DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear wheel locking in 4 Wheel Drive when turning

14K views 55 replies 15 participants last post by  GrimReaper 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what might be the problem when my right rear wheel is locking up while in 4 wheel drive and turning? The slightest turn and it's locking up.

04 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi

#2 · (Edited)
Rear Drum or Disc Brakes? First check to see if that wheels brakes or e-brake pads are stuck. If not its most likely your differential or a bad wheel bearing.

#3 ·
LSD sounds like it might be locking up, not allowing the tires to spin at different rates.

#5 ·
Is the rearend stock? It does sound like a bearing or brake problem. I'd jack up the rear, pull the wheel/tire off and take a look. You may be able to see something obvious BEFORE you start tearing into the diff.

#6 ·
as said jack the rear up, and try turn one tire, if you have the lsd the other tire will turn the other way. If you can't turn the tire, something is binding up. the reason I think it's a diff problem though, is cause it only happens when you stick it in 4wd, is since in 4wd the front tires are pulling on the truck, and there may be something loose inside your rear and when the front tires pull, it mis algins the LSd in the rear, and causes it to lock up. Which tire locks up, to me it sounds like it will be the out side tire squealing when you goto turn. Casue this tire would sping faster when making aturn, so if something is out of alignment it would cause that tire to slide acros the ground insstead of spining faster.

or is it the same tire no matter which way you turn, if it's the same side, then it's just something with that side, posibbly as already said bearings may be going out, which would cause that tire to bind up when being 'pulled' by the front.
just my thoughts on it.

#7 ·
You didn't mention to put it in neutral. If both rear wheels are off the ground and he tries to spin either tire while the trans is in park, the lsd will prevent either tire from rotating in either direction and he might think that's a problem when it really isn't.

An open diff will allow rotation of the rear wheels in opposite directions when one wheel is rotated while the trans is in park.

#11 ·
So it does NOT do it when you are in 2WD? How about when backing up and turning in 4WD?

#13 ·
Viking07 said:
Only in 4 WD. It happens when backing up as well.
That is a strange one FOR SURE!! In 4WD or out of 4WD the rear end does the same thing, that what really baffles me.
WELL, why women get really upset when you forget to put the toilet seat down baffles me too, so I guess I'm easily baffled :D :D AH well, Keep us posted.

#15 ·
Sounds like LSD or Brakes. Bearing wouldn't cause that. Have you run it in 4wd before with no issues? The other thing would be different front and rear axle ratios done by previous owner. 3.92 rear, 4.10's front. (that would be a mojor oops, if you never tested the 4wd before.

#16 ·
Sounds like LSD or Brakes. Bearing wouldn't cause that. Have you run it in 4wd before with no issues? The other thing would be different front and rear axle ratios done by previous owner. 3.92 rear, 4.10's front. (that would be a mojor oops, if you never tested the 4wd before).

#19 ·
4wd adds the 2nd drive line power/drag. resistance from the front system engages and could be transmitted to the rear driveline. I say could.

#21 ·
Viking07 said:
YellowKota2k, don't you have anything better to do.
I was trying to prevent you from ruining your truck by driving it on pavement when in 4wd, but apparently you think I'm just trying to be an ass to you.

Viking07 said:
Why do you think Dodge make 4WD trucks?
It wasn't to drive around on pavement with 4wd engaged. If you read your owners manual like I said you'd already know that.

#22 ·
The reason i posted here is to get help with a problem that is occuring when using the 4WD. If you are trying to help don't make smart ass comments like "Not driving around in 4wd will solve your problem". How will that solve my problem? Don't you think it is better to fix whatever is wrong before something else happens due to this problem, instead of ignoring it and just use 2WD?

#23 ·
no reason to argue, I think Yellow thought you were just drving around in 4wd all the time since yousaid the rear wheel is locking up cause if it was on slick ground, you wouldn't notice. But if you're driving in 4wd when you need to there is nothing wrong with that.

#24 ·
Viking07 said:
The reason i posted here is to get help with a problem that is occuring when using the 4WD. If you are trying to help don't make smart ass comments like "Not driving around in 4wd will solve your problem". How will that solve my problem? Don't you think it is better to fix whatever is wrong before something else happens due to this problem, instead of ignoring it and just use 2WD?
It wasn't a smart ass comment, I was being completely serious. It will solve your problem because if it's only happening in 4wd and not 2wd, then you're having driveline binding issues.

Now answer this question. Does it happen when you're on snowy/icy roads, or does it happen on clear roads?

#25 ·
Ok, I am not sitting driving in 4WD unless it is needed due to bad road conditions, you are right that that would be pretty stupid. I do a whole lot of driving on small slicky mountain roads when it is a good thing to have 4WD. When I noticed the problem I was trying to get up a +45 degree slope where it was necessary to engage 4WD to get up, you can compare it to try to get out of a ditch. I had to turn at the same time due to little space. I noticed that my rear right wheel was just skidding in the sand. I got up on from there and put it 2WD and drove home and did not think more about it, until we got some really icy roads here last weekend and had to engage 4WD I felt the truck pulling to one side in the back and heard the back wheel skid on the ice, but only when turning. I don't know if it is doing it on a clear street or not, but I will test it later this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.