas to fill it up. Any one else having this problem.
Did you mean the needle was at 1/4 and empty? The tank is a 27 gallon tank and with each 1/4 of a tank being approx. 6.75 gallons of gas, 18 gallons when the needle is at the 1/4 mark sounds correct.
-205MM Front Axle
-3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
-Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
-Tow Package
-Magnaflow exhaust kit (cat-back bolt-on)
-2" Front Torsion Lift
-Airaid Jr. Air Intake (coming soon)
-368 watt Infinity 8 speaker sound system w/6 disc cd player
-Adjustable gas/brake pedals
-Heated leather seats/mirrors
-Removed rubber intake flap

2005 Dodge Durango SLT (Gone but not forgotten)
-Deep Molten Lava Red
-4.7L Magnum V8 (Nope, it's not a Hemi....Baby Hemi)
-3.55 Gears AWD (no tow package)
-Chopped off resonator/2nd muffler for throatier sound
-2" Front Torsion Lift
-Airaid Jr. Air Intake
-Sony M630 Headunit
-Kicker L5 10" Solo-Baric (2ohm setup)
-Kicker KX400.1 (450RMS@2ohm)
-Official Dodgetalk.com sticker (Nope, it doesnt add 5hp)
Gen II Durango Chopped Resonator Member #2 Click here for more info!Chopped Resonator
Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #21
Click here to join! Dodgetalk.com Durango Club
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

abcone

Posted: 05-09-2006, 10:08 AM
State: NH
Post #3

My 2005 does the same. When the needle is on E the most I been able to get into it is 21.5 Gallons.

jeromejenkins

Posted: 05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
lostsoul trapped in time
City: Pittsburgh! Playa!
State: PA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #4

I've gotten 29gallons (topping off) into the tank from E. Did this during my last trip from pittsburgh to philly a few months back. I also think that is what triggered my Service Engine light to come on when I filled up the 2nd time in philly.
-205MM Front Axle
-3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
-Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle
-Tow Package
-Magnaflow exhaust kit (cat-back bolt-on)
-2" Front Torsion Lift
-Airaid Jr. Air Intake (coming soon)
-368 watt Infinity 8 speaker sound system w/6 disc cd player
-Adjustable gas/brake pedals
-Heated leather seats/mirrors
-Removed rubber intake flap

2005 Dodge Durango SLT (Gone but not forgotten)
-Deep Molten Lava Red
-4.7L Magnum V8 (Nope, it's not a Hemi....Baby Hemi)
-3.55 Gears AWD (no tow package)
-Chopped off resonator/2nd muffler for throatier sound
-2" Front Torsion Lift
-Airaid Jr. Air Intake
-Sony M630 Headunit
-Kicker L5 10" Solo-Baric (2ohm setup)
-Kicker KX400.1 (450RMS@2ohm)
-Official Dodgetalk.com sticker (Nope, it doesnt add 5hp)
Gen II Durango Chopped Resonator Member #2 Click here for more info!Chopped Resonator
Dodgetalk.com Durango Club Member #21
Click here to join! Dodgetalk.com Durango Club

GlassJoe

Posted: 05-09-2006, 08:31 PM
City: Gulfport
State: MS
Post #5

I've had my Limited D w/ a HEMI for about 6 months I am one of those people who take it down as far as I can without refueling - just for the stupid thrill of it I guess. Anyway, I have never been able to get any more than 23.5 gallons in my tank. I've read where it has a 27 gallon tank but when my needle hits "E" and the electronic guage says 0 miles left, it only takes 23 or so gallons to fill it back up. I did post something on this very topic several months ago and was told that when the electronic fuel capacity readout reflects 0 you have about 30 or so miles as a reserve until the D will stop running. 30 or so miles equates to about 2-3 gallons of petro with the HEMI so 23.5G at E + 3G on reserve is right on the money with the 27 gallon advertised capacity.

tnielsen

Posted: 05-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Post #6

The Durango's have a 3-4 gallon reserve. The fuel pump is located inside of the gas tank and in order to keep it lubricated, it needs gas. He said the 3-4 gallons insure that the pump will not burn up. When it reads "E" or 0 Mile DTE you have about 3-4 gallons left, but try not to test it. If the fuel pump burns up, it can cost lots of $$$$.

1st_dodge

Posted: 05-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Post #7

I experience the exact same problem but I found that I can squeeze another 4.5 to 5 gallons into the tank even after the gas nozzle does the auto-off. My uneducated guess is that too much pressure is building up in the fuel tank neck which is causing the fuel to back-up and therefore triggering the auto-shut off in the gas nozzle. The dealer of course can't duplicate the problem. (Also - had tank replaced under the recall). I'd be curious if you can add fuel even after the auto-off.

gregor7777

Posted: 05-20-2006, 09:08 AM
Post #8

Odd indeed...I have had the exact same issue. Ran it to E and I've never added more than 21 gallons or so...thought the 27 gal tank thing was false.

KED_Rango

Posted: 05-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Post #9

Our driveway is a little hill - if the needle is reading 1/4 - when I back out and drive away my gas light goes on with the chime and about 5 miles down the road it starts reading acurately again. Very weird and annoying.
Closed Thread