P0499 Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High - DodgeTalk : Dodge Car Forums, Dodge Truck Forums and Ram Forums

#1 Old 04-25-2006, 11:33 PM
adnedarn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
P0499 Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High

Hello all... I'm getting a code "P0499 Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High" my Haynes book does not show the code but on the internet I have found the above as what the code means. Although, that is in mass engine code listings, i have found NO ONE talking of this particular code.
Anyway, I've checked the gas cap (only a few months old locking cap) ALL the evap hoses, replaced the ourge control solenoid by the battery and the code still comes up as soon as I start the truck. The only other part I see in the evap system is the manual leak detection thingie... which i took apart the elecrical connection and made sure it was clean and such and it still didn't help. But if it was this wouldn't it be a cod p0455, p0456, or p0457?
Any thoughts on this would be GREATLY appriciated. :-)
Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-26-2006, 03:45 PM
adnedarn

(Thread Starter)
Okay, was a pretty easy repair once I got out there and got into it. A little bit of testing per alldata data pages.... And I found the problem. And if any of you reading this have over sized tires, you should go check this on yours too and solve it before it happens. My wires WERE tied up like they were supposed to be, but for my size tires, it just wasn't enough. This is in the drivers side tire well on the side toward the cab. You can see a connector there of 2 wires. Mine were worn down right at the connector so that they were touching and 1 wire was broken completly off of the connector. Here is a picture to help you "picture" it. I broke off the 2nd wired before I thought about taking a picture... So you can see that hanging down. I just cut the connector off butt connected them together, some shrink wrap, wire loom and electrical tape to get it out of the way... Hope this can help someone.
-Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truckwire.jpg (83.6 KB, 109 views)

-Andrew
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4 x 4, 4.7L Details at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2223442
#3 Old 07-30-2006, 03:59 PM
jsparone

Engine Code P0499

I am currently having the same trouble on a 2003 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7L V8...has anyone found a solution???
#4 Old 07-30-2006, 04:08 PM
jsparone

Having same issues on 2003 dodge dakota extended cab with the 4.7L V8. Checked the above and everything appears to be OK. Any other ideas???
#5 Old 07-31-2006, 05:20 AM
adnedarn

(Thread Starter)
Disconnect the NVLD Assembly harness connector. Measure the resistance of the NVLD Solenoid coil. The resistance should be between 7.5 and 8.5 ohms. If not- Replace the NVLD Assembly. (If I remember correctly, I bought one and it was not the problem. So let me know if you need one, maybe we can work a deal out...)
If that is okay, probe the wire side of that connector, wire color "white with dark green stripe" (power) and other side of tester to a GOOD ground, or negative power. Is the voltage above 1.0 volt? If yes. You have a short in the wiring somewhere like i did. follow the wiring from the NVLD up to the engine compartment looking for the problem.
If that is not the problem, you need to see a mechanic, as you need to probe the PCM harness connectors next to test and that takes a special tool. Good luck.
Andrew

-Andrew
2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4 x 4, 4.7L Details at:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2223442
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to use most of our features, you must first register.
Please enter your desired User Name, your Email Address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
The registration process requires you to activate your membership by following a link in an E-Mail that will be sent to you immediately upon completing this form. You must enter a valid email address or you will not receive this activation code and you will NOT be registered. Your E-Mail address is NOT publicly available to anyone as policy.

AOL E-MAIL USERS: Please click HERE for important info pertaining to your e-mail address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.