Windshield Wiper problem... - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums
 HOME  FORUMS  GALLERY  GARAGE  TECH  CLASSIFIEDS  LINKS  MEMBER MAP  ARCHIVE  SPONSORS
INFO SITE HELP ARCADE TELL-A-FRIEND STAFF CONTACT US AUTO LOANS

DodgeTalk.com is the premier Dodge forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Go Back   DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums > Dodge Truck, SUV and Van Forums > Dodge Ram Truck 3rd Gen (02 08) Forums > 3G Dodge RAM - General Talk

Closed Thread

DamnYankee

Windshield Wiper problem... - Posted: 04-27-2006, 09:25 PM
State: MI
Post #1

My truck is an '05. I have an intermittent problem with the wiper operation. Sometimes when I turn on the wipers, they work fine for a second or two then suddenly stop in the middle of the windshield - no matter what speed setting, their dead. I'll jack the speed knob around to no avail. Then all of a sudden they start operating again. Sometimes the malfunction will last for 10 seconds and man, if this happens in a heavy storm, there's gonna be an accident. Are the wipers controlled by the computer and not electronically by the wiper switch?

Has anyone else experience this? Thanks!
4x4 with Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly transfer case
17x8 Factory Aluminum Forged Rims with P265 BFGs
Light Group
Security Group
Protection Group
Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group
Quad Cab Big Horn Group
Folding Flat Floor Storage
Factory RDS Stereo
Stainless Steel Dodge Door Sills
Superchips Flashpak
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

mheideman

Posted: 04-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Whiskey Bent & Hell Bound
City: Sacramento Area
State: CA
View This User's Gallery View This User's Garage
Post #2

Might be a relay in the fuse box about to go out. Not positive though.

bruce1

Posted: 04-27-2006, 11:50 PM
City: pacifica
State: CA
Post #3

Happpened me in a F150 on the freeway in a rainstorm,could'nt see a thing,did'nt even
no what lane i was in.The wipers use to work fine and sometimes stop for a minute
and restart,turned out it was the wiper motor on the way out.
rear hemi sport ground effects,chrome pipe welded
on and raised to fit ground effects,bilstein shocks,
baer drilled and slotted rotors all round,calipers painted red,front bumper step,fog light plastic and
air dam colour coded,dyno matted,rhino liner,
weather tech window vents,
View Public ProfileSend a private message to %1$sSend email to %1$sFind all posts by %1$sAdd %1$s to Your Buddy List Reply Reply With Quote

Blackhemiquad

Posted: 04-28-2006, 12:17 AM
2004 Black_Hemi_QC
City: Vancouver B.C. Canada
State: BC
Post #4

Get it checked by the dealer, it'll be covered under the warranty
Iceburg Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
Color matched Arrow Matrix Canopy
Mopar Mud Flaps
Armaguard over rail spray in box liner
COIN HOLDER ASSOCIATION MEMBER #30 S.N.A.T.C.H.!!!
BLACK TRUCK MEMBER # 46

PowerWagon896

Posted: 04-28-2006, 04:56 AM
Hotsxyfarmtruck
City: Massena NY
State: NY
View This User's Garage
Post #5

Mine quit working once for several days. Fortunately it was very cold and the wipers were not needed.

Well guess what? After I even checked them the night I left the truck at the dealer, as soon as they brought it inside, the wipers worked.

I am still having an issue with erratic function on the "intermitant" mode.

When on "intermitant" mode the wipers will sometimes stroke 2, 3 or even 4 times before returning to "intermitant".
2005 Power Wagon #0896, standard cab, 8' bed, flame red
Standard vinyl interior (no cloth)
5 Sp automatic
Factory winch kit (24,000# snatch block, 30,000# 3/4" shackle, 30' 30,000# recovery strap, 36,000# tree trunk protector, Power Wagon logo gloves and a handy dandy carry bag with Power Wagon logo.)
Add ons:
CR Lawrence rear sliding window
Splash guards
Spray in bed liner (black)
Mopar tailgate protector
Flowmaster Super 40 muffler single 3" in 2 1/2" split rear dual
3 1/2" polished stainless exhuast tips
RustCheck Rust proofing added 11/8/05
Lund "Genesis Tri-Fold" soft tonneau cover added 11/23/05
K&N drop in filter added 3/10/06
Super chips #3815 installed 12/22/05 91 octane 6300rpm (bye-bye Hypertech)
/\__/\
(='.'=) This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty to your
(")_(") signature to help him keep world domination

No nonsense farm/work/woods/huntin'/fishin' truck ready to haul (in a hurry)

HEMI450HP

Posted: 04-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Moe's Performance
City: Conroe, TX
State: TX
View This User's Timeslip View This User's Dyno Entries
Post #6

My wipers locked up on me once, and would make a loud poping noise while they were on...so I took it to the dealer, and they replaced the motor under warranty, no questions asked.

DamnYankee

Posted: 05-03-2006, 09:47 AM
State: MI
Post #7

The motor isn't the problem at all.

It rained yesterday and I only had slow speed wipers at all settings. Turn the motor off and restart, and everything is fine. It's like the wipers are possessed. Sometimes they work normal, other times they don't, and other times I get one speed setting.

That's why I'm wondering if its a software glitch? It's obvious these wipers aren't hardwired from battery to wiper motor to wiper selector switch back to wiper motor.
4x4 with Electronic Shift-on-the-Fly transfer case
17x8 Factory Aluminum Forged Rims with P265 BFGs
Light Group
Security Group
Protection Group
Heavy Duty Snow Plow Prep Group
Quad Cab Big Horn Group
Folding Flat Floor Storage
Factory RDS Stereo
Stainless Steel Dodge Door Sills
Superchips Flashpak

Whip

Posted: 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Village Idiot
City: Califon
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWagon896
I am still having an issue with erratic function on the "intermitant" mode.

When on "intermitant" mode the wipers will sometimes stroke 2, 3 or even 4 times before returning to "intermitant".
Did you ever get this rectified? I experienced this today on my '05 2500. I thought this had happened to me before but could never be sure until I witnessed it a couple of times today.

jmbones

Posted: 06-07-2006, 08:26 PM
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
City: SKOOK
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip
Did you ever get this rectified? I experienced this today on my '05 2500. I thought this had happened to me before but could never be sure until I witnessed it a couple of times today.
Not to hijack the thread but the wipers on my '05 PW do the same thing on intermittent, except they will only go twice in a row, then back to intermittent. It does it all the time. I always thought it had something to do with the "variable" part, since the wiper speed is adjusted by vehicle speed when on intermittent (hence, "Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers" on the sitcker).

His problem also seems like a software bug but more dangerous, I'd definately get it checked out.

2008 Avenger R/T (Chrysler 100,000 mile club)

2013 Laramie Power Wagon
Nav - Rear ParkSense - Remote Start
Factory Spray In Bedliner - Rear Defrost
PM me for Winch Mob Decals

Last edited by jmbones : 06-07-2006 at 08:32 PM.

Whip

Posted: 06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Village Idiot
City: Califon
State: NJ
View This User's Gallery
Post #10

OK. Didn't know about the "variable" part of the intermittant wipers. Seems it was doing it at cruise speed but I'll have to keep a closer eye on it and see. Thanks.

Rah

Posted: 06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
2005 Power Wagon # 2550
City: Minneapolis
State: MN
View This User's Gallery
Post #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWagon896
...When on "intermitant" mode the wipers will sometimes stroke 2, 3 or even 4 times before returning to "intermitant".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbones
Not to hijack the thread but the wipers on my '05 PW do the same thing on intermittent, except they will only go twice in a row, then back to intermittent. It does it all the time. I always thought it had something to do with the "variable" part, since the wiper speed is adjusted by vehicle speed when on intermittent (hence, "Variable Intermittent Windshield Wipers" on the sitcker).

His problem also seems like a software bug but more dangerous, I'd definately get it checked out.
I'm having the same problem it sounds like (creepy that the Power Wagons guys are complaining in particular). Once in a while, the wipers wipe twice. Then I noticed it happening more often. Then it would do it three, even four times....weird. I considered it some stupid annoying thing until a few days ago when the wipers wouldn't turn on unless I popped them to a constant speed or "fast". But as soon as I flipped them back to intermittent or off, the wipers froze wherever they were.

After 2 minutes of cursing at it, they resumed "normal" operation. This seems like a recall waiting to happen, this could be potentially very dangerous!!!

Got rid of her and the truck, which do you think I miss more?

2013 1500 Outdoorsman QC 2005 Power Wagon QC # 2550 (Traded in June 2013) 2003 Ram 2500 HEMI QC 4x4 (Traded for PW Aug 2005) 1994 Ram 1500 4x4 318 (Sold Sep 2004) 1993 Stealth R/T Twin Turbo (Crushed by tree June 2013) 1980 Plymouth TrailDuster 4x4 1999 Durango 4x4 (Sold Oct 2002)

jmbones

Posted: 06-08-2006, 10:47 AM
2013 Laramie Power Wagon
City: SKOOK
State: PA
View This User's Gallery
Post #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rah
I'm having the same problem it sounds like (creepy that the Power Wagons guys are complaining in particular). Once in a while, the wipers wipe twice. Then I noticed it happening more often. Then it would do it three, even four times....weird. I considered it some stupid annoying thing until a few days ago when the wipers wouldn't turn on unless I popped them to a constant speed or "fast". But as soon as I flipped them back to intermittent or off, the wipers froze wherever they were.

After 2 minutes of cursing at it, they resumed "normal" operation. This seems like a recall waiting to happen, this could be potentially very dangerous!!!
Niiiice. I see a pattern here. I guess I should expect mine to go 3 or 4 time straight soon!

2008 Avenger R/T (Chrysler 100,000 mile club)

2013 Laramie Power Wagon
Nav - Rear ParkSense - Remote Start
Factory Spray In Bedliner - Rear Defrost
PM me for Winch Mob Decals

Closed Thread